Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some tv ratings so far this round...
Fri TV #AFL #AFLPiesNorth Seven 516k (Mel 398k Ade 118k) 7mate 137k (Syd 27k Bri 22k Per 89k)

Sat TV #AFL arvo Seven 316k (Mel 142k Ade 47k Per 127k) 7mate 58k (Syd 33k Bri 25k) Other game shown in Perth Seven 98k
Sat TV #AFL Night Seven 501k (Mel 334k Ade 168k) 7mate 53k (Syd 26k Bri 27k)

Fri STV #AFLPiesNorth 249k
Sat STV #AFLEaglesDees 232k
#AFLCatsCrows 219k
#AFLSwansBlues 154k
#AFLDogsSaints 132k
#AFLSunsFreo 57k

Decent figures in amongst some pretty weak ones...most notably the 57k on fox for GC v Freo, although Perth and Brisbane/GC had it live on FTA.

Great Melbourne figure for the Pies v Nth game and for Geel v Adel. Decent fox figures all bar GC v Freo and Dogs v Saints, only 132k for the latter with no FTA coverage....for a tight game with one top four hopeful, the disappointing crowd matched the fox figure.

I also think that clubs, players, coaches etc have far more spotlight on them than in previous eras, the media is always looking for a positive and increasingly negative spin or angles on everything, i would be interested to know the increase in journalists looking for a story compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

People are therefore more informed about correct info and indeed info that is incorrectly put out by the media, which all has effect on crowds and peoples perceptions of how the club players and coach is going.

In relative terms, I think the Essendon and Brisbane crowd is probably the best crowd in Melbourne for the year considering it's a game between about the two worst teams we've seen.
Agree. 35K is a huge crowd. The EFC members turned up today. Obviously proves yet again that if the team is a genuine chance to win a game they will come. It was an important crowd for Essendon.. It shows that the fans will be back after this year and that the crisis hasn't turned them away for good. Whilst not the result they wanted, the futures bright with Francis strong debut proof the list is coming together nicely. And, pick 1!!. Silver linings on several fronts for the Bombers.

In relative terms, I think the Essendon and Brisbane crowd is probably the best crowd in Melbourne for the year considering it's a game between about the two worst teams we've seen.

Read your post before I saw the crowd figure and thought you were just talking s**t. Then saw the figure and I have to agree. That was a terrific crowd. It's actually hard to comprehend. Kudos to Bombers and Fitzroy / Brisbane fans.

Agree. 35K is a huge crowd. The EFC members turned up today. Obviously proves yet again that if the team is a genuine chance to win a game they will come. It was an important crowd for Essendon.. It shows that the fans will be back after this year and that the crisis hasn't turned them away for good. Whilst not the result they wanted, the futures bright with Francis strong debut proof the list is coming together nicely. And, pick 1!!. Silver linings on several fronts for the Bombers.
this is an underrated factor.

good timeslot as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess, but it's still disappointing. I think people have become a lot more picky and choosy when it comes to what games they go to than say 20-30 years ago. Heck, even the last 10 years.

30 years ago the average crowd was 22k, and that's with pretty much every game played in Melbourne with both sets of fans being able to attend. So let's not overstate the problem here.

30 years ago the average crowd was 22k, and that's with pretty much every game played in Melbourne with both sets of fans being able to attend. So let's not overstate the problem here.

Under that setup and stats it meant you had 132k Vic fans turning up to the footy week in, week out. Fair few weekends wouldn't get that many Vic fans going to a match in a 2016 round.

Despite some good crowds today, I'm pretty sure this round marks when overall crowd average for the year has dipped below 2015, and it is almost certain that it will dip lower.

And this is despite general consensus being that rule changes have freed up the game and made it more appealing to watch.

Maybe fans for various reasons are drifting out of the habit of going to the footy and either just happy to watch it on TV or follow it from a distance.

In the short-term I think the major issue is that it's the same old sides dominating the top of the ladder that have been in numerous GFs the past decade and will likely fill up the spots this year. AFL feels more like the Premier League than the Premier League does!

Under that setup and stats it meant you had 132k Vic fans turning up to the footy week in, week out. Fair few weekends wouldn't get that many Vic fans going to a match in a 2016 round.

True, but in a lot of cases those people aren't going because their team is playing interstate. It's pretty unreasonable to expect, say a Melbourne fan to rock up to watch another game this weekend just because their team isn't playing at home. Likewise, today's figures include a lot of games against interstate opposition.

I certainly agree that footy fans are a lot softer - you only have to look towards anyone that complains about Docklands to see that. You can only imagine what those people would be like if they had to stand on the terraces in sleeting rain. But I don't think it's panic stations that people aren't showing up to the footy. Not yet anyway.

Despite some good crowds today, I'm pretty sure this round marks when overall crowd average for the year has dipped below 2015, and it is almost certain that it will dip lower.

And this is despite general consensus being that rule changes have freed up the game and made it more appealing to watch.

Maybe fans for various reasons are drifting out of the habit of going to the footy and either just happy to watch it on TV or follow it from a distance.

In the short-term I think the major issue is that it's the same old sides dominating the top of the ladder that have been in numerous GFs the past decade and will likely fill up the spots this year. AFL feels more like the Premier League than the Premier League does!

The idea of it being a drift to watching TV doesn't work so well when you accept that the TV figures are down as well (Fox is up, but FTA is down by more).

rained all morning, was windy and cold as hell. Turnout was never going to be great. Especially against GWS who have no travelling support.
It’s a winter sport, conditions like that are to be expected on some occasions. In anycase, the ‘bad weather’ excuse harder to take when a fair chunk of supporters seem to take pride of not going to Docklands, the ground that totally negates the weather factor.

Even if you accept bad weather as a factor and the other factors like the Sun evening timeslot and GWS not a club to bring support, to get the lowest ever crowd at Adelaide Oval for a match where Port’s season was on the line is disappointing.

30 years ago we didn't have game live on TV. Lucky to be able to see 1 quarter (often with the scoreless sections edited out) of 3 of the 6 games. Good luck seeing your team if you followed an 80s cellar dweller like Doggies or Demons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back