Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also hope it is only a mild summer coming up as February can be brutal weather wise, esp for playing a game like footy.

Even worse when the storm game is nearly a sellout down here.
I really don't get why they don't get the numbers we do, like there is no logical reason other than they just don't get around sport like the people down south in Melbourne Adelaide and Perth!

It was nowhere near a sellout the stadium holds 31,000 full and 24,000 is a long way shy of that.

Quite pathetic really cant even fill the smallest football stadium in Melbourne when the had the weekend to themselves and a lot of PR esp from the Hun.
As I have pointed our before the Storm have actually gone backwards in crowd support over the years even when they finish on top like this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely 80k for a cats/Hawks final would be disappointing?

Yep, only game on in Melbourne , starved of any other football or final for last two weeks. So much time to sell all the tickets and organise getting there. Got to be 90K plus.
80K if cold and wet night with a few people choosing to stay home and watch on tv.

OK, not following it here, all categories of tickets on the ticketek (yesterday)site for sale at ANZ to AFL club members and the general public are sold out, exhausted or only single tickets are left, which happens at any sold out ground.

According to wiki the ground holds 82,500 for an oval configuration, a full members reserve can hold 18,400 people.

So if we take away 18,400 from 82,500 we get ( or should get ) 64,100 seats for sale.

I can only think ANZ has not released all tickets for sale.

***Hold the farm

Category 3 and 4 tickets now back on sale after being exhausted yesterday

Ticketek :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK, not following it here, all categories of tickets on the ticketek (yesterday)site for sale at ANZ to AFL club members and the general public are sold out, exhausted or only single tickets are left, which happens at any sold out ground.

According to wiki the ground holds 82,500 for an oval configuration, a full members reserve can hold 18,400 people.

So if we take away 18,400 from 82,500 we get ( or should get ) 64,100 seats for sale.

I can only think ANZ has not released all tickets for sale.

***Hold the farm

Category 3 and 4 tickets now back on sale after being exhausted yesterday

Ticketek :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stadium membership ?
SCG member entitled seats as MCC/AFL members ?

Astounding figures. Brilliant crowd too.

You'd think those sort of numbers will get some sponsors on board - and it'll be interesting to see the numbers for the real stuff next year. You'd think the TV networks would be considering showing a lot more games than what was first intended (which I believe was just the 1 a round).

Past home and away crowds have hit 80k, it's the only game in Melbourne after 2 weeks of nothing at all, and probably the biggest rivalry of the past 10 years.
Maybe I'm expecting too much after our 2 finals have hit 90k, but I'd be hoping for 85-90.

I would think that the MCC members should be close to capacity. It's the first game available for the 2016/17 intake of members and many will be there to check it out. The MCC have added an additional 10,000 members in the 2016/17 intake compared to what they took in two years back and existing members will only have the one game to choose from this week. Will be disappointing if there are slabs of empty seats in the MCC.

I would think that the MCC members should be close to capacity. It's the first game available for the 2016/17 intake of members and many will be there to check it out. The MCC have added an additional 10,000 members in the 2016/17 intake compared to what they took in two years back and existing members will only have the one game to choose from this week. Will be disappointing if there are slabs of empty seats in the MCC.
Visitors sold out by Thursday morning I think (might be wrong). Not sure if this is quick compared to prior years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Astounding figures. Brilliant crowd too.

You'd think those sort of numbers will get some sponsors on board - and it'll be interesting to see the numbers for the real stuff next year. You'd think the TV networks would be considering showing a lot more games than what was first intended (which I believe was just the 1 a round).
Lethlean was talking 2 minimum between Fox and 7. 1 FTA, 1 Fox, stream the other 2. Some rounds may have more broadcast.

AFL Members has only restricted view and standing room tickets left for Geelong v Hawthorn. Still looks to be a reasonable number of tickets left for the public in the top levels, though.

Looking good for 80k+ at this stage.

There have only been 4 games in the first week of the finals to get to 85k in the last 40 odd years, so if it reaches that mark it'll be doing well.

AFL Members has only restricted view and standing room tickets left for Geelong v Hawthorn. Still looks to be a reasonable number of tickets left for the public in the top levels, though.

There have only been 4 games in the first week of the finals to get to 85k in the last 40 odd years, so if it reaches that mark it'll be doing well.
3 of those have come in the last 5 years.
Essendon v Carlton 2011
Richmond v Carlton 2013
Richmond v North 2015

Which is the other?

3 of those have come in the last 5 years.
Essendon v Carlton 2011
Richmond v Carlton 2013
Richmond v North 2015

Which is the other?

Yep, they're all in the last 5 years.

The other one is Hawthorn v Collingwood QF in 2012 - 85,639

Richmond V North 2015
Richmond V blues 2013
Bombers V blues 2011
What one am I missing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since i record these as both on my spreadsheets and such, Im opting to have one official thread this year for both Crowds and Ratings. Note: Banter should be kept to your boards banter threads, if you have them, or Bay 13, where apropriate

AFL Crowds in week 1 dropped compared to last year. Hawthorns game v Carlton at York park pulled 6,000 less than the corresponding game against Collingwood last year - both games were the opening match of the Challenge and both games were played on a Thursday night. The game attracted 35,000 less viewers on Fox.

Fremantles game against Richmond in Mandurah pulled 2,500 less than the corresponding game last year between West Coast and Carlton, at the same time on the same day, and both were in week 1 of the Challenege. It only fell 6,000 viewers short on Foxtel.

Brisbanes game against Gold Coast in Moreton bay pulled 2,500 less than its first game of the Challenege against St Kilda last year at the same venue, but on saturday instead of sunday.

Ratings wise, every game of the 2016 challenge is broadcast - at an average of 106,000 in week 1. Last year only four of the first 6 games were broadcast, at an average of 100,000. The corresponding lowest game of week 1 was 54,000 - Western Bulldogs v Richmond on a Saturday afternoon., whereas this year it was 74,000 between St Kilda and North Melbourne.
The Round 21 figure for Freo Adelaide is not correct surely?

Gil said tonight Friday tracking for 87k.
Sydney around 55k.
Sydney will depend on how much the media promote the game and the weather which at the moment looks to be ok
Also will depend if a lot of walk ups turn up on the night.60,000 is not out of the question Both Adelaide and Perth will be sellouts and the totals will depend how many opt to stay at home and watch on TV it could be wet in Perth (whats new?) so that could put a couple of thousand off going.

The AFL are hoping for 90k at the G once again will depend on the weather.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back