Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think this thread is so funny.
We are all expecting to improve and hopefully make finals because we now have the players.
What about the rest of the teams, bet you they are all thinking the same and some will even improve. Maybe more than us.
I wonder if those teams that are expecting to improve will be out for the coaches blood if they don't?
A bit too early to start the the preemptive excuses don't you think?

You're on the record saying Bucks has to go if fail to make the finals next year so stick to it if you want people to take you seriously :)

You're on the record saying Bucks has to go if fail to make the finals next year so stick to it if you want people to take you seriously :)
Buckley won't be going anywhere. Take that to the bank. He's loved at the club by everyone (board, staff etc.) and he will get the results.

So sad how Bucks becomes the whipping boy during slow news days.

As for cattle, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have the cattle just now to push top 4. I think the team needs to show improvements for bucks to stay at the helm. Finals, yep, we should definitely be pushing finals but that 8-6 range. I think premierships are still 3 years away with a couple more pieces to fall into place. Like 76 says, we have a few clubs we need to improve against that are also in similar phases of challenging. WBD will improve again with Libba back and another year on kids like Stringer, Bonts and McRae, Geelong recruited well so there are tough times.
Yeah ..I love how "the other sides will improve too you know" line gets trotted out now in case we don't live up to expectations but fell on deaf ears when people like me used this exact reasoning to suggest us striving to have the best young list is nothing but a pipe dream.

Some of the exchanges in THIS thread from last year are rather hilarious.

Buckley won't be going anywhere. Take that to the bank. He's loved at the club by everyone (board, staff etc.) and he will get the results.
Stick to making up s**t, this laughable populist crap does nothing for me.

its very interesting pie beast as the self appointed monitor of this and other threads, but really it does not matter
what you or I think about bucks, the club will do what it thinks is best going forward and if that means re signing
bucks by the start of the season that's what they will do

Please show me I have said anything like that in my post.
Don't jump the gun as you might hurt yourself.
Big Fail:thumbsdown:

Cannot see how he should get an extension before round 1. Seems like absolute nonsense. If we go backwards again then something will be wrong and should look at getting a new coach. If we make the 8 then for sure he should coach on

he will be signed up early or if left till late in the year probably wont.
the club will go early in the season to avoid the rubbish in the media over it

I DON’T know too much about Nathan Buckley, which might surprise because I saw him every Monday night for 26 weeks.

The truth is Buckley generally arrives after AFL360 has started and leaves after his usual riveting segment with Paul Roos.

What I do know is he’s one of the more captivating, combative, considered and assured people in football. That, and he’s got a good soul. He’s got the right values, family values, and if you listen intently to what he has to say, there’s a goodness which underpins his verbal expression.

Yes, he can answer a question in 55 words when it can be answered in 15, but the wait is mostly always worth it.

That he’s a coach makes him all more interesting.

That he’s coach of Collingwood makes him doubly so.

v1

Similar to everyone, I have observed from afar as Buckley began his coaching career and have wondered, probably similar to everyone, if he would make it a successful senior coach, would the messiah effect would work.

Three clubs attempted it, Michael Voss at Brisbane, James Hird at Essendon and Buckley at Collingwood. The first two didn’t survive.

Buckley probably hates it when we go back to the end of 2011 when he replaced Mick Malthouse, but unfortunately that period will always be part of the Buckley coaching narrative.

They were challenging days.

Buckley replaced Mick, Mick said the players wanted to sign a petition to keep him, Mick left in a huff and soon enough Buckley took control of a club seemingly pulling in different directions.

It led to tough decisions being made on players, namely the shipping off of Heath Shaw. The others - Krakouer, Jolly, Didak, Ball, Davis, Thomas, Lumumba et al - were shot, or disillusioned and those decisions were largely expected.

Buckley took some hits, though. Jolly called him a coward. Shaw said he and Buckley weren’t friends. Thomas scurried off to be with Mick at Carlton. Beams fled. Lumumba told him to get effed and it’s known Didak thought he had another year in him.

The questions were asked: Did Buckley have the players? Was his personality conducive to being a coach?

