Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fair crowd. Thats all.

lets not underplay it too much. AFL Tables would place it as the third highest AFL crowd at the stadium, and Austadiums would place it in all time sixth.

Previously -

AFLTables

17,844 North Melbourne v Richmond Bellerive Oval 2016
17,544 North Melbourne v Richmond Bellerive Oval 2015
16,495 North Melbourne v Sydney Bellerive Oval 2016
14,346 North Melbourne v St Kilda Bellerive Oval 2015
14,113 North Melbourne v West Coast Bellerive Oval 2012
13,223 North Melbourne v Sydney Bellerive Oval 2013
12,607 North Melbourne v Melbourne Bellerive Oval 2016
12,011 North Melbourne v West Coast Bellerive Oval 2015
11,127 North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney Bellerive Oval 2012
10,702 North Melbourne v Adelaide Bellerive Oval 2014
10,641 North Melbourne v St Kilda Bellerive Oval 2014
10,265 North Melbourne v Port Adelaide Bellerive Oval 2013

Austadiums

18,149 10/01/16 Cricket BBL: Hurricanes v Scorchers
17,844 03/06/16 Australian Football AFL: North Melbourne v Richmond
17,544 09/05/15 Australian Football AFL: North Melbourne v Richmond
17,151 01/01/16 Cricket BBL: Hurricanes v Thunder
16,719 14/01/03 Cricket ODI: Australia v England
16,495 20/08/16 Australian Football AFL: North Melbourne v Sydney
16,412 04/01/16 Cricket BBL: Hurricanes v Renegades
15,690 14/01/07 Cricket ODI: Australia v New Zealand
15,525 21/01/11 Cricket ODI: Australia v England
15,503 16/01/05 Cricket ODI: Australia v Pakistan
15,495 21/02/10 Cricket Twenty20: AUS v WI
14,848 22/12/15 Cricket BBL: Hurricanes v Heat
14,744 02/01/15 Cricket BBL: Hurricanes v Heat
14,346 15/08/15 Australian Football AFL: North Melbourne v St Kilda
14,185 22/01/12 Cricket BBL Semi Final: Hurricanes v Sixers
14,113 07/07/12 Australian Football AFL: North Melbourne v West Coast Eagles

North Melbourne this century have played home games at three neutral venues: Canberra, Gold Coast & Hobart. Despite Hobart being about 40% the size of the Gold Coast and 60% the size of Canberra, their average crowds there have been over 20% larger in Hobart thus far.
  • They have played 11 home games in Hobart and averaged 13,129
  • They played 6 home games on the Gold Coast (twice against Brisbane) and averaged 9,913.
  • They played 18 home games in Canberra (4x against Sydney and once against Collingwood) and averaged 11,069 (10,152 excluding Sydney matches)
Their lowest crowd in Hobart is 10,265
Their lowest crowd in the Gold Coast was 6,354
Their lowest crowd in Canberra was 7,222

Last edited:
17,644 for Collingwood and Gold Coast is dreadful.

It's been a poor season for Collingwood - 9 wins - but nothing dreadful.

Essendon last season were much worse (winning 6 matches) and had, until this season, their lowest home crowds this century - 23,705 (Port) & 25,914 (Adelaide). Comparably Collingwood this year have had home crowds of 20,320 and 17,644.

Imagine if Richmond pulled crowds in the high teens every time they only win 9 games in a season...

Whilst Collingwood are the most supported club in Melbourne, as I've said before, I think its been grossly exaggerated by their relative successful last 15 years, whilst Richmond, Carlton and Essendon have been awful. A couple of below par seasons and crowds have fallen massively like all other clubs in similar circumstances.

North Melbourne this century have played home games at three neutral venues: Canberra, Gold Coast & Hobart. Despite Hobart being about 40% the size of the Gold Coast and 60% the size of Canberra, their average crowds there have been over 20% larger in Hobart thus far.
  • They have played 11 home games in Hobart and averaged 13,129
  • They played 6 home games on the Gold Coast (twice against Brisbane) and averaged 9,913.
  • They played 18 home games in Canberra (4x against Sydney and once against Collingwood) and averaged 11,069 (10,152 excluding Sydney matches)
Their lowest crowd in Hobart is 10,265
Their lowest crowd in the Gold Coast was 6,354
Their lowest crowd in Canberra was 7,222

Well l guess Tasmania being a footy state you would expect at least a few locals to turn up.
If we had our own team l would expect a much greater level of support. However that matters not to the owners of the game.

