Scandal The 2016 finals series was rigged

Remove this Banner Ad

ErrolisGoldun

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes, clearly based on this thread... says a lot.

Either way, anyone who thinks the games are rigged and still follows the sport passionately enough to post in a footy forum has some serious issues.

Might as well go follow the wrestling.
Not really, just the same as you I would assume.

Love my club, in spite of the meddling of the AFL/umpires, and will make the next time we win all the more sweeter!

Not really, just the same as you I would assume.

Love my club, in spite of the meddling of the AFL/umpires, and will make the next time we win all the more sweeter!
And I hope whoever you beat cops it on the chin and acts with a little dignity, class and character.

ErrolisGoldun

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
And I hope whoever you beat cops it on the chin and acts with a little dignity, class and character.
I did in 1996, 2006 and 2014. Beaten fairly and squarely.

2016 was something altogether different. Unsure why you care so much Maddog37?

You won the flag, umpiring was atrocious, but at the end of the day you won. As you won, I wouldn’t give a toss what anyone else thinks.

You can choose to look back on the game as you wish. I have a feeling the AFL didn’t want the Swans to win so soon after the Buddy deal. They had it in for us and it’s no coincidence the umpiring was biased on the day. This had a direct impact on the result.

Take the win mate, enjoy the spoils but I will never shy away from what I witnessed and as I said previously, “most” fair minded and knowledgeable footy fans witnessed two teams being umpired differently. One more favourable than the other. Free kick count (just one measure) was 20-8 Bulldogs favour and even the Swans free kicks were padded out with out of bounds on the full, free kicks!!

Funnily enough I have watched the 2016 grand final more times than the 2005 and 2012 wins. Reviewing the non decisions and the injustice of the day. Must be a masochist!

You won the flag, umpiring was atrocious, but at the end of the day you won. As you won, I wouldn’t give a toss what anyone else thinks.

You can choose to look back on the game as you wish. I have a feeling the AFL didn’t want the Swans to win so soon after the Buddy deal. They had it in for us and it’s no coincidence the umpiring was biased on the day. This had a direct impact on the result.

Take the win mate, enjoy the spoils but I will never shy away from what I witnessed and as I said previously, “most” fair minded and knowledgeable footy fans witnessed two teams being umpired differently. One more favourable than the other. Free kick count (just one measure) was 20-8 Bulldogs favour and even the Swans free kicks were padded out with out of bounds on the full, free kicks!!

Funnily enough I have watched the 2016 grand final more times than the 2005 and 2012 wins. Reviewing the non decisions and the injustice of the day. Must be a masochist!

Per my previous post it seems you lack said dignity, class and character.

I feel sorry for you being lost in small minded bitterness.

ErrolisGoldun

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Per my previous post it seems you lack said dignity, class and character.

I feel sorry for you being lost in small minded bitterness.
Didn’t answer my question Maddog37.

Thanks for your empathy though.

unsure what is small minded about my previous post, but ah well. You do you and I will do me.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Incorrect, out on the full is not counted in the free kick tally.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood

The AFL have had it in for St.Kilda since 1966, if they have it in for the Swans, you may never ever win another one.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

I've watched the 2016 Grand Final more than the 2013 and 2015 Hawks flags and I can comfortably say the reaction to the umpiring on the day is completely overblown.

There wasn't some howler directly in front of goal that affected the result.
The run on the Dogs had late which blew out the final margin didn't come off the back of any contentious umpiring decisions.
The thing the AFL want above all else is an all Sydney Grand Final. The Dogs prevented that from happening. They weren't suddenly going to receive preferential treatment to win an elusive premiership.

The fact is that the Bulldogs played a brand of footy during that period that resulted in a high likelihood of high/in the back free kicks. They weren't tall. They had smaller, faster role players who had to crack in harder than their opponents all day just to give themselves a chance of winning each week.