Buckley, however, had a vision.

He wanted to change the culture of Collingwood. Make of it what you will, but in 2013, it was revealed a group of Collingwood players had self-reported for illicit drug use. That was under Buckley’s watch.
origin:video_integrator.1wNWZieDqz5_hrWZpMlJqhDp_iZgbUrG
In that year, he also introduced Leading Teams to empower the players.

Drugs and Leading Teams aren’t bedfellows. In a sense, it was the new world colliding with the old and while some players were under scrutiny, so was Buckley, initially because of the rumours about some players being at odds with the coach.

Those rumours died, however, as Buckley set about massive change to personnel.

In doing so, the scrutiny left the coach-player relationships and landed on the coach-team performance.

In 2013, the Pies were beaten in the elimination final by Port Adelaide which was a line in the sand for Buckley. “The club has got to ask itself questions. We’ve got to ask if we’re making the right decisions in regards to culture and environment, personnel, game plan, coaching staff etc,” he said.

In 2014, the Pies turned 8-3, came home 3-8 and finished 11th.

This year, they turned 8-3 again, came home 3-8 and finished 12th.

Next year will be massive whatever direction the team takes.

The results will be the results, but that’s not the point as we end a tumultuous trading period.

While there were threads of revolt as Buckley dismantled the Malthouse-era team, there is absolutely a thread of positivity as Buckley continues to build his team.

The three players traded into Collingwood in recent days have cited Buckley as one of the main reasons why they wanted to play for the Magpies.

We’ll call it the Buckley Factor.

It was able to convince Adam Treloar to chose Collingwood over Richmond. “The relationship I have with Nathan Buckley ... he coached me back in Under-16s, he was just great, his professionalism ... I can’t wait to work with him again and get started.”

When it was revealed the Treloar deal was done. Buckley sent a tweet to Treloar. “Patience is a virtue @AdamTreloar. Welcome to the club. #kudos’’. Treloar tweeted back a host of black and white circles and a thumbs up. All he left out were the love hearts.

Jeremy Howe sounded in love. He turned down North Melbourne and Gold Coast - and the Suns’ offer was for significantly more money - and opted for Collingwood.

He grew up barracking for Collingwood and he idolised Buckley and even carried a Buckley signature in his wallet, which he was given to him when was 13-years-old. “Playing under him will be pretty exciting,’’ he said.

James Aish wouldn’t take no for an answer. He wanted to play for Collingwood and no one else.

“There were a few main reasons,’’ he said. “Catching up with Bucks, he was awesome. I have a lot of respect for him ... the way he talked to me about my footy, where he sees me and where my development will come, gave me a lot of respect and excitement about what I can do in the next couple of years.’’

They are feelgood stories.

Nathan Freeman wanting out is a concern, but overall the Buckley Factor is as strong as its been at Collingwood.

Whether that leads to a contract extension being announced before next season even starts is not known.

The gut feel says yes because the Magpies powerbrokers are pretty bullish about Bucks and their list.

There are so many grammatical errors in that article. That's before one even begins to analyse his limited vocabulary and poor structure.

How did this guy end up a print journalist? Murdoch papers are destroying the English language.

It's amazing to think of all the time and energy that will be expended by posters pontificating in this thread over the next 6 months when the reality is that it can be summed up in three words for 2016 "finals or bust".

We've compiled 7 first round picks from the 2011-2014 drafts, we have cherry picked the likes of Treloar, Howe, Varcoe and White (ugh) and had a charmed run with injuries through the latter half of 2015 so the list has now built some chemistry. It really is as simple as making finals or the 2016 chapter of this thread will be the final one.

Whether you're on-board with Buckley or otherwise there just can't be any further fence sitting. Finals in 2016 get it done!!

FWIW thank * we haven't re-signed him yet wait until he's justified it because he won't be poached :thumbsu:

Don't jump the gun as you might hurt yourself.
Big Fail:thumbsdown:

This is not to excuse Buckley as some of the match committee selections have been confusing and after reading numerous post of posters who I respect, agree that the game plan may require a bit more than tinkering...