Essendon last season were much worse (winning 6 matches) and had, until this season, their lowest home crowds this century - 23,705 (Port) & 25,914 (Adelaide). Comparably Collingwood this year have had home crowds of 20,320 and 17,644.

Imagine if Richmond pulled crowds in the high teens every time they only win 9 games in a season...

Whilst Collingwood are the most supported club in Melbourne, as I've said before, I think its been grossly exaggerated by their relative successful last 15 years, whilst Richmond, Carlton and Essendon have been awful. A couple of below par seasons and crowds have fallen massively like all other clubs in similar circumstances.

Can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with Collingwood and crowds ATM, even when the team is losing the fans normally show more support and passion- it could be just one of those years and of course unrest with Buckley

I didn't realise their support was so soft. 17k is the sort of crowd North or the Dogs would draw if they were going mediocre.

I don't entirely agree - back in 2004/5 when they had poor seasons they were still able to get 26k & 27k crowds to late-season matches against likes of Freo & Port.

I think it's partly supporter disenchantment - not necessarily with not winning but how Buckley is seemingly untouchable as coach while Eddie is there.

But on a broader level I think it shows a change in culture amongst Vic footy fans who pick and choose which games they go to. The proportion of supporters who go every week regardless of how the side is going has dropped substantially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wonder if there's a deeper issue with the Pies. I sense a disconnect between their club and fans.. I just wonder if everyone is pulling in the same direction. The no shows at the Pies home games at both Ethigad and the G indicate more than simply a soft year on field. It's not as though they're bottom 4, they have won 9 games.

The Ethihad factor us a small factor. I doubt more than 21-22K would've turned up at the G tonight, their cried V Dockers suggests this as Freo bring more fans than the Suns.

They will end up drawing around 980,000 to their games this year.. MCG redevelopment aside, probably their lowest since the 1990's.

Broadly it's another very poor Victorian crowd tonight in a disappointing year of crowds in the biggest football state.

The Goose that laid the golden egg lived but AFL killed it as the 1990's progressed.

Chickens have come home to roost in 2016.

You mess with a good recipe and s**t can happen.

Note that crowds didnt peak until 2008. and in 2016 at least the traditionally top drawing teams all had bad or uneven years - none will make the finals. That has an impact on crowds, which this year has largely been balanced out by the crowds that North, Dogs and Saints have been tracking - which is why Docklands crowds are up 10% on last years end year figure, while the MCG is down 6%. (as at the end of round 21)

That said, Victoria is presently breaking even on the 2015 mark for crowds (actually up a miniscule amount), NSW is up and so is Tasmania and the ACT, so blame for this years downturn rests with Queensland (down 9%), Western Australia (down 7%) and South Australia (down 4%). The NT is down 27% but its overall impact on numbers is minimal.

Where the crowds will be hurt is the finals due to the smaller capacity of the WA/SA/NSW grounds.

Note that crowds didnt peak until 2008. and in 2016 at least the traditionally top drawing teams all had bad or uneven years - none will make the finals. That has an impact on crowds, which this year has largely been balanced out by the crowds that North, Dogs and Saints have been tracking - which is why Docklands crowds are up 10% on last years end year figure, while the MCG is down 6%. (as at the end of round 21)

That said, Victoria is presently breaking even on the 2015 mark for crowds (actually up a miniscule amount), NSW is up and so is Tasmania and the ACT, so blame for this years downturn rests with Queensland (down 9%), Western Australia (down 7%) and South Australia (down 4%). The NT is down 27% but its overall impact on numbers is minimal.

Where the crowds will be hurt is the finals due to the smaller capacity of the WA/SA/NSW grounds.

Get what you are saying mate, but in response to what I was posting crowd figures now are only relevant to the time we have had football fixtures have a pattern of games spread over as many time slots as possible to maximise the numbers.
We have 9 games now they do not compete with each other for crowds like they once did.
Rubbery figures if trying to compare real crowd attraction to attend games with more than one decade back,

Truly was amazing that up until 1984 we tended to play most games at the same time competing with each other in same city.
For me that was a golden age of enjoying going to football and having a great experience and there would be times there was over 150,000 people across Melbourne enjoying games on several different grounds at same time. Some years a final on at Waverley and another at MCG at same time and over 160,000 people at football in the time when population nothing like it is now.

