The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts is clearly the best small forward at this point. The Sloane and Laird selections can be fairly easily justified.

Talia is probably doing as well as any KPD, but is not a massive stand out.

Walker selection is probably showing Crows bias. Walker is 5th in terms of goals kicked by KPFs. He has the best accuracy and is 3rd in terms of average goals per game by KPFs.

Of course the role of forward is slightly broader than merely goals kicked. If you are rating Walker in that manner, or any KPF for that matter, then you are probably doing him a disservice.

A number of KPF are having great seasons and each one goes about it in a different manner. Using SC points as a proxy for output - not ideal but sufficient for this purpose - we end up with the following ranking.

1. N Riewoldt 121 pts
2. Walker 114.7 pts
3. Kennedy 108.0 pts
4. Hawkins 101.0 pts
5. Lynch 99.8 pts
6. Cameron 96.0 pts
7. Franklin 94.8 pts

With the distinction between FF and CHF less than it has ever been, selectors are ultimately tasked with picking two or three of these players. The biggest argument against Walker in a rolling AA team right now is that he has only played three games, which in this scenario means that he has missed one-quarter of the season. But based purely on average output he is more than deserving of a place in anyone's rolling AA and including him in no way constitutes Crows bias.

Yes?
Averaging 4.2 more disposals, 3.7 more marks (1.5 more contested), same frees for but 0.8 less against, 1 goal assist to 0. Mcgovern made a couple of errors early against richmond but had a good 2nd half and was elite in round 1, 2 and 4. In no universe has Rance had a better season this year.
Oh i'm not debating him vs Rance, because I wouldn't pick Rance, I meant in general.

Riewoldt needs a spot on a wing or CHF, was robbed of a spot last year hope they don't hold his age against him two years running.

i see people have Yeo and three other talls in the side already but if yeo does end up being an All Australian, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets named as the third tall (cause thats what he plays for us) so they could either fit in another flanker or go with their previous trends of fitting a mid on a back flank.

I know he hasn't paid his dues and he's 19 with less than 20 games under his belt, but purely on form in 2017 Oliver deserves a gig.

He's polled votes from both his own coach and the opposition's coach in 3 of 4 games and is currently in the top 7 on 20 votes.

And he's top 10 in the league for total disposals, clearances, centre clearances, contested possessions, tackles, and AFL rankings points.

The only other player top 10 in the league in all of these categories is Tom Rockliff.

After 4 Rounds revised:

B: S Docherty, A Rance, J McGovern
HB: E Yeo, P Davis, D Roberton
C: N Riewoldt, T Rockliff, M Murphy
HF: D Martin, T Walker, T Greene
F: E Betts, T Hawkins, R Gray
R: S Martin, R Sloane, P Dangerfield
I/C: L Franklin, M Bontempelli , L Shuey, R Laird

Last edited:
Rance had a limited preseason because of hamstring tendonitis. He is starting to hit his straps now but started very poorly by his standards.

I don't mind if we dont have a single AA at years end.

In fact I am stoked we are winning without dominant displays from our big guns every week.

Think most people in here have their teams about right, natural bias accounted for.

After 4 Rounds:

C: N Riewoldt, D Martin, M Murphy
I/C: L Franklin, T Rockliff, L Shuey, R Laird

I wish we had two Dustys.

Cotch goes ok despite consensus thinking. ;)

I wish we had two Dustys.

Cotch goes ok despite consensus thinking. ;)
one for you one for us? ;)

i moved him into the HFF this week after a slow week

After 4 Rounds revised:

C: N Riewoldt, T Rockliff, M Murphy
I/C: L Franklin, M Bontempelli , L Shuey, R Laird
Robbie Gray?? He's had 1 very good game, 1 above average and 2 forgettable ones.

Take him out and put Daniel Menzel in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people talk up Bontempelli from the Bulldogs the most. But I think Dahlhaus deserves to be a smokey for a spot if he keeps his current form. Been the Dogs best and most consistent player so far this season, and always in the thick of the action. Always a tad underrated because he doesn't have that flair some of the bigger named players have that get them AA spots even when they had an average year

Merrett ahead of Murphy...averaging a heck of lot of footy.

