Mega Thread The 2017 'Buckley's Chances' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone noticed that under Buckley we have gone backwards ladder wise every year?

Just noticed this thread & can't believe someone hasn't mentioned this damning factoid.

while I think this argument is the clincher when it comes to sacking Buckley, I don't think we should be too simplistic on this question. There have been a number of solid reasons put up by forum members which are just as relevant. I think that's the thing that buckley supporters continue to ignore. We aren't just saying he should be sacked for just one reason.

For example, the Hird and Voss cant coach and buckley is just like them argument is hard to ignore. Buckley is just like them and they couldn't hack it. I cant see how Buckley can do it. I think most people would agree that Brownlow medal winning club champions just don't make good coaches.

Figjam argument. There's a ton of people who will tell you that Buckley has changed over the years but those of us who have spoken to him for more than a few minutes will tell you that there's something not quite right with Bucks. You see it on TV sometimes when he's confronted with someone asking him an inane question for the umpteenth time, that he loses his patience. He just doesn't suffer low achievers well.

There are other reasons of course and they have been listed over the last few years in this forum. We shouldn't limit ourselves to one reason for his sacking. However, convincing it is, it just part of the multitude of signposts that are showing Buckley the way to the door of the club.

Figjam argument. There's a ton of people who will tell you that Buckley has changed over the years but those of us who have spoken to him for more than a few minutes will tell you that there's something not quite right with Bucks. You see it on TV sometimes when he's confronted with someone asking him an inane question for the umpteenth time, that he loses his patience. He just doesn't suffer low achievers well.

There are other reasons of course and they have been listed over the last few years in this forum. We shouldn't limit ourselves to one reason for his sacking. However, convincing it is, it just part of the multitude of signposts that are showing Buckley the way to the door of the club.
Because the sign of a great coach is one who tolerates underachievers

while I think this argument is the clincher when it comes to sacking Buckley, I don't think we should be too simplistic on this question. There have been a number of solid reasons put up by forum members which are just as relevant. I think that's the thing that buckley supporters continue to ignore. We aren't just saying he should be sacked for just one reason.

For example, the Hird and Voss cant coach and buckley is just like them argument is hard to ignore. Buckley is just like them and they couldn't hack it. I cant see how Buckley can do it. I think most people would agree that Brownlow medal winning club champions just don't make good coaches.
Paul Roos, Ron Barassi, Lee Mathews, Malcolm Blight - all among the best coaches of the modern era, all champions of the AFL. The fact Hird and Vossy failed as coaches more closely reflects the fact that most coaches fail rather than some kind of relationship between being a great player/bad coach.

The argument that being a great player somehow disadvantages you as a coach is mostly nonsense imo

glass-halffull.png
Instant amnesia at the beginning of a new season,wearing these.

upload_2017-1-2_14-59-39.jpeg

Go Bucks.

Yeah I'll have to agree but somehow in my little brain I think he can coach
thats why I said new year, new optimism

Some way I think he is a good coach. When he Talks he seems to know what he is talking about and has a descent Idea of a Gameplan but I think he lack in Motivating Players and Gameplan does not work

So are you saying in 2017 we, on this thread, should take the opportunity to expound on the 'reasons for sacking'? Perhaps before the season starts, you could list the potential reasons and we could tick them off as the season progresses. Maybe even add a poll to the thread, and we could vote on the reasons. It could add an interesting dimension to the thread. Silly me. I just expected it to cover the same old ground as the Bucks megathreads of seasons past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are you saying in 2017 we, on this thread, should take the opportunity to expound on the 'reasons for sacking'? Perhaps before the season starts, you could list the potential reasons and we could tick them off as the season progresses. Maybe even add a poll to the thread, and we could vote on the reasons. It could add an interesting dimension to the thread. Silly me. I just expected it to cover the same old ground as the Bucks megathreads of seasons past.

IF we go the Different Way we have ever since Bucks has been coach

Most logical post on these Sack Buckley threads I have seem in months. It would be an enlightening list and interesting poll

Lovin the way you're reeling them in here Markfs. Bumper catch!

I have some more reasons in support of sacking him. 1. Sacking him might finally heal the rifts caused by his succession and Mick M can come back to the club sausage sizzles. 2. The club has under-performed and there have not been many sackings in response. A good dose of sacking is the tried and tested cure for chronic under-performance. 3. If he gets sacked then we can stop talking about him getting sacked and start talking about sacking Sanderson. 4. Sheedy is available. 5. Did you see his defensive "zone" last year?

Lovin the way you're reeling them in here Markfs. Bumper catch!

I have some more reasons in support of sacking him. 1. Sacking him might finally heal the rifts caused by his succession and Mick M can come back to the club sausage sizzles. 2. The club has under-performed and there have not been many sackings in response. A good dose of sacking is the tried and tested cure for chronic under-performance. 3. If he gets sacked then we can stop talking about him getting sacked and start talking about sacking Sanderson. 4. Sheedy is available. 5. Did you see his defensive "zone" last year?
You are in good form today

To:
(a) adjudicate; and
(b) find guilty; and
(c) execute.

If that doesn't work, then a lynch mob will be assembled forthwith. Onward!

Surely that won't happen until at least round 5...

The simplicity of 2017 for a supporter like me is that if we don't make the finals Bucks will not be coach in 2018. I base this on Nathan setting this as a benchmark, the (failed) recruitment of Allan having all the hallmarks of preparing for change/serious assessment and that if this group can't make finals this year its unlikely they will be gf material without a serious injection of talent.

I don't like finals as a measure of a good coach, ideally there are many indicators that would factor into a judgement on the quality of a coach, but it is the fundamental goal for any team during the home and away season and one that I can at least monitor. A terrible run with injuries or missing finals by a whisker might be the only outcomes to save bucks bar making the eight.

FWIW I think we have a good chance. The list is far from perfect, some holes and real vulnerability (Grundy/Reid or Moore go down to a season long injury) but there is a young core that has been developing reasonably and are about to hit that level of experience when it should come together. Going to be a critical year and I hope for Nathan's sake we have a good first half season to avoid intense media preassure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back