List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I can think of upgrading a rookie is if we can upgrade a rookie to a 1-year minimum based senior contract. This is because there is a minimum contract for ND draftees. So if the reason was a 1-year contract over the base contract I could live with that if, by our last pick in the draft there was no one worth drafting.

All of my assumption is on Reid and Jones staying. If Reid goes we'd have 3 picks inside 40. That is enough live picks in a skinny draft. Add the Melican upgrade, that is 4. That would be us done I would assume.

Then again I wouldn't be against picking say someone like Jonty Scharenberg late as well.

Surely Richmond would match just about any offer. Dont think the coin we would offer would be enough for them to walk away from Dusty. The only way i see it happening would be length of contract but I think it would be silly to be offering him a 7 or 8 year deal.
They will match and we will offer jones and reid...would certainly get job done

I tried to do this on the main board but got laughed out of town. But if Reid was in the open market what would he be worth as a trade. I thought 8-15 but most people were suggesting end of first at best. It's elementary as he's restricted but I'm just curious what your thoughts are.
2nd round all we'll get, tom mitchell was a late 1st rounder.

They will match and we will offer jones and reid...would certainly get job done

Reid is a free agent (restricted) but, if he accepted a contract with a club other than Richmond and we matched, he would just stay at the Swans and we couldn't trade him. His missus wants to stay here, so if we matched a ridiculous $$ offer, why would he go to Richmond? The only way that scenario makes sense is if he wanted to go to Richmond.

ie. If we match, he can choose to accept the offer (He stays), requests a trade, and if a trade fails nominate for the draft. We can't withdraw the offer after matching.

Reid is a free agent (restricted) but, if he accepted a contract with a club other than Richmond and we matched, he would just stay at the Swans and we couldn't trade him. His missus wants to stay here, so if we matched a ridiculous $$ offer, why would he go to Richmond? The only way that scenario makes sense is if he wanted to go to Richmond.

ie. If we match, he can choose to accept the offer (He stays), requests a trade, and if a trade fails nominate for the draft. We can't withdraw the offer after matching.
my post is working on the presumption that jones and reid want to go back to vic

my post is working on the presumption that jones and reid want to go back to vic

But, Reid is a restricted free agent. So if he wanted to go to Melbourne, unless it is Richmond, it is near impossible. He would need to choose Richmond as his destination club, we match their offer and then negotiate a trade for that to happen.

So really your presumption is he wants to go to Richmond????

But, Reid is a restricted free agent. So if he wanted to go to Melbourne, unless it is Richmond, it is near impossible.
obviously a bit of cooperation is required on both fronts ..however, if he is desperate to get to vic but we match his contract, he would really have to go where we told him or he risks staying here for the rest of career or being forced out ala cam mcarthy

obviously a bit of cooperation is required on both fronts ..however, if he is desperate to get to vic but we match his contract, he would really have to go where we told him or he risks staying here for the rest of career or being forced out ala cam mcarthy

If we match his contract so that we can trade him, seeing as his missus is from Sydney, he will stay at the Swans. I don't think he would care if we matched an 800K offer per year for him. Like I said, once we match an offer, we can't retract it if the trade goes pear shape.

This is unless the club he wanted to go to actually wanted to trade for him.

The longer this goes the worse it looks, i mean we are 6 games from finals and not jones or reid have signed. Travis Cloke is the only guy who's stayed after not signing during season that I can think of. Very interesting times ahead.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we match his contract so that we can trade him, seeing as his missus is from Sydney, he will stay at the Swans. I don't think he would care if we matched an 800K offer per year for him. Like I said, once we match an offer, we can't retract it if the trade goes pear shape.

This is unless the club he wanted to go to actually wanted to trade for him.
Then we keep a player we dont want to lose...clubs need to realise they have all the power

These speculations depend on the draft. In the dean towers draft you might say pick 12. Last years draft pick 20.

But for horse I dont reckon there is a high enough pick. He uses him as his fire brigade. Goes forward, goes back, goes into the wing. I dont reckon he is going to find that player at 12-25 unless there really is a tall out there who isnt quite good enough to be a kpf
Funnily enough from what I read about this draft, its that it is chockers full of exactly that player. Noah Balta for instance is looking like a mid teens pick but there are several others Im sure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it jeopardises our ability to retain the likes of Hewett, Naismith, Jones, Reid, Aliir, Lloyd, Newman, or Papley which I suspect it most certainly would. I wouldn't want to take Martin on big money.

If it jeopardises our ability to retain the likes of Hewett, Naismith, Jones, Reid, Aliir, Lloyd, Newman, or Papley which I suspect it most certainly would. I wouldn't want to take Martin on big money.
Agreed, retention of our current 22 and our fringes should be our first priority. We know with our existing squad we can be the best team in the comp. We do not need to make radical changes to our list to ensure sustained success, we already have that through our young mid, young backline and a solid young forward line

Agreed, retention of our current 22 and our fringes should be our first priority. We know with our existing squad we can be the best team in the comp. We do not need to make radical changes to our list to ensure sustained success, we already have that through our young mid, young backline and a solid young forward line
Evidently from our 0-6 start to the season and the fact the likes of Foote and Brandon Jack were able to get senior games, the depth of our list is quite thin as it is and we could have trouble covering inevitable injuries. It's likely that any big money signing would exasperate those issues.

we would only get martin if and when jones and reid leave
If Jones and Reid are being squeezed out due to current salary cap pressures. We wouldn't be getting Martin regardless.

If we are holding a bit off their contracts to clear space for Martin then I'm highly doubtful it would prove an ultimately successful strategy. I don't think getting Martin on at least $1m per year price tag would end at Jones' and Reid's departure. It would subsequently affect our ability to sign Naismith, Aliir, Papley, Lloyd, etc. who come out of contract at the end of 2018.

If Jones and Reid are being squeezed out due to current salary cap pressures. We wouldn't be getting Martin regardless.

If we are holding a bit off their contracts to clear space for Martin then I'm highly doubtful it would prove an ultimately successful strategy. I don't think getting Martin on at least $1m per year price tag would end at Jones' and Reid's departure. It would subsequently affect our ability to sign Naismith, Aliir, Papley, Lloyd, etc. who come out of contract at the end of 2018.
mcveigh and tippett will be likely gone at that point, kennedy may be on a reduced contract, also smith, jack and grundy

If we lose both Reid and Jones we MUST get an impact player back somehow.

I'll be extraordinarily disappointed in the club if we get nothing but a pick or 2 back after trading Tom for cents on the dollar last year.

What did it for me was last week Reid taking a mark 30 metres out, shallow angle and then trying to kick around the corner.

He is Longmires Mr Fixit and can do some great things but in reality I sort of want my key forwards to be able to kick goals that are gimmees as a base requirement.

Still he is well north of 6 foot and that demands a premium.

What did it for me was last week Reid taking a mark 30 metres out, shallow angle and then trying to kick around the corner.

He is Longmires Mr Fixit and can do some great things but in reality I sort of want my key forwards to be able to kick goals that are gimmees as a base requirement.

Still he is well north of 6 foot and that demands a premium.
Yes!
Exactly. I was watching with my brother & said to him, if he kicks this keep him, if he misses, let him go.
Then he stated setting up for the Stevie J kick around the corner when on a 45 degree angle & we looked at each other & both said let him go!
Seriously bad & not worth more than 450K if you can't walk in straight & kick it with a drop punt.

Come on Sammy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back