List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The topic still is depth and they were both dropped and unsighted for finals footy. 18 year olds are not depth, we can not have a list of 22 experienced players and 16 players that are 18-20 year olds, that would be insanity. You are clearly wrong, its not even a slight chance you are right, we need a few experienced depth players that can mentor the youth coming through. I am having great difficulty trying to figure out how you don't see this. Perhaps flick through every AFL list and see which list of 38-40 players doesn't have any mature depth players.
He's saying go to the draft instead of trade in some depth. Not trade every player over 20 and take as many picks to the draft as possible. You can see value in some of the discarded options and doona can think they are no better than some of the reserves we already have without either of you being idiots

Maybe consider arguing against whats said and not the making up some bs about 16 under 20s and our 22 ad though anyone is proposing that.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

18 year old players arent depth players, we will face injuries and 18 year olds cant fill the void, hence a few mentoring older players in reserves for depth to call upon if injuries occur is needed.

18 year old draftees can definitely have an immediate impact. Will Hayward did. Tom Papley did. Heeney and Mills did.

That being said, the list of players I gave you included no player who hasn't either already played at AFL level or who has at least been on our list for three seasons. These are all players who are ready for AFL standard football. I could have added Marsh too. Hopefully we can see some more of Darcy Cameron this coming season as well, and I'd be interested to see Maibaum, he may well be the Grundy replacement we are going to need in the next couple of years.

I like most of our list. There are only a couple of players still on it that I'm pretty sure are not cut out for AFL football (Rose and Foote). When you look at who we have lost over the off-season so far, Laidler is the only one who had any sort of senior level impact for us and he plays a role where we have Melican and Alliir, who by the end of the season had both passed him. So I'm really not feeling too much urgency to bring in older players for the sake of it.

I'm probably more interested in going for the Nic Newman/Dean Towers types, guys in their early 20s who didn't get drafted at 18 but have stuck with second tier football and shone, than those who have already been in the system and not made it, though I don't follow the VFL/SANFL/WAFL enough to know if there is any particularly good options when it comes to those types this year.

Will shout out O'Brien again :p
He sounds perfect - fast with a good kick and decision making, but like Ling might be taking him a bit early? I would be happy with either though tbh.
Importantly neither of them seem to have serious injuries which more than half the top ten seem to be carrying into their rookie year.
Then maybe next year go in for the next gen of inside mids - we'll have that covered for the next while with Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Papley, Dawson (so it's said) - so no need this year.

It really depends on the player and position. Hayward/Florent last Year were fresh draftees.....
And we went 0-6 playing them. Florent picking up multiple 2 possession halves - he clearly was not ready - though at times it was our poor kicking that failed to find him in damaging spots, and others we clearly chose other options over him - he hadn't got the trust of our lower tier players who always figured they won't get dropped kicking it to Buddy.

And we went 0-6 playing them. Florent picking up multiple 2 possession halves - he clearly was not ready - though at times it was our poor kicking that failed to find him in damaging spots, and others we clearly chose other options over him - he hadn't got the trust of our lower tier players who always figured they won't get dropped kicking it to Buddy.

Hayward and Florent were not the reason we went 0-6.

I agree that Florent should have been given some more time before being brought in to the seniors, but Hayward had seven games in his debut season in which he scored multiple goals. He wasn't picking up lots of possessions, but he was certainly having an impact with the ones he got.

i don't think collins, much like melican, can take the big key forwards, we need someone to replace grundy and hopefully that will be maibaum.
Yeah we could def use one more really big strong defender on the list - over 195 cms. Collins looks a bit short at 192 - but maybe strong - and would tear the NEAFL up. I don't think anyone would complain if no bigger options present themselves, and I don't know of many other options that are game ready.

I am still baffled that with some of the absolute potatoes Fremantle have on their list, they still find a way to cut Sam Collins. He's easily one of their most promising youngsters and any club would be lucky to have him. I suspect at ours he'd be a depth player and spend more time in the NEAFL given we have Grundy, Sir Dane, Aliir and Melican ahead of him. But I've seen a lot of Collins and this kid can play.

Edit: i'm actually not baffled. It's Ross Lyon and it's Fremantle. They consistently get things wrong.

pick 14 how about Aaron Naughton from WA. KPD playing WAFL seniors. By all reports is a good defender and apparently has a funky kicking style, shoud fit right in./
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...gs-october-rayner-maintains-ranking-dominance

How accurate do these articles end up being? Because i'd be stoked if we got Worpel with pick 14. Seen him play a lot of footy in his juniors. Great kid and he's just a beast at the contest. Imagine a more co-ordinated version of Parker at centre clearances.

I am still baffled that with some of the absolute potatoes Fremantle have on their list, they still find a way to cut Sam Collins. He's easily one of their most promising youngsters and any club would be lucky to have him. I suspect at ours he'd be a depth player and spend more time in the NEAFL given we have Grundy, Sir Dane, Aliir and Melican ahead of him. But I've seen a lot of Collins and this kid can play.

Edit: i'm actually not baffled. It's Ross Lyon and it's Fremantle. They consistently get things wrong.

Last year Collins looked really promising. I’d love a WAFL watcher to give info on him. For mine Collins would be a depth player, but a depth player that had potential to be more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year Collins looked really promising. I’d love a WAFL watcher to give info on him. For mine Collins would be a depth player, but a depth player that had potential to be more.

Several WAFL games later in the year I watched purely to see Collins because I couldn't figure out why in the hell he wouldn't be getting senior games and I am still none the wiser. Very good reader of the play and can be quite diverse as to playing on smalls and talls (not sure who above posted he couldn't take talls - typically doesn't but he still is very capable of doing so) A few Freo folks I know said Logue overtook him as a priority and they rate Logue very highly internally. Still dumb IMO because why choose only one promising defender when you could keep both?

Yeah we could def use one more really big strong defender on the list - over 195 cms. Collins looks a bit short at 192 - but maybe strong - and would tear the NEAFL up. I don't think anyone would complain if no bigger options present themselves, and I don't know of many other options that are game ready.

maybe we will sway sam murray for schade

Several WAFL games later in the year I watched purely to see Collins because I couldn't figure out why in the hell he wouldn't be getting senior games and I am still none the wiser. Very good reader of the play and can be quite diverse as to playing on smalls and talls (not sure who above posted he couldn't take talls - typically doesn't but he still is very capable of doing so) A few Freo folks I know said Logue overtook him as a priority and they rate Logue very highly internally. Still dumb IMO because why choose only one promising defender when you could keep both?

Could be a cheap get to replace Talia/Laidler from the sounds of it. He would definitely fit under our cap. Then go to the draft maybe for another defender.

Could be a cheap get to replace Talia/Laidler from the sounds of it. He would definitely fit under our cap. Then go to the draft maybe for another defender.

Yeah I reckon we'd be crazy not to at least pursuit him. So many of my Freo supporter mates heads exploded when they heard he was delisted so I'd love to snag him just for their reactions :cool:

How accurate do these articles end up being? Because i'd be stoked if we got Worpel with pick 14. Seen him play a lot of footy in his juniors. Great kid and he's just a beast at the contest. Imagine a more co-ordinated version of Parker at centre clearances.
Worpel has really dropped down the predicted draft list. A year ago he was in the top 3 but now some have him as low as a second round pick.

Who would be the players at risk of being pushed out of the AFL squad by a decent draft prospect?

O'Brien could come straight in for Cunningham. Wouldn't lose much physically but is more aggressive and dangerous by foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back