List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I the only one thinking we won't have much movement in the off-season?

Assuming McVeigh and Johnson get another year and Jones/Waite re-sign, there aren't many players out of contract. Leonardis can go, Brandon Jack has had his papers marked, and Michael Talia looks to be in a world of trouble, which is disappointing as I thought he showed a bit. If they are the only three to move on, and Melican has already been upgraded, so we would only take a couple of national draft picks. Then the usual rookie re-shuffle

Am I the only one thinking we won't have much movement in the off-season?

Assuming McVeigh and Johnson get another year and Jones/Waite re-sign, there aren't many players out of contract. Leonardis can go, Brandon Jack has had his papers marked, and Michael Talia looks to be in a world of trouble, which is disappointing as I thought he showed a bit. If they are the only three to move on, and Melican has already been upgraded, so we would only take a couple of national draft picks. Then the usual rookie re-shuffle

I could see fringe players like a Rose/Foote getting traded for some insignificant pick if they request to be traded for more opportunity. That is a big IF though and both are contracted arent they?

But I think that you are on the money regarding Leonardis/Jack & Talia and minimal movement.

SMFC1

Debutant
May 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy to give him whatever he wants, he's worth it.

Yeah I can see how it may work if Jack, McVeigh and Tippett go. Dusty would be an absolute weapon for us. Imagine being down late in the last quarter of a game and bombing it into a two man forward line with Martin and Franklin to win the game. See how it pans out though I guess.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/25/the-sleeping-giants-in-dusty-chase/

Talks of Dusty showing interest in both Sydney teams coming from Tim Watson on SEN

Can't see it happening. Would have to successfully offload Tippett (Unlikely given his wages), Trade off Reid and Jones and force either McVeigh or Jack into retirement.

I can see McVeigh retiring, Jack I think still has another year or two.

We also have Franklin and Heeney (Potentially Mills, Hanners and Kennedy) on large contracts.

Would be fantastic to see happen but I think this is unlikely.

I'd like to see us sign Martin just to watch the rest of the footballing landscape explode again.

Just imagine how pleasant Eddie will be haha!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Watson's source on this is prob just BF.

I sensed a lot of 'it's the vibe' about his Sydney connection.

Plus he threw in Tippo and Jack who have both extended their contracts as possibly leaving. So I suspect he's just having a thought bubble.

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
THE SLEEPING GIANTS IN DUSTY CHASE

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/25/the-sleeping-giants-in-dusty-chase/

Tim Watson... “There is someone up there that might suit him and his personality. Money is always the attraction. Both those Sydney teams are on the cusp of success.”

While the Swans have historically been low on salary cap space, due to big money deals to the likes of Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett, former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon suggested a way how the Swans could fit Martin into their salary cap.

“Tippet goes, Kieren Jack retires, Jarrad McVeigh retires,” he said.

“Midfield spots and wages open up. The teams you don’t hear about in these discussions are the ones you fear.”

Interesting possibility but can't see it happening to the Swans. The headline is Giants but the story talks more of us than them.

Nailed it

IMG_4408.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back