Goto games ,see your reserves if you wanted, have a good chat before senior game without video screens imposing crap on your attention you would rather not have and see a game where there was not an ugly overuse of interchange bench and runners. Was great times. Truly think with 4 bench players , rotations and congestion and no curtain raisers they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg of generations before us that we were blessed to enjoy the game in 1980s that came later. Still a good game I goto but far less compelling to feel the desire to go each week. Some of us that truly loved the game we grew up with are just going less and less. We still follow the sport but the week to week fun ritual and great experience of going to football to follow our clubs has changed so much that we pick and choose now when we go and the crowd numbers of 2016 compared to 2008 as you mentioned just highlight to me the afterglow of the golden age is well and truly gone. The game is now just part of a more vast entertainment industry. What made it a great game is no longer so obviously standing out any more. It is now so much more like other sports it has killed off it's original greatness I am feeling. Clearly more of us are feeling this way when we are seeing crowds in more comfortable conditions than at any time but some crowds with no other football games to compete against at same time, struggle to break or even get over 20,000 in the city the great game originated.

Get what you are saying mate, but in response to what I was posting crowd figures now are only relevant to the time we have had football fixtures have a pattern of games spread over as many time slots as possible to maximise the numbers.
We have 9 games now they do not compete with each other for crowds like they once did.
Rubbery figures if trying to compare real crowd attraction to attend games with more than one decade back,

Truly was amazing that up until 1984 we tended to play most games at the same time competing with each other in same city.
For me that was a golden age of enjoying going to football and having a great experience and there would be times there was over 150,000 people across Melbourne enjoying games on several different grounds at same time. Some years a final on at Waverley and another at MCG at same time and over 160,000 people at football in the time when population nothing like it is now.

Goto games ,see your reserves if you wanted, have a good chat before senior game without video screens imposing crap on your attention you would rather not have and see a game where there was not an ugly overuse of interchange bench and runners. Was great times. Truly think with 4 bench players , rotations and congestion and no curtain raisers they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg of generations before us that we were blessed to enjoy the game in 1980s that came later. Still a good game I goto but far less compelling to feel the desire to go each week. Some of us that truly loved the game we grew up with are just going less and less. We still follow the sport but the week to week fun ritual and great experience of going to football to follow our clubs has changed so much that we pick and choose now when we go and the crowd numbers of 2016 compared to 2008 as you mentioned just highlight to me the afterglow of the golden age is well and truly gone. The game is now just part of a more vast entertainment industry. What made it a great game is no longer so obviously standing out any more. It is now so much more like other sports it has killed off it's original greatness I am feeling. Clearly more of us are feeling this way when we are seeing crowds in more comfortable conditions than at any time but some crowds with no other football games to compete against at same time, struggle to break or even get over 20,000 in the city the great game originated.

Agree with your post, although nostalgia tinged, society has changed, work practices, interests, sports, families have all changed, we cant go back.

It should be noted that the big difference between 2008 and now is that there's an extra 22 games being played and the aggregate H&A crowd number overall has been regressing a bit.

Those extra games are in NSW/QLD and I think NSW has come out of it pretty well - while GWS crowd numbers aren't great (still can't guarantee 10k to home games even when going well) it has added to - not taken away - from the Swans whose crowds have been exceptionally strong the last few years.

In contrast Queensland has been a disaster under the expansion in matches. I'm pretty sure that the stats show that the combined average home crowds for Bris/GC this year are actually less than what Brisbane would get on its own not just in its premiership era, but as recently as 2009/10 period. As it stands, it's the biggest failure of the AFL in the post-Fitzroy era.

It should be noted that the big difference between 2008 and now is that there's an extra 22 games being played and the aggregate H&A crowd number overall has been regressing a bit.

Those extra games are in NSW/QLD and I think NSW has come out of it pretty well - while GWS crowd numbers aren't great (still can't guarantee 10k to home games even when going well) it has added to - not taken away - from the Swans whose crowds have been exceptionally strong the last few years.

In contrast Queensland has been a disaster under the expansion in matches. I'm pretty sure that the stats show that the combined average home crowds for Bris/GC this year are actually less than what Brisbane would get on its own not just in its premiership era, but as recently as 2009/10 period. As it stands, it's the biggest failure of the AFL in the post-Fitzroy era.

bvSz0XQ.png

2011 Brisbane lions 15th, GC 17th
2012 BL 13th, GC 17th
2013 BL 12th, GC 14th
2014 BL 15th, GC 12th
2015 BL 17th, GC 16th

^^^^^^^^ There is your number one reason, number 2 and number 3 reason why crowds drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back