Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they did it came up as crap on my LG 80in one of the best you can get if they think that was HD ill go he

Whereas Foxtels replay as in real HD and was fantastic
Not sure it was hd in regional areas if you are regional.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Looks like round 1 2017 will go close to breaking some crowd records...I've got it coming close to 400k...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the current round attendance record for a first round? (I know the old 1998 rd 22 record was recently broken, but I can't remember the circumstances).

Is the current round attendance record for a first round? (I know the old 1998 rd 22 record was recently broken, but I can't remember the circumstances).
Round 15 2013 - 371,212. This was of course a 8 game round with 16 teams. Average Crowd of 46,401

So I think they will beat the total figure Round 1 2017 - but to beat the average they'll need over 417,613 - which may be a stretch...

Yep silly me.

The Round 22 1998 record of 367,974 remains the highest average per game - 45,997

So to beat it, they'll need 413,971.

Details here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-07/fans-set-new-singleround-attendance-record

Admittedly, the giants hosted the dogs for an attendance of some 7k, so in reality, it's not far off 8 games!

Beating that record only requires an average per game of 42k (I say only, but it's still hard to achieve because a lot has to go right at the one time).

Admittedly, the giants hosted the dogs for an attendance of some 7k, so in reality, it's not far off 8 games!

Beating that record only requires an average per game of 42k (I say only, but it's still hard to achieve because a lot has to go right at the one time).

I'd say it will almost certainly break the total record and is almost 50 50 to break the average. The big 5 Melbourne teams at the g with the biggest one against the premier and the other two in rivalry games, Adelaide and Sydney at home and a Queensland derby...almost like this round was precisely designed to break records

I'd say it will almost certainly break the total record and is almost 50 50 to break the average. The big 5 Melbourne teams at the g with the biggest one against the premier and the other two in rivalry games, Adelaide and Sydney at home and a Queensland derby...almost like this round was precisely designed to break records

If they average 75k across those 3 MCG games (a distinct possibility), that's only 150k needed across the other six games - so it does look like it's going to happen.

If they average 75k across those 3 MCG games (a distinct possibility), that's only 150k needed across the other six games - so it does look like it's going to happen.
Right lets put some early figures to it then
Its round 1 so form is not an issue - Lets go with your 75k average for the MCG games (I've made them all 75k for simplicity), I think I have been quite realistic with the other figures.

THURSDAY MARCH 23

Carlton v Richmond, MCG - 75k

FRIDAY MARCH 24

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs, MCG - 75k

SATURDAY MARCH 25

Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, SCG - 35k

North Melbourne v West Coast, Etihad Stadium - 25k

Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium - 20k

Essendon v Hawthorn, MCG - 75k

SUNDAY MARCH 26

Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney, Adelaide Oval - 45k

St Kilda v Melbourne, Etihad Stadium - 30k

Fremantle v Geelong, Domain Stadium - 35k

Thats 415k and a new record (not just total but average)

Its round 1 so form is not an issue - Lets go with your 75k average for the MCG games (I've made them all 75k for simplicity), I think I have been quite realistic with the other figures.

THURSDAY MARCH 23

FRIDAY MARCH 24

SATURDAY MARCH 25

SUNDAY MARCH 26

And looking like reasonable estimates. You can take a few thou of each estimate and we're still well ahead of the record.

THURSDAY MARCH 23

FRIDAY MARCH 24

SATURDAY MARCH 25

SUNDAY MARCH 26

I think the Collingwood v Bulldogs game will be the one to struggle to get to 75k. Let's not forget that the Bulldogs' biggest ever crowd is just 68k, and they've only got to 60k 6 times ever.

I know that being the reigning premiers is new territory for them but the game will also be sandwiched between 2 higher profile games so I think it won't get the same amount of neutrals it otherwise would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Collingwood v Bulldogs game will be the one to struggle to get to 75k. Let's not forget that the Bulldogs' biggest ever crowd is just 68k, and they've only got to 60k 6 times ever.

I know that being the reigning premiers is new territory for them but the game will also be sandwiched between 2 higher profile games so I think it won't get the same amount of neutrals it otherwise would.

It's a fair enough point, but if there was ever a time for the dogs to break 70k, this has got to be it.

By the way, will the flag be unfurled at this game, or must it always be at the first home game of the season?

It's a fair enough point, but if there was ever a time for the dogs to break 70k, this has got to be it.

By the way, will the flag be unfurled at this game, or must it always be at the first home game of the season?

I'd be surprised if Collingwood allowed it.

And that's nothing against them, i'd be surprised if any club would allow it at their home game.

No, it will be at the first home game. Or first home game at your home ground, as was the case with Collingwood in 2011. Played Port at Docklands first up but waited until our first game at the G and Carlton (specially requested by Ed).

The_Wookie I'm trying to create an infographicthat points out what Australia's most popular sports are and seeing as you have the data on hand are you able to send me the following things (well, what you can)
Average Crowd per H&A match
Highest H&A Crowd
Lowest H&A Crowd
Median H&A Crowd (I'm greedy, I know)
and Matches played.
All this for AFL, NRL, Super Rugby (Aus Only), A-League and BBL. Cheers.

The_Wookie I'm trying to create an infographicthat points out what Australia's most popular sports are and seeing as you have the data on hand are you able to send me the following things (well, what you can)
Highest H&A Crowd
Lowest H&A Crowd
and Matches played.

no.

Highest H&A Crowd
Lowest H&A Crowd
and Matches played.
Not sure if you are trolling or not - but just in case you are serious, you can start with the site below which will allow you to get all the figures for what you want for AFL and NRL. You will need to do some of your own analysis though (e.g to get averages etc). For other sports, a wikipedia or similar google search should yield you results.

http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html

Not sure if you are trolling or not - but just in case you are serious, you can start with the site below which will allow you to get all the figures for what you want for AFL and NRL. You will need to do some of your own analysis though (e.g to get averages etc). For other sports, a wikipedia or similar google search should yield you results.

http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html
Why would I be trolling? But thank you.

Carlton/Richmond wouldn't be a guarantee either. They may all be a bit ambitious.

Carlton/Richmond wouldn't be a guarantee either. They may all be a bit ambitious.

Over history you will find that the Carlton Home game always draws the higher crowd, unsure as the the reason weather it's more blues members turning up that Richmond ones, or Richmond fans more willing to purchase an away ticket, but I do believe that this crowd will be up on last years and be around the 78-80k.

The Collingwood and Dogs game has so much appeal to the neutral fan also, neither are my team but I'll 100% be there, as well as the bombers and the Hawks!

Bring on the first week of footy in Melbourne where I think the only Melbourne game I won't be attending is the North one!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't think you were trolling, but it was a bit of a strange request.

Hey man, do you mind spending a few hours of your own time working out all these averages and then handing them over to me?
Some people are special and people just do what they want because they are special.

Ok Ill have a go this far out

THURSDAY MARCH 23

Carlton v Richmond, MCG - 82k

FRIDAY MARCH 24

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs, MCG - 79k

SATURDAY MARCH 25

Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, SCG - 38k

North Melbourne v West Coast, Etihad Stadium - 28k

Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium - 24k

Essendon v Hawthorn, MCG - 85k

SUNDAY MARCH 26

Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney, Adelaide Oval - 48k