The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the CWC final?

Nothing wrong with the MCC ticketing policy as the stadium was still at 98.5% capacity - the match of any ticketed sell out in the world

Can't agree. There is so much demand for tickets from not just the public but long term paid up members of each club that it is inherently wrong to have empty seats on the day.

Use the same system that they had for the Real Madrid v Man City game. Everyone has to reserve seats at $45 or so. Any left get offered to the public. The system works for the AFL members (tickets cost $180), so the MCC can suck it up.

I'd actually go further and say if the MCC can't fill up their allocation for anything other than the GF they should lose some bays.

Can't agree. There is so much demand for tickets from not just the public but long term paid up members of each club that it is inherently wrong to have empty seats on the day.

Use the same system that they had for the Real Madrid v Man City game. Everyone has to reserve seats at $45 or so. Any left get offered to the public. The system works for the AFL members (tickets cost $180), so the MCC can suck it up.

I'd actually go further and say if the MCC can't fill up their allocation for anything other than the GF they should lose some bays.

Of course that would require the MCG Trustees (appointed by the government) to step in and act in the interests of all the people of Victoria over the management of a public asset rather than just pandering to the interests of an upper middle class and politically powerful private club.

At this point in time i'd like to thank the AFL for signing a ridiculously long term agreement with the MCC that probably allows the MCC to stick their finger up at anything the AFL says.

its always a pleasure to meet trolls.

Inaugural series featuring some of the biggest teams in the world in any sport, sure they outdrew the AFL Grand Final, but then this was the 103rd AFL game in Melbourne this year, and the second one in a month to pull 90,000+.
Was not trying to troll at all? Its a fair point it was a one off of big clubs. Not everyone that has something to say that you dont like is trolling. Relax

Its not really that meaningful to say the soccer game outdrew the AFL grand final, once you reach the 98-99k mark it really just comes down to ticketing issues and a few no-shows. Demand for both games well and truly exceeded availability.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Don't discount the number of Swans fans there are in Canberra. They built up a fair base in the years they played home games at Manaka, and probably assisted in upping today's crowd figure.

Hi,
Could anyone who reads this do me a favour and let me know their thoughts on the current arrangements for travel to away matches? I'm currently working on a method for supporters to save money on accommodation. If you were able to save on accommodation by staying at someone else's home, would this make you more inclined to support your team at an away game?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Could anyone who reads this do me a favour and let me know their thoughts on the current arrangements for travel to away matches? I'm currently working on a method for supporters to save money on accommodation. If you were able to save on accommodation by staying at someone else's home, would this make you more inclined to support your team at an away game?

Thanks in advance!

ive been looking at something similar for a while. Calling it footybnb lol.

Story on crowds by regular AFL scribe & it references footy crowds too, ie AFL footy:
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/the-art-of-crowd-sourcing-20151204-glfo1p.html

But without crowds, or when they diminish, sport lacks atmosphere and gravitas, no matter how replete the ratings. Moreover, match-goers might be the smallest section of the audience now, but they are by definition the most devoted. Latterly in Australia, they have begun to assert their moral power, and authorities have begun to acknowledge it. Last season, the AFL, reacting to discontented rumblings, declared an unofficial year of the fan, holding ticket prices. Stadiums, also sensing unrest, slashed the costs of food and drink. It just about worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course that would require the MCG Trustees (appointed by the government) to step in and act in the interests of all the people of Victoria over the management of a public asset rather than just pandering to the interests of an upper middle class and politically powerful private club.

Thats about the size of it Has always been so and I dont see it changing anytime soon

The MCC who have always played politics very well to get their way with the trustees always easily forget that without the 10s of millions of dollars in income each year the AFL pumps into their coffers and they also conveniently forget that Australian football has been propping them up for over 100 years

Another big worry for the MCC is the sudden decline in Test cricket attendances which has also happened all around the other cricketing nations and there is no reason to think this wont continue happen in Melbourne.You know when a sport is in trouble when they have to invent a new game people actually want to watch like the hit and giggle T20

Interestingly as a "Cricket ground" cricket has never had the highest crowds even in its heyday!

