The 2015 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all apples and oranges stuff anyway. One's in prime time, the other in the Saturday afternoon slot that most sports actively try and avoid. To consistently get over 3.5 million is a terrific result for the AFL, one that no other code would ever achieve on a Saturday afternoon.

Is this a Sydney paper?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...nd-final-ratings/story-fni0xqi3-1227557697396

Overall, not a concern

AFL rated 4,415,000 on a Saturday afternoon in 2012. That is 600,000 more viewers than any GF the NRL has achieved

Everyone knows if the AFL switch to Sunday late they can add 1 million plus viewers minimum in any given year

Saturday afternoon vs prime time Sunday evening lol

let them gloat...

It's all apples and oranges stuff anyway. One's in prime time, the other in the Saturday afternoon slot that most sports actively try and avoid. To consistently get over 3.5 million is a terrific result for the AFL, one that no other code would ever achieve on a Saturday afternoon.

Thats the guts of it but the Sydney centric media will always favour what they consider their own code and bag the AFL intruder when ever they can.

I would like to see the NRL play their GF on Sat afternoon and see how many they get viewing.
I would suggest maybe a million less esp if it was hot and people headed to the beach

I dont think the AFL will allow this situation to go on for much longer
I expect the GF will go to twilight when the next TV rights kick in and eventually go all the way to a night GF in a few years

Thats the guts of it but the Sydney centric media will always favour what they consider their own code and bag the AFL intruder when ever they can.

I would like to see the NRL play their GF on Sat afternoon and see how many they get viewing.
I would suggest maybe a million less esp if it was hot and people headed to the beach

I dont think the AFL will allow this situation to go on for much longer
I expect the GF will go to twilight when the next TV rights kick in and eventually go all the way to a night GF in a few years
On a Sunday? A lot of casual viewers - people who might watch, but might not - would be likely to just go out on a Saturday night. Sunday night people tend to be more likely vegetating in front of the box (as with Wednesday).
leave it on a Saturday arvo: kids can watch, barbecues, then if you're up for it on to a big Saturday night a restaurants etc would hate for the grandfinal to go to the evening.
Sunday night is nothing more than a shameless grab for ratings. Our game is fine, it's popular, it's bigger than any other code.
Let other codes kill their own game for short terms gains

Page 15 of this PowerPoint presentation shows that four times as many people watch TV around 8pm compared to our GF's opening bounce time of 2.30pm (12.30pm in Perth our second largest market).

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/TV_TRENDS.pdf

Yes, these figures include weekdays, but it's not hard to conclude that our GF would rate substantially higher if it was moved to night time. It's not 1981 anymore, the shops don't close at 12pm on Saturdays and there are lot more people working on Saturday afternoons than there used to be.

I'm waiting for the campaign by all the traditionalists to move the Saturday semi-final and preliminary final to the 2.30pm timeslot given it's such a wonderful time to stage a big match...

On a Sunday? A lot of casual viewers - people who might watch, but might not - would be likely to just go out on a Saturday night. Sunday night people tend to be more likely vegetating in front of the box (as with Wednesday).
leave it on a Saturday arvo: kids can watch, barbecues, then if you're up for it on to a big Saturday night a restaurants etc would hate for the grandfinal to go to the evening.
Sunday night is nothing more than a shameless grab for ratings. Our game is fine, it's popular, it's bigger than any other code.
Let other codes kill their own game for short terms gains

And it should have the biggest TV ratings by a long way
Dont forget the AFL is in a battle for the hearts and minds of all Australians in every State and live into their lounge rooms is a great way to promote our great game..
In any case CH 7 will demand a better time slot for the big bucks they have to fork out in the new deal.Hopefully Good Friday will be brought on soon as well.

If the AFL ever wants to have the highest rated sports event in australia again, they will need to move the grand final to a sunday night. End of discussion. Cannot believe people are still so backwards in thinking that a saturday afternoon grand final is the best possible option. Saturday arvo is a dead timeslot and the game is far less visually appealing during the day then it is during the night.

Lol the casual viewers have lots of other things to watch on a sunday night. I doubt 7 is happy to hand 9 the highest ratings program of the year without trying to take some away. Their sunday night program almost got a mil people and the program on abc got over 600.

Afl gf is just lucky there was nothing else big on to watch. The casual viewers would have switched over otherwise.

If people want to watch something they will, if they have no interest in it then they wont. I did hear bunnings was exceptionally full last saturday for some reason.

Lets ignore the fact that ratings for games shown on saturday afternoon are demonstrably lower than games shown at night or that Seven consistently has requested a move to a night grand final - publicly did so at the last AFL media rights announcement. Theres no reason Seven would do that now is there? Theres a reason its called prime time. its worth noting that Nine chose Saturday night and ignored Saturday afternoon in its NRL deal.

You are welcome to post here - the NRL won the overall ratings, and well done for that, and some gloating is in order - but keep trolling and that welcome will rapidly disappear.

Lets ignore the fact that ratings for games shown on saturday afternoon are demonstrably lower than games shown at night or that Seven consistently has requested a move to a night grand final - publicly did so at the last AFL media rights announcement. Theres no reason Seven would do that now is there? Theres a reason its called prime time. its worth noting that Nine chose Saturday night and ignored Saturday afternoon in its NRL deal.