On top of all of this, Sydney went into a Grand Final with Gary Rohan and Xavier Richards in the best 22. The worst big game performer in AFL history and a player who wasn't AFL standard. If Josh Kennedy hadn't played the Dogs would have won by 8 goals and I'd wager that we wouldn't still be talking about the free kick count 6 years later.

in the eyes of the AFL loving bogan public - and Dogs fans tick that box spectacularly - it's wrong to spot corruption in the nitty-gritty play-by-play midfield contests, where the Dogs were diving all over the place, because the umpire does the best job he can and we cannot dare question it because we're Good Aussie Bogans. the only corruption that can possibly exist in a game of footy is the really obvious push-in-the-back not given with 7 seconds to go that would've given the forward the chance to kick the winner after the siren. you're allowed to have a casual chat around the legitimacy of that around the pub, but only for a bit - "the exact same thing happened last week and they gave the free! bit weird aye?". too much and you look like a conspiracy theorist and not a good AFL loving Aussie Bogan. if you try to analyse play-by-play stuff in the heat of the action you're being a Bad Aussie and thinking about things too much and not letting the Umpires do their "bloody tough" job. the AFL have tuned the people and culture around their competition incredibly well.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
in the eyes of the AFL loving bogan public - and Dogs fans tick that box spectacularly - it's wrong to spot corruption in the nitty-gritty play-by-play midfield contests, where the Dogs were diving all over the place, because the umpire does the best job he can and we cannot dare question it because we're Good Aussie Bogans. the only corruption that can possibly exist in a game of footy is the really obvious push-in-the-back not given with 7 seconds to go that would've given the forward the chance to kick the winner after the siren. you're allowed to have a casual chat around the legitimacy of that around the pub, but only for a bit - "the exact same thing happened last week and they gave the free! bit weird aye?". too much and you look like a conspiracy theorist and not a good AFL loving Aussie Bogan. if you try to analyse play-by-play stuff in the heat of the action you're being a Bad Aussie and thinking about things too much and not letting the Umpires do their "bloody tough" job. the AFL have tuned the people and culture around their competition incredibly well.
Here is a Port Adelaide supporter labelling Dogs fans as Bogan.

A Port fan, who apparently knows nothing about paragraphs and also believes capitals are random characters to be smattered through his posts.

Irony is rampant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a Port Adelaide supporter labelling Dogs fans as Bogan.

A Port fan, who apparently knows nothing about paragraphs and also believes capitals are random characters to be smattered through his posts.

Irony is rampant.

you replied how everyone knew you would reply, playing the man not the ball, i wouldn't expect anything more

you replied how everyone knew you would reply, playing the man not the ball, i wouldn't expect anything more
You called Dogs fans "bogans", but that's not personal?
You've managed to insult every Dogs fan.

Playing the man × all Dogs fans.

...nah, that's not personal 🤣

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The game is tainted

That report also lacks context as it only shows contentious umpiring that favours the Bulldogs and they are NOT all incorrect.

It doesn't show a few the other way and they did occur.

From memory Naismith lashed out at Johannisen with a mid-air boot in quarter 1 and GOT THE FREE.

Parker in Q2 took out Wood before the ball in a marking contest and resulted in a Kennedy goal from a blatant free missed.

Buddy was continually permitted to take on the tackler without correct disposal and was only called for a free (unnecessary) in the instance where Boyd picked up the spillage and goaled from inside the centre square.

Note also that many of the free differential are irrelevant because it was simply play-on advantage and the outcome was the same without a free being called.

I understand that plenty of posters in this thread are going to say that I am just a biased Bulldog supporter, but they need to get over it.

We won and I just watched the entire 2016 Bulldog final series (again).

We still won.

..and in 2022 we might be coming to a final series near you.. again.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A Port Adelaide fan calling other clubs fans bogans. Now I’ve seen it all.

I feel bad now, if a fixed game is the highlight of your life who am I to take that away?

Might be time to drive the Cortina into the sunset, Bad Boy.

Oh, and watch out for the sink holes over near Larg's Bay. Don't want to drop that rusty front end!

Last edited:
Back