Last edited:
That means most years they'd need to average around 80k a home game and in their peak years would need to get about 95k.
Transport limitations – bad public transport and the political impossibility of full stop ending road building to fund world’s best quality transit – put paid to the possibility of 95,000 capacity stadiums in Adelaide and Perth. Although, I do think that such a stadium would certainly fill up with Crows or Eagles fans if the transport to supply them did exist, and that if the road lobby were not all-powerful politicians would be willing to fund them.

It might be noted that the record WA(N)FL home-and-away crowd in years before the Eagles was only around 26,000, and the peak average no more than 40,000 per round in 1969 – when the family car possessed less power to encourage alternative entertainment from fixed-location sport.

It might be noted that the record WA(N)FL home-and-away crowd in years before the Eagles was only around 26,000, and the peak average no more than 40,000 [WOW!] per round in 1969 – when the family car [There were plenty of cars per capita in 1969; & today, how man & how often drive to a non-sport entertainment option?]possessed less power to encourage alternative entertainment from fixed-location sport.
Can you advise me where it is possible to obtain detailed WA(N)FL H&A weekly crowd nos. back to c.1900; & seasonal H & A weekly crowd averages to c.1900?

Where did you get the figure of an average of 40,000 per H & A round for the WAFL in 1969?

Does anyone have similar H & A information about the SA(N)FL back to c1900?

I am aware that Australian Football.com has some limited historical H & A crowd information.

Given Perth's 1969 population was about 1/3 of its current 2,100,000, it highlights how much AF attendances & culture have fallen in heartland areas.
We cannot expect to hear too much about this decline from our AFL glorious leaders, nor from AFL Club leaders. The former are far too busy with other matters eg counting the $8,000,000+ pa the 11 person Executive pay themselves each year; the latter, ditto, paying the Football DEPARTMENT only (ie not players) coaches/assistant coaches, assistant assistant coaches, other hangers-on etc. to the teat about $200,000,000+ pa.
But we are so lucky the AFL's managerial expertise & wisdom have lead to such an exciting brand of football in the AFL, where the most exciting aspects of AF (ie long kicking, high marking, generally free-flowing one-on-one football, high scoring) are clearly on show each week...& we even get now blaring rock music/ PA announcements at games, which makes them even mooore EXCITING!
(Pity that AF in Tasmania, an heartland state, that has produced a disproportionate amount of champions/great players for the VFL/AF up until the 90's, is now stuffed).

Last edited:
ive been looking at something similar for a while. Calling it footybnb lol.
Wookie/anyone.

FootyBNB seems like a very good idea, to reduce accomodation expenses for fans wishing to travel to interstate games.
Booking well in advance makes the cost of airtravel very reasonable now for many people (but not for working class/low income people who, IMO, have always been the majority of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL/TSL attendee base. The old suburban grandstands were often not full -probably due to the grandstand higher admission costs).

Sharing a house with locals would also add, for many, to the "visiting experience/local immersion".

I would envisage a shared arrangement (ie a spare bedroom: many people would be much more "comfortable" if they were still living in their home when the interstate fans were visiting, to be able to observe no damage etc. being done. Good ID & proof of no criminal record prerequisites for the visitors).
Staying at a share house with Collingwood fan owners/renters would require these Collingwood fan owners/renters to first produce good ID, & evidence of no criminal record, to the interstate visitors.

Also, have options of 1-4 night stay. Many interstate fans would like the option of being able to explore the visiting city & its environs.

Also, offer full reciprocal arrangements, if possible (ie a spare bedroom/s available with the visitors, which could also be offered to their hosts).

There should also be options for those who don't want to reside in their own home when the interstate fans arrive (I would not be in this group -but I would be willing to share with interstate fans, if they could produce impeccable references).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back