The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how you can make the argument that the Blues will be on the bandwagon when every indication is that they are far from it (just look at their 2014 attendances)

Not to pour coal on your excitement but the 2009 coincided with the Cousins movement to Richmond, that match had a number of storyline plots that made it an enormous match. It wasn't a stock standard round 1 match it had a huge build up + it was a Richmond home game which tend to draw much larger Carl v Rich crowds.

I also dispute whether both clubs have made this fixture from nothing into the behemoth blockbuster it is today.

Aside from 2009, 2012-13 I don't think the fixture has drawn more than would otherwise be expected for an early season Carlton v Richmond fixture (the same applies to the Hawks v Cats Easter Monday fixture, often we over state the importance of scheduling on crowd attendance)

Starting the season with a big match isn't a recent phenoninum. From 2002-04 the AFL launched the season with Collingwood v Richmond and if not for the shortsightedness of the Richmond administration (who reneged on their deal with Collingwood to split the gate) would have continued long into the future

Anyway just my thoughts...

Also take the 2008 stat out and it still continued to build up year by year to a 80000 plus game

at the Start of the year every club has new hopes and dreams, therefore more supporters come out until they get a feel of how the year is going to go.

Richmond Vs Blues round 1 is always going to draw more than Richmond vs Blues round 5 with 3 looses and 2 wins each, its simple.

The recent 2013 elimination final also helps build the rivalry and the results of recent time have always been down to the wire. Im not sure too many other teams would be capable of pulling these numbers in the same game with the exception of a already built up rivalry like pies, bombers or gelong and Hawks

Not doubting the Tigs and Blues drawing power just challenging the view that the Tigers and Blues have built round 1 up to be anything more than an early season match between two big clubs with rich history (ie Carlton v Essendon)

I'm of the view that the season opening match should be the GF reply, even though the Hawks benefit from Easter Monday I think the AFL should share the public holiday fixtures around to maximise interest amongst neutrals

3 years ago I had a much different view but I think our game has now grown beyond monopolising the marquee slots (the dip in Victorian crowds last year aside)

I agree with your views, and that everything must be shared around, but at the same time, history will show that football thrives on tradition. And how can something grow and prosper if changes continues to happen.

Also Richmond and Carlton have made this game into what it is Today minus last year both coming off a round 1 loss . 2 Clubs with limited recent success have created a blockbuster game and now they should have the right to this game, likewise to Essendon and Collingwood on Anzac day unless attendance drops dramatically.

I believe in 2015 we will be back around the 85000 mark as it is the first game of the year, Tigers will be back on the bandwagon, blues likewise and will draw out a lot of football starved MCC and AFL reserve mutuals.

2013: 80971
2012: 78285
2011: 60654
2010: 72010
2009: 87043
2008: 72552
2007: 59847

Have to disagree mate, you could put any too clubs with a string rivalry in the opener, and the results would be similar

Also too little water has passed under the bridge yet to make this game a lock. Afl has been happy to chop and change it, which underlines this fact

I would be very surprised if Carlton vs Richmond gets over 80,000 even if it's in Round 1. Simple reason, I don't see there being as many Carlton fans as at previous match-ups between the two because of an expected poor year and this will hurt the overall crowd figure when you consider the away team fans are generally less likely to attend matches as well.

I think low 70's is more on the money. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Fun notes on MCC members reserve capacity v actual attendance

mccmembersreserve0114.png

Fun notes on MCC members reserve capacity v actual attendance

mccmembersreserve0114.png

Such a sham!
People in there are I there for one thing and one thing only, to tell people they are and to make them selves feel better about their small utensil!

On another note! Double the amount of active members! Double the people that actually go to games!

It's really not hard to fix attendances in Vic and get them to numbers that are unheard of! People just have to have the guts to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a sham!
People in there are I there for one thing and one thing only, to tell people they are and to make them selves feel better about their small utensil!

On another note! Double the amount of active members! Double the people that actually go to games!

It's really not hard to fix attendances in Vic and get them to numbers that are unheard of! People just have to have the guts to do it!

I believe they've increased the membership intake as a result of this information coming to light

Such a sham!

Not quite. You do realise that most members take guests with them into the reserve don't you :rolleyes:

Why should MCC FULL Member have our rights for entry compromised across destination games just so we can let the riff raff into the reserve?

It would be interesting to see the MCG / AFL release similar levels of attendance across the AFL members + CFC, HFC, RFC, MFC and now Carlton member reserves...

Not quite. You do realise that most members take guests with them into the reserve don't you :rolleyes:

Why should MCC FULL Member have our rights for entry compromised across destination games just so we can let the riff raff into the reserve?

It would be interesting to see the MCG / AFL release similar levels of attendance across the AFL members + CFC, HFC, RFC, MFC and now Carlton member reserves...

Be a big earner for the MCC the guest passes - does footy get any sort of cut?

Not doubting the Tigs and Blues drawing power just challenging the view that the Tigers and Blues have built round 1 up to be anything more than an early season match between two big clubs with rich history (ie Carlton v Essendon)

I'm of the view that the season opening match should be the GF reply, even though the Hawks benefit from Easter Monday I think the AFL should share the public holiday fixtures around to maximise interest amongst neutrals

3 years ago I had a much different view but I think our game has now grown beyond monopolising the marquee slots (the dip in Victorian crowds last year aside)

I think the Richmond Carlton history rivals the Collingwood Carlton history.

Plenty of Grand Finals and finals we've played in.

They are the games you live for where the Hawk games are a bit lite for Richmond fans.

They are the games you live for where the Hawk games are a bit lite for Richmond fans.

Awesome.

Probably a little too many 50k crowds littered through the years to be considered in that esteemed though. I don't think Carlton and Collingwood has ever drawn sub 40,000 (as Richmond v Carlton did in 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006) but each to their own

As for Hawk games I would comfortably assume that its also on the other foot given our games against Geelong and Sydney have comfortably dwarfed equivalent Hawks-Tigers games over the last decade

Maybe to a Richmond fan. Its probably third on our rivals list behind Collingwood and Essendon.

Sadly Richmond havent been relevant in competition terms since the game went national - in crowds terms maybe, but its a bit rich imposing them on a national TV audience as the season opener.

Sadly Richmond havent been relevant in competition terms since the game went national - in crowds terms maybe, but its a bit rich imposing them on a national TV audience as the season opener.

Its drawn well and it rates well as the season opener. Richmond are as relevant to the rest of the country as any one else.

Are all these reserves off limits even when these clubs are not playing?
Excluding reserves what is the MCG capacity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back