2nds The 2016 Casey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I could run a 14 beep test in my prime, but was absolutely crap at 3km for some reason.

I could also run a 2.8 second 20 metre sprint which was my best bragging right.

Once I stopped playing under 18's, my athletic abilities went to ground very, very quickly.

I've been living in the past for 20 years..

That is elite level fitness. Even for professional AFL players.
Yeah my training regime was pretty intense. I've always had natural speed, so I went pretty hard at my endurance, training 6 times a week, clocking up 70+km's a week, most of them in the middle of the day of Queensland summer. I went on and had a ripping season until about Round 14 when my back just about completely packed it in ... I battled on for the rest of the year, but was never the same.

Yeah my training regime was pretty intense. I've always had natural speed, so I went pretty hard at my endurance, training 6 times a week, clocking up 70+km's a week, most of them in the middle of the day of Queensland summer. I went on and had a ripping season until about Round 14 when my back just about completely packed it in ... I battled on for the rest of the year, but was never the same.
I did the same last off season. Was running 10-12km a day through summer. Went to a new club in the ammos which required more running, and less physicality. Hated life there, so went back to my old club, was sitting at 90kgs and 196cm when I went back to country footy and got absolutely smacked first game back. So spent the year trying to put weight back on. It's impacted my time trial, but I play better footy when sitting 95-100

Was sick last week so didn't make my actual time trial for training, so did a make up on sunday. Still was 100% and ran a 10:30 2.5km, posted in our footy group how annoyed I was at that time. Got a text from an assistant coach saying "might want to calm down calling that a s**t time. You're currently top 4 at the club"

Ah, reminiscing, the good old days. I remember when I could down 6 stubbies in less than ten minutes, have two pies, another 6 stubbies and then have the missus screaming in ecstasy in less than 45 seconds, (she had no choice, it wasn’t lasting much longer) god I was a legend, (in my own lunch box of course).

Took me ages to work out why she called me Victa.

None of our boys taken yet :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you imagine the buzz at Casey training now. Two Casey players rookied into MFC. The dream is real. Train and play hard, listen to Plapp, and who knows what could happen.

Recruiting to Casey just got easier.
As far as I know they get around 70-80 there until they make a cute. They do alright for getting players because there's a heap of local leagues around there that noone else taps into.

Can you imagine the buzz at Casey training now. Two Casey players rookied into MFC. The dream is real. Train and play hard, listen to Plapp, and who knows what could happen.

a few second and third year players appear to be training harder since the news

Plus Oscar McInerney got rookied at the Lions, so three Casey players got call-ups. Great stuff.

Ben Ainsworth also played about half a game down there as 23rd man lol

Problem here is that the vfl cap isn't that big so you can't go out signing big guns esp with the alignment
Can't recruit a gun midfielder that will push afl players out

I wonder what the pay difference is like between VFL and AFL Rookie....

I imagine its a decent jump from VFL to Senior list Draftee, but the Rookies still make s**t don't they?

I wonder what the pay difference is like between VFL and AFL Rookie....

I imagine its a decent jump from VFL to Senior list Draftee, but the Rookies still make s**t don't they?
Rookies base is around 55k to 60k, plus I think its around 3k+ per senior match.
VFL does not pay much, get more playing local footy in most cases.

Rookies base is around 55k to 60k, plus I think its around 3k+ per senior match.
VFL does not pay much, get more playing local footy in most cases.

Wow.... i know some of the EFL players get paid huge cash sums per match even down in Div 4, when they mercenary out as marking goalkicking forwards... but i figured it had to be better at VFL level.

As far as making a crust goes i guess you could do worse. I've done jobs at 30-40k a year, and playing footy would have been preferable.

Wow.... i know some of the EFL players get paid huge cash sums per match even down in Div 4, when they mercenary out as marking goalkicking forwards... but i figured it had to be better at VFL level.

As far as making a crust goes i guess you could do worse. I've done jobs at 30-40k a year, and playing footy would have been preferable.
Nah the VFL doesn't pay a hell of a lot. I play divi 2, and a lot of our players earn more than probably 99% of development players, and a lot of seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back