The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

the hawks only drew 5 k
would of thought more would have come out to see the reigning premiers

They were playing Brisbane though. Most predicted an uneven contest and the scores didn't prove them wrong.

I'm thinking a similar figure (5,000) will be at Richmond Oval to see Port play the Crows play today.

They were playing Brisbane though. Most predicted an uneven contest and the scores didn't prove them wrong.

I'm thinking a similar figure (5,000) will be at Richmond Oval to see Port play the Crows play today.

I'm thinking you will be wrong, lol at 5000 (unless the capacity is 5000?).

I'm thinking you will be wrong, lol at 5000 (unless the capacity is 5000?).

They might get a couple more thousand, but it is a Sunday afternoon at 4.30 so families with young kids might not want to head out, particularly with traffic afterwards.

Richmond Oval has seating for only 3,000 and there's no much in the way of grassed areas, so you have to factor that in. If they had it at Unley Oval, it would be packed. I'd probably head down there, but not when it's held out West.

So I'm thinking realistically 5-6,000.

Probably about 9,000 Richmond turned up. Decent enough turnout from The Army considering that we were supposed to be a sure thing. Good for the Dees on the result.....genuinely good to see a club in difficulty find a performance even in a nothing match like that and hopefully thier fans respond..

So I thought the Port v Crows match would get 5-6,000. Turns out they got 8,765, so a good number. Was a great day for footy, very nice weather.

So I thought the Port v Crows match would get 5-6,000. Turns out they got 8,765, so a good number. Was a great day for footy, very nice weather.

Aside from the wind and the godawful facilities. :D

Aside from the wind and the godawful facilities. :D

Yeah, it is pretty crap. If Unley Oval had a compliant Oval rather than the asymmetrical one it currently has, it would have been great to have it there. Nice grassed areas, the scenery's nice. Although, there are plans to put up fencing, create a new Oval, upgrade the stands and create a Sturt headquarters and clubroom, so maybe a NAB Challenge match could be played there when all that's sorted.

But all in all, a pretty big success out West. Aside from the wind and god awful facilities. Haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it is pretty crap. If Unley Oval had a compliant Oval rather than the asymmetrical one it currently has, it would have been great to have it there. Nice grassed areas, the scenery's nice. Although, there are plans to put up fencing, create a new Oval, upgrade the stands and create a Sturt headquarters and clubroom, so maybe a NAB Challenge match could be played there when all that's sorted.

But all in all, a pretty big success out West. Aside from the wind and god awful facilities. Haha.

Christ knows they needed the money from the catering/canteen. (The AFL got all the proceeds from the gate.)

Christ knows they needed the money from the catering/canteen. (The AFL got all the proceeds from the gate.)

You'd think they'd have put on a few more staff, then.

You'd think they'd have put on a few more staff, then.

Haha, they do need the money. And raman, don't suggest such a silly idea. The extra staff would probably flog a few pies and Iced Coffee's. There is precedence of theft (not necessarily pie-related) don't forget!

have to wonder why the chose Richmond Oval in the first place. It cant be a coincidence that Westies need money and BAM AFL match.

Sturt needs the money more. It helps that we have a supporter base with a higher than average income (Sturt has raised $700,000 from supporter donations alone in the last year and a half) but I think Sturt could have used the $50,000 Westies received to redo Unley Oval. Lord knows, it needs a renovation more than Richmond Oval did.

Sturt needs the money more. It helps that we have a supporter base with a higher than average income (Sturt has raised $700,000 from supporter donations alone in the last year and a half) but I think Sturt could have used the $50,000 Westies received to redo Unley Oval. Lord knows, it needs a renovation more than Richmond Oval did.

I agree but Sturt has additional costs - fencing and security wise - and a less hostile council i believe

I agree but Sturt has additional costs - fencing and security wise - and a less hostile council i believe

Just build a bloody fence. It costs them so much to put up temporary fences and security. It's not hard. Unley Council is rather generous to Sturt (very low rent, etc.) but if they were to bank roll part of the development (fences, etc) it would enable Sturt to have more autonomy and get themselves out of the situation they're in. Unley Oval belongs to the City of Unley. They're renovating an asset that belongs to them. And it may cost money (estimated at $3 million for the fences), but I'm sure the state government could pull some money out of their community funding area and go halvsies with the council. Just spitballing here, but it's not an idea completely devoid of logic.

I think they'd be pretty chuffed at 6k for a Metricon weeknight practice match.

If you're maintaining a list, Wookie, nominal capacities might be worth adding for non-traditional grounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back