gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Does any one else get the feeling that for once, the AFL want us to do well? Could this draw be any better!? Well just a little but not much.

Thursday, March 29
Richmond
MCG
Away
7:40pm

Weren't a pushover in last years game and have improved but so have we. I don't think we will beat them by over 100 points but it should be a comfortable win. Should be a healthy crowd.

Thursday, April 5
Brisbane Lions
Gabba
Away

Playing away doesn't really matter when your opposition is no good, should be another easy win.

Friday, April 13
Collingwood
MCG
Home
7:50pm

Finished 2011 with a lot of underdone players and lost the grand final. Still went close to winning it and will only get better from that. Could be the marque game of the year. Could go either way. Maybe coming off a long break advantages us here.

Saturday, April 21
Essendon
MCG
Home
1:45pm

They are no good but they have a history of upsetting us, especially in the first encounter. Those days surely are over. Again we have a long break.

Friday, April 27
Fremantle
Patersons Stadium
Away
6:40pm

We gave them a good touch up over there this year but surely they will be a much improved team. I recon Ross Lyon will be a flop. Can't see his game style working, especially on that big ground with just 3 on the bench. Danger game but should be a win, wide open spaces will do us just as many favors as any other team in the AFL if not more in 2012. We are coming off a short break and a flight, might be tough, could see some changes to the team this week.

Sunday, May 6
GWS GIANTS
Etihad Stadium
Home
1:10pm

Just like the GC, they will be no good in their first year, this could get ugly but I expect us to rest players for this game. Could get to see new faces and guys in new roles. Perhaps Mitchell, McCarthy, Watson etc could be coming in. Touhy on the ball. Changes like this. Possibly a game where we rest players and try things. We are coming off a long break.

Monday, May 14
St. Kilda
Etihad Stadium
Away

St. Kilda are the unknown but I recon they are done and will experience a similar decline we did in 2001. They will be competitive but should not be able to beat us. We touched them up this year and they beat us in a dead rubber. Should be fresh after a long break.

Sunday, May 20
Adelaide Crows
Etihad Stadium
Home
3:15pm

I don't rate Adelaide. Poor list management and a fine example of how your list gets when you go out chasing talls flat out. The opposite to what we have done. Should be better this year but still middle of the road. The pushed us last year because of our bad kicking at goal. Short break might come into it but I doubt it.

Sunday, May 27
Melbourne
MCG
Home

We've really had it over them but so have most sides. Not sure where they will go after losing Skully. Can't see them going to far forwards. Win here.

Saturday, June 2
Port Adelaide
AAMI Stadium
Away
7:10pm

Terrible list and a massive job. Reality is they should be following a 10 year plan because it's going to take that long. Easy win, again playing a weak side interstate. We are on a flight after a short break playing a weak side, I'm tipping a few team changes but still a win.

Friday, June 8
Geelong Cats
Etihad Stadium
Home

Terrible fixturing having this game at Etihad. Will fill the ground and have 20,000 or 30,000 miss out on going by having it there. Geelong should be a good side and again challenge for the flag. This will be an absolute blockbuster and cracking game like it was this year. Could go either way.

Thursday, June 14
West Coast Eagles
Patersons Stadium
Away
5:40pm

A rematch of that final that we got so close in. I'm not sure WCE's will improve a hell of a lot in 2012 but we sure will. Should be a good game in front of a full house. We will be fielding a far superior side over there than we did in the final with even more pace, skill and height. I think we will win in a close one and use the extra space better than the eagles.
Again we are flying after a short break! This will make it tough.

Bye

Coming at a great time just after a tough game in the west.

Friday, June 29
Hawthorn
MCG
Home

Coming off a bye we will probably be flat and will probably lose to a side known for taking advantage of sides not at 100%. They have had the wood over us and I think will be very good in 2012. Last year we were embarrassed by Hawthorn in our worst performance of the year. I have a bad feeling we might lose this one but it will be very interesting. Should be a massive crowd at the MCG.

Friday, July 6
Collingwood
MCG
Away

Again a 50/50 game that will go to the fittest team with most of their best 22. Another full house and another great game of football.

Friday, July 13
North Melbourne
Etihad Stadium
Away

Always a danger game against a side who will be improved. They play well against us and will be a little better and looking to play finals. We should win but I'm never confident against NM.

Saturday, July 21
Western Bulldogs
Etihad Stadium
Away

They are a big unknown. New coach, young quality players in their second year and Lake returning. Were tipped to go a long way in 2011 and turned to rabble. Will they make up for it in 2012? Hard to say, I feel they will be there abouts in the bottom 4 of the finals. They have had the wood on us of recent years. This is a real danger game but we have the long break advantage.

Saturday, July 28
Richmond
MCG
Home

Richmond have been finishing seasons poorly. Again I think they will get tired with their young list and lack of depth and we will likely walk over them.

