Mega Thread The 2017 'Buckley's Chances' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I do have some sympathy for the Heater melters.:'(
Sympathy is a good trait.
But at some point letting go is very healthy.
We have Adams they have Shaw.
Life has continued

No change in gameplan, same as last. Very stagnant and unimaginative.

Not really I've noticed a few tweaks with the smaller and
in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif
more mobile forward line just need time to gel

jc018353.jpg
The Melbourne department store of Buckley and Nunn first opened its doors in 1851, and in its heyday was a store with as fine a reputation as David Jones (1838) or Farmers (1840) in Sydney.

The famous name Buckley gave rise to many a saying and also evoked many a feeling among Collingwood supporters.

The problem is particularly vexing with slang, even in a country as young as Australia, where you’d perhaps assume that the derivation of all colloquialisms would be recorded. A good case in point is the Aussie expression Buckley’s, most commonly heard these days in the sceptical opinion “You’ve got Buckley’s”. This is an example of a word for which only conjectural etymologies seem to exist.

Spacer.gif
This is what OED2 has to say, for example:
Spacer.gif
Buckley’s. Austral. and N.Z. colloq. [Of uncertain origin.]
Spacer.gif
In full Buckley’s chance (or hope, etc.): a forlorn hope, no chance at all.

Spacer.gif
Macq2 puts it this way:
Spacer.gif
Buckley's. noun Colloquial
Spacer.gif
1 Also, Buckley's chance, Buckley's hope. a very slim chance; forlorn hope:
Spacer.gif
2 Buckley's and none, (humorous) two chances amounting to next to no chance.
Spacer.gif
[? from William BUCKLEY, influenced by the pun on the name of the former Melbourne department store, Buckley and Nunn]

Spacer.gif
G.A. Wilkes’ 1978 Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms (ISBN 0 00 635719 9) has this:
Spacer.gif
Buckley's chance (show, hope)
A forlorn hope, no chance at all
Spacer.gif
[Origin obscure. Connections have been suggested with 'the wild white man' William Buckley, the convict who absconded from Port Phillip in 1803 and lived for thirty-two years with the natives. He gave himself up in 1835 and lived until 1856. Another suggested derivation is a pun on the name of the Melbourne firm of Buckley and Nunn.]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't remember a team in sport that never went backwards at some stage, that's when the pressure mounts and we see if we're made of the right stuff. pressure creates diamonds.

just thought i'd start 2017 with a few clichés.
Pressure also causes cracks and explosions...

View attachment 323779
The Melbourne department store of Buckley and Nunn first opened its doors in 1851, and in its heyday was a store with as fine a reputation as David Jones (1838) or Farmers (1840) in Sydney.

The famous name Buckley gave rise to many a saying and also evoked many a feeling among Collingwood supporters.

The problem is particularly vexing with slang, even in a country as young as Australia, where you’d perhaps assume that the derivation of all colloquialisms would be recorded. A good case in point is the Aussie expression Buckley’s, most commonly heard these days in the sceptical opinion “You’ve got Buckley’s”. This is an example of a word for which only conjectural etymologies seem to exist.

Spacer.gif
This is what OED2 has to say, for example:
Spacer.gif
Buckley’s. Austral. and N.Z. colloq. [Of uncertain origin.]
Spacer.gif
In full Buckley’s chance (or hope, etc.): a forlorn hope, no chance at all.

Spacer.gif
Macq2 puts it this way:
Spacer.gif
Buckley's. noun Colloquial
Spacer.gif
1 Also, Buckley's chance, Buckley's hope. a very slim chance; forlorn hope:
Spacer.gif
2 Buckley's and none, (humorous) two chances amounting to next to no chance.
Spacer.gif
[? from William BUCKLEY, influenced by the pun on the name of the former Melbourne department store, Buckley and Nunn]

Spacer.gif
G.A. Wilkes’ 1978 Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms (ISBN 0 00 635719 9) has this:
Spacer.gif
Spacer.gif
[Origin obscure. Connections have been suggested with 'the wild white man' William Buckley, the convict who absconded from Port Phillip in 1803 and lived for thirty-two years with the natives. He gave himself up in 1835 and lived until 1856. Another suggested derivation is a pun on the name of the Melbourne firm of Buckley and Nunn.]
Also a fine eatery for the likes of pancakes and all day breakfasts when down the Peninsula and worth a visit when nearby..

2017 resolution, following the advice of my old gran, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all".

I like a lot of the list changes, I'm positive about the coaching group so generally, I'm optomistic that I'll have a lot to say during the coming season.

2017 resolution, following the advice of my old gran, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all".

I like a lot of the list changes, I'm positive about the coaching group so generally, I'm optomistic that I'll have a lot to say during the coming season.
Optomistic: noun . Negative mindset countered by prescribed rose coloured glasses.
Word of the year so far for me.

Spacer.gif
Spacer.gif
Spacer.gif

Ive always thought the origin of the term was with William Buckley. When he escaped the short-lived 1803 military settlement at Sorrento, he was thought to be in a world of trouble. No one expected him to survive the ravages of the bush and the hostile natives (speaking in my best 19th century colonial). He then rocked up to John Batmans early tent town of Melbourne, having lived 'wild' for 30 years. A truly amazing story.

If you've seen pictures of him, I'm certain he was a Pies man, despite dying about 40 years before our club was founded. Our own Bucks has had it very easy by comparison.

Optomistic: noun . Negative mindset countered by prescribed rose coloured glasses.
Word of the year so far for me.

I started optmistically but after a heavy night on nye its more like misty optically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back