You are welcome to post here - the NRL won the overall ratings, and well done for that, and some gloating is in order - but keep trolling and that welcome will rapidly disappear.
Wookie: are these figures available: total viewer numbers from 7am Saturday until 11.59pm Sunday for both nine and seven?

Can you explain who is trolling and who is posting facts and opinions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Page 15 of this PowerPoint presentation shows that four times as many people watch TV around 8pm compared to our GF's opening bounce time of 2.30pm (12.30pm in Perth our second largest market).

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/TV_TRENDS.pdf

Yes, these figures include weekdays, but it's not hard to conclude that our GF would rate substantially higher if it was moved to night time. It's not 1981 anymore, the shops don't close at 12pm on Saturdays and there are lot more people working on Saturday afternoons than there used to be.

I'm waiting for the campaign by all the traditionalists to move the Saturday semi-final and preliminary final to the 2.30pm timeslot given it's such a wonderful time to stage a big match...

So basically at around 1-2pm only an average of 2 Million viewers sit down and watch tv while at 7-8pm it blows out to 8 Million!!

Wow, would not even think it would be so vast...

No that is WHY they call it PRIME time!

Interestingly, 5 city metro figures on TV Tonight were
AFL: 2.635 mill
NRL: 2.315 mill

Given how large the Sydney and Brisbane TV markets are, with a game shown in the rolled gold prime rating time of Sunday night, for an incredibly close game, which stretched for less than two hours, that doesn't actually strike me as that great a figure (given what a dud of a game the AFL GF was, in the dead rating period of Saturday afternoon).

But anyway, each to their own.

Also bear in mind guys that the AFL grand final almost certainly had more viewers.
Winning an average audience battle between 2 programs that have significantly different durations isn't the be all and end all.

It's like saying the guy that can do 100m in 10 seconds is better than the guy that can do 400m in 43 seconds. Well, sure, his average speed was greater but bugger me, the bloke that ran the 400m just broke the world record.....

Interestingly, 5 city metro figures on TV Tonight were
AFL: 2.635 mill
NRL: 2.315 mill

Given how large the Sydney and Brisbane TV markets are, with a game shown in the rolled gold prime rating time of Sunday night, for an incredibly close game, which stretched for less than two hours, that doesn't actually strike me as that great a figure (given what a dud of a game the AFL GF was, in the dead rating period of Saturday afternoon).

But anyway, each to their own.
I agree. But it also makes you wonder what's possible if the AFL grand final were player on a Sunday night. Would the metro figures be closer to 4 mil than 3? What would the total viewers be, regional included?

While the current GF schedule for both codes remains, the NRL will beat AFL every single time - and look far more aesthetically pleasing in the process.

Last edited:
I agree. But it also makes you wonder what's possible if the AFL grand final were player on a Sunday night. Would the metro figures be closer to 4 mil than 3? What would the total viewers be, regional included?

While the current GF schedule for both codes remains, the NRL will beat AFL every single time - and look far more aesthetically pleasing in the epodes.

Not really

Will depend on which teams make it for both codes

AFL has won the most GF ratings

If you include the areas that are not included in the ratings (predominantly AFL regions) and discount the areas that are double counted (predominantly NRL regions) than I not even sure if the NRL had more viewers anyway.

Lol the casual viewers have lots of other things to watch on a sunday night. I doubt 7 is happy to hand 9 the highest ratings program of the year without trying to take some away. Their sunday night program almost got a mil people and the program on abc got over 600.

Afl gf is just lucky there was nothing else big on to watch. The casual viewers would have switched over otherwise.

If people want to watch something they will, if they have no interest in it then they wont. I did hear bunnings was exceptionally full last saturday for some reason.
Why was Ch9 so keen to show the NRL GF in prime-time? To think that when the sport is played has no bearing on viewers is just deliberate spin or ignorance

Also bear in mind guys that the AFL grand final almost certainly had more viewers.
Winning an average audience battle between 2 programs that have significantly different durations isn't the be all and end all.

It's like saying the guy that can do 100m in 10 seconds is better than the guy that can do 400m in 43 seconds. Well, sure, his average speed was greater but bugger me, the bloke that ran the 400m just broke the world record.....

What were the peak ratings?

Why was Ch9 so keen to show the NRL GF in prime-time? To think that when the sport is played has no bearing on viewers is just deliberate spin or ignorance

Having a one of the biggest events of the year might be a good thing to put in prime time to win the ratings on the night yeh? Surely they want to put their highest rating shows there... But going by the logic in here, they could put on iron chef and still get 1 mil because its prime time.

Having a one of the biggest events of the year might be a good thing to put in prime time to win the ratings on the night yeh? Surely they want to put their highest rating shows there... But going by the logic in here, they could put on iron chef and still get 1 mil because its prime time.

Which is why seven want the AFL grand final moved to the night. and thats the point. prevailing theory here is that if the AFL Grand Final was shown at night, the NRL Grand Final would never top it, regionals, nz and all.

A-League ratings have dived off a cliff this season, according to Wookie's site this same game rated 188k on foxsports last year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back