Sunday, August 5
Sydney Swans
Etihad Stadium
Home

One we should win. I don't think the swans will improve in 2012 and we are coming off a long break.

Saturday, August 11
Brisbane Lions
Etihad Stadium
Home

We play them twice, lucky us. We are coming off a short break, won't bother us, perhaps another game where sore players are rested.

Saturday, August 18
Essendon
MCG
Away
1:45pm

They faded out last year due to injuries and a lack of depth. I don't see them doing a lot in 2012, should be a similar result to the last few times we played them.

Saturday, August 25
Gold Coast SUNS
Metricon Stadium
Away

Will probably surprise us and put up a fight but I think we will finish strongly over them.

TBC
St. Kilda
Etihad Stadium
Home
TBC

This may or may not be a good thing.

The Good

When we play interstate we play on the wide open spaces in Perth which will suit our fast running attacking football. We also play The Lions, Fremantle and Port Adelaide interstate.

We play the Lions, Essendon, Richmond twice. Playing St. Kilda twice could be a good thing too.

9 Thursday/Friday night fixtures.

The Bad

We play Collingwood twice and St. Kilda might be good.

Less blockbuster games at Etihad, most games every one will get a chance to see us live. Last year we hosted Hawthorn and Geelong at Etihad which was a joke.

Last year we played a block buster against Geeling at Etihad. 20 or 30,000 people missed out because of it. Did the AFL learn? Nope, we again play the reining premiers at Ethiad and again 30,000 odd people will miss out seeing the game live. For the record we play Melbourne (draws 40,000 odd at best) at the MCG, a team we played there twice last year in front of average crowds that would have looked good inside etihad. This game should be swapped as the Melbourne game is our home game anyway as is the Geelong game. Even the second Richmond game would be better at Etihad than this. I get the feeling that crowd drawing capacity consideration is not great. Another blunder.

5 maybe 6 night games at Etihad. Last year our goal kicking accuracy at Etihad at night was appalling. Lets hope that is not the case in 2012.

Short breaks.

We fly interstate 3 times after short breaks. Might influence rehab etc. Possible excuses to rest players.

Observations

15 night games. The AFL rate us as a big fixture and want us to go well and deep into finals. This should do our memberships wonders as it's going to be a great year to go to the footy as a Carlton supporter! Victorians, especially Melbourneites would be nuts not to sign up to be honest. Not sure playing at night suits as too well as the grand final is played in the day. I enjoy watching us at night though.

Rounds 4-5, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 19-20 are 6 day breaks. Not bad as we have no shorter break periods unless the AFL bugger up the last round's fixture.

Rounds 2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 12-bye-14, 16-17, 18-19 are breaks longer than 7 days. Win.

8 Games at the MCG. 9 games at etihad. We play 17 games in Melbourne. Pretty good though more games at the G and less games at Etihad the better. For the record Collingwood get 14 games at the MCG, Essendon just 7, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn get 13 games at the MCG. Would be nice to play more games at the MCG as we are really missing out on playing at the ground we will have to win make/win the grand final compared to our rivals though Geelong play there just 4 times.

We need to beat every side we finished above last year, cos I honestly believe we are a much better team than all those sides. But we also need to at least pinch a couple of wins against quality sides like the Pies and Cats, and to a much lesser extent the Hawks. I think we are on par with the Hawks, it's just that they have the wood over us and we seem to save our worst football for them. WCE won't improve much imo, the reason for their dramatic rise in '11 was due to the re-emergence of the likes of Cox, Kerr, Embley and Glass, all their senior players. They do have some good youngsters but they don't have them in spades.

Can't wait.

I couldn't be more excited for the WCE game down here. Cannot wait to scream my lungs out and watch us get sweet, plump, juicy revenge:thumbsu:

Good review. The patch mid season against this years top 4 will determine where we finish on the ladder. Can see us dropping only 3-5 games max in 2012. The filth twice on a Friday night will be the biggest games of the year.

Don't think the draw's much easier, it's just that we're improving massively each year making the non-Carlton group look weaker. Predicting Failurewood and Essendon to be the big sliders in 2012. Top 3 will be Carlton, Geelong and Hawthorn and then a biggish gap.

:)

WestCoast will still be thereabouts as well. I agree with the slip of colliwobools outside top 4 & Bummers + Saints out of the 8. Melbourne & Adelaide to come in for mine.

I recon the top 4 will be Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn with WCE's very close as well. Not much different from last year, just a shuffling of order in the top 5 teams. The bottom 3 teams will be different I reocon. Freo could surge a little up the ladder and the Saints will dissapear from the 8 i recon.

I wouldnt count out collingwood. I predict Carlton v Collingwood/Hawthorne in GF with Carlton winning the home and away season due to the draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back