The 2017/18 Womens Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The womens Ashes is run side-by-side with the Men with the first match today at Allan Border Field.

For those unaware since 2013 it has been run with all 3 formats of the game deciding who takes home the ashes. This series will have 3 ODIs (worth 2 points each), a Day-Night Test (worth 4 points) and 3 T20s (worth 2 each). The team with the most points at the end of the 7 matches wins.

The first ODI is currently on GEM with England going fairly well at 2/113 after 26 overs. They would have to be favourites to take out the series with Australia missing Meg Lanning.

I missed the first hour and a bit, was just about to create a thread for this. England's healthy second wicket stand came to an end with a woeful piece of running between the wickets just as I tuned in.

Expectations for an Australian win may be lower without their best batsman, but that isn't to say our team is short on talent. A lot more pressure on the likes of Healy and Villani, clean strikers of the ball who just haven't shown enough sense and application in the past. And of course, having the right balance between bat and ball will also be crucial, which they never really had throughout the World Cup earlier in the year.

Gardner loving that Lyon-on-a-dead-track leg stump line. Led to three wickets but it just makes for garbage cricket, which is the less tactful version of what Mark Taylor was saying by nominating Wellington as the better bowler today.

Perry looks to have done a lot of work on her run-up/delivery stride. Certainly more energy in the approach than what she's had for a while, but still falling away occasionally, and I haven't been able to pick up the follow-through too clearly on tv.

Felt like there was a lot more runs in that pitch, frontline bowlers did a good job for both teams.

Solid innings from Blackwell. Her experience shone through in the middle overs, even though she can play a bit too cute at times. Never seemed to panic (and didn't need to, thanks to Gardner dragging it back) except for trying to take that single at the end of the 49th over which was inexplicable.

Thought that English bowler that bowled the 48th over was a bit of a chucker (Gunn I think).
Gunn copped a few "no ball" calls from one or two blokes in the crowd, so you weren't the only one to come to that conclusion today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going off the law Tubby read out, I'd have to agree Perry was harshly done by to be taken off after that second no-ball. No point in harping on about it, but it's funny how our bowlers don't receive any benefit of doubt. Good thing we had a legitimate sixth bowling option on hand, doesn't take much to need it in this game and McGrath stood up well.

England thoroughly outplayed today. 4-0 down on the points table, they need some big scores from their top 5 soon or else they're stuffed.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Comfortable win for the Aussies. Poms are going to find it tough from here.
Going off the law Tubby read out, I'd have to agree Perry was harshly done by to be taken off after that second no-ball. No point in harping on about it, but it's funny how our bowlers don't receive any benefit of doubt. Good thing we had a legitimate sixth bowling option on hand, doesn't take much to need it in this game and McGrath stood up well.

England thoroughly outplayed today. 4-0 down on the points table, they need some big scores from their top 5 soon or else they're stuffed.

Radio commentators were of the same opinion.

Fair bit of dumb batting going on in this run chase. England should be all over this but having dropped Bolton and Healy multiple times earlier, it's about a 50-50 ball game right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back