What I see is potential and perhaps with a successful trading period to fill our needs, next year we should play finals.

For Buckley to survive, a finals berth in 2016 is a must.

No need to apologise, I had a lot of fun reading some of your pearlers ITT :):):)

It's amazing to think of all the time and energy that will be expended by posters pontificating in this thread over the next 6 months when the reality is that it can be summed up in three words for 2016 "finals or bust".

We've compiled 7 first round picks from the 2011-2014 drafts, we have cherry picked the likes of Treloar, Howe, Varcoe and White (ugh) and had a charmed run with injuries through the latter half of 2015 so the list has now built some chemistry. It really is as simple as making finals or the 2016 chapter of this thread will be the final one.

Whether you're on-board with Buckley or otherwise there just can't be any further fence sitting. Finals in 2016 get it done!!

FWIW thank **** we haven't re-signed him yet wait until he's justified it because he won't be poached :thumbsu:
IF and a big IF key players perform at least avg. Another putrid year from Cloke will cost us finals. But that should be the end for him, not Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to apologise, I had a lot of fun reading some of your pearlers ITT :):):)
I think you need to take your medication and bed rest, I know what I have posted in the past but you referenced my last post in you reply which had nothing to do with what you have just quoted.
As I said I love this thread if only to laugh at you.
No need to apologise, wouldn't accept it.

I think you need to take your medication and bed rest, I know what I have posted in the past but you referenced my last post in you reply which had nothing to do with what you have just quoted.
As I said I love this thread if only to laugh at you.
No need to apologise, wouldn't accept it.
Just once more for those playing at home and only the relevant bits.
You're on the record saying Bucks has to go if fail to make the finals next year
For Buckley to survive, a finals berth in 2016 is a must.

Enjoy being the laughing stock :)

Think this thread is so funny.
We are all expecting to improve and hopefully make finals because we now have the players.
What about the rest of the teams, bet you they are all thinking the same and some will even improve. Maybe more than us.
I wonder if those teams that are expecting to improve will be out for the coaches blood if they don't?

Just once more for those playing at home and only the relevant bits.

Enjoy being the laughing stock :)
Are you really that thick???
You can go back as much as you like.
1. My post
2. Your response
3. I then asked where in the post I said anything for you to reply in the manner you did.
4. You then go back through my posting history and come up with excerpts to cover up that you are a fool.
No wonder people put you on ignore.

Is it a coincidence that people are having interpersonal problems in a thread about Buckley?
Is it a coincidence that people adoring Malthouse have interpersonal problems?

IF and a big IF key players perform at least avg. Another putrid year from Cloke will cost us finals. But that should be the end for him, not Buckley.

Cloke was fine in 2015 considering he was clearly playing under duress in the second half of the season. We need a more even spread of goalkickers so I'd prefer he was having 40 goal seasons anyway which he achieves comfortably if fully fit.

Cloke was fine in 2015 considering he was clearly playing under duress in the second half of the season. We need a more even spread of goalkickers so I'd prefer he was having 40 goal seasons anyway which he achieves comfortably if fully fit.
40+ for our main fwd on 750K p/a ? That is a very expensive decoy. But we shouldn't be so dependent on him, you're right.

40+ for our main fwd on 750K p/a ? That is a very expensive decoy. But we shouldn't be so dependent on him, you're right.

We paid market value when we re-signed him and to this point he's been worth every cent, IMO, because we'd be screwed without him.

Playing him further afield would be a good start, IMO, considering he still went at just shy of 7 marks per game in an underwhelming/ injury impacted season.

If Cloke's on 750k that's a bargain imo.

Not really given the output of the last couple of years. Forget the money for one sec, but for his size, experience and ability, Cloke should never really be kicking less than 50-60 goals a year. At a minimum. The fact that he's on 700-800K a year just makes it look even worse.

As to this thread, wow, I'm surprised it's still so vitriolic at this time of year.

I fear for this thread if Buckley is re-signed before next season starts, or before we're officially unable to miss finals. Really, we shouldn't be signing him before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back