Preview The 2012 Brownlow Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thommo gets 40 touches against Cats and gets ZERO votes......WTF?
Probably fair, he was pretty fumbly and gave away plenty of frees. Hawkins stiff with only 1, Kelly with 2 a bit odd I thought, Selwood also stiff with none, and Dangerfield surprised me with 3 - even though he was BOG it was in a team that lost by five goals.

Zorko with 1 in the Brisbane game is a bit of a head scratcher, thought Dangerfield or Bewick deserved it. Watson with 3 against us was a joke, he choked multiple times. Where was Brodie Smith in those votes? Ablett getting 3 in the first match was an absolute travesty - Thommo deserved equal second and that shocker stopped him. Callinan surprisingly got his first and likely last vote against GC in Rd 24.

Won't complain, Watson had an outstanding year in a crap side and thoroughly deserved it. Thommo and Danger shared votes with each other which prevented either one from winning it but I'm not too fussed. I'm very confident Danger will snare win in the coming years.

A3jrF4CCIAA-ZT5.jpg

He does look like he's having fun, he is not too worried about the voting.
Looking at polling votes of a different kind post medal count by the look of it - and several at that!!

Thommo gets 40 touches against Cats and gets ZERO votes......WTF?

Hear Paddy?

"You had FORTY TOUCHES that game!!"

Shame none of our boys won, but couldn't have been prouder of the guys we had on our table.

Talia ended up with them as well; as a table we arguably had the strongest, youngest footballing talent there.

And the guys were clearly having a great time as well - good on them.

Can't wait for Rory and Paddy to have another pre-season behind them!

Particularly Rory for mine

Some of his polling earlier in the year reinforced that he definitely dropped off a bit in the second half of the year (and often in the second half of games).

Can't wait to see him when he hits peak fitness. That contest he won against Sewell (I think? maybe lewis?) in the last on Saturday was amazing, body on body, ball at their feet managed to bend, scoope up the ball, stand up faster than his opponent coudl blink and then push off him and take off. Magic stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ScottThompsonBrownlow.JPG
I wonder if the Johnson incident had any bearing.

It's a 'best and fairest' count and maybe the umps have presumed a level of guilt which wasn't there and downgraded his performance based on that?

Nah, he was getting Free Against early on too. Interestingly sometimes high FA meant no votes, other times not. maybe when he wasn't getting the ball he gave away frees = not a great game=no votes.

Have a look.

I wonder if the Johnson incident had any bearing.

It's a 'best and fairest' count and maybe the umps have presumed a level of guilt which wasn't there and downgraded his performance based on that?

Actually, isn't it now known as the fairest and best?

Particularly Rory for mine

Some of his polling earlier in the year reinforced that he definitely dropped off a bit in the second half of the year (and often in the second half of games).

Can't wait to see him when he hits peak fitness. That contest he won against Sewell (I think? maybe lewis?) in the last on Saturday was amazing, body on body, ball at their feet managed to bend, scoope up the ball, stand up faster than his opponent coudl blink and then push off him and take off. Magic stuff.
It was against Mitchell from memory?

Does anyone know where there's an easy to access archive of Brownlow votes by year/player? I'd be interested in having a look for a correlation between winning teams and votegetters (i.e. did Gabblett set some sort of record this year, playing in a losing side?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back