Murphy's had more impact. More contested ball, higher tackle numbers, more goals, more clearances and more inside 50's. Merrett averages one more effective disposal.

Murphy's ahead to this point.

It's weird that everyone has missed Adam Saad. I mean yeah he's not a defensive stopper, He doesn't rack up 30 touches but in both GC's wins and against brisbane he was the main reason GC were able to set up and move the ball towards the forwards so easily. He copped a pretty hard tag in the Carlton game where the high forwards were checking him at every opportunity trying to deny GC to get the rebound through him but he worked into the game nicely, and surprise surprise GC pulled away at that point

Im not expecting him to feature right now because we have this huge change of guard and the top 3 teams will get 6 players across the board because "Good player in good team" if Saad keeps it up people wont be ignoring him anymore

It's weird that everyone has missed Adam Saad. I mean yeah he's not a defensive stopper, He doesn't rack up 30 touches but in both GC's wins and against brisbane he was the main reason GC were able to set up and move the ball towards the forwards so easily. He copped a pretty hard tag in the Carlton game where the high forwards were checking him at every opportunity trying to deny GC to get the rebound through him but he worked into the game nicely, and surprise surprise GC pulled away at that point

Im not expecting him to feature right now because we have this huge change of guard and the top 3 teams will get 6 players across the board because "Good player in good team" if Saad keeps it up people wont be ignoring him anymore
Ehh, he's maybe in the squad but the backs are more set too.

Also Oliver Oliver Oliver.

In 2013 his back was completely f******. Last year wasn't up to the elite standard. Had his moments though but was continually triple teamed with zero support. Its amazing how having some support helps the best forwards in the game.
What support does Buddy have? Still gets the job done.

I can't remember the details of the stat but from memory he's generally always had good numbers in the score involvement category.

The guy has 403 goals and is still 28.

Even forgetting the other things he does - and he is amazingly guilty of trying to kick to guys in better positions - he is on track to finish with a career number that is only likely to be beaten by Franklin, Riewoldt and Kennedy of his main contemporaries. That's a strong effort.

Walker will knock him off.

FB: R.Laird D.Talia C.Salem
HB: S.Docherty J.McGovern E.Yeo
C: A.Gaff Rockliff M.Murphy
HF: D.Martin J.Cameron M.Bontempelli
FF: E.Betts T.Hawkins D.Menzel
R: S.Martin, P.Dangerfield, R.Sloane
I/C: B.Grundy, N.Reiwoldt, J.Selwood, T.Rockliff, S.Pendlebury

FF: A four horse race with Tex, Lynch, Hawkins, and Kennedy.
CHF: Feel like Reiwoldt, Buddy and Cameron are fighting for it. Buddy dropped down a bit this week
Small forward: Betts by a landslide then Materia and Green
Medium forwards: Menzel comfortably ahead of Le Cras with not much competition. Could be replaced by a KPF.
Mid/Forwards: Dusty and Bont playing forward a bit more than Danger get the nod

Outside: Gaff and Murphy standout for high uncontested numbers and good ball use. Merrett and Adams unlucky
Inside: Danger, Rocky and Sloane top in terms of clearances and contested possessions. Selwood and Pendles best all round of the rest, Treloar the snub but couldn't find a place.
Ruck: Martin by a margin followed by Grundy, these two miles ahead

CHB: McGovern dominating intercept marks again, hard to assess KPD's this early though
Small/Medium defense: Laird and Docherty stand out for rebound, Yeo and Salem fighting it out with a few, Montagna probably closest.
FB: None particularly stand out, Talia probably the best of them but again hard to asses KPD's this early.

Roberton miles in front of Montagna

B: R Laird, D Talia, J McGovern
HB: E Yeo, P Davis, S Docherty
C: Z Merrett, T Rockliff, M Murphy
F: E Betts, T Hawkins, J Kennedy
R: B Grundy, R Sloane, P Dangerfield
I/C: S Pendlebury, O Wines, L Shuey, S Martin

Fair bit of Crows bias in there, but

Yes trickles in at a more subtle level, too, with Davis & Dangerfield. Not that for one minute Dangerfield goes close to missing. Would personally need to see a bit more of Davis to put him in AA territory.

All that said though, if a club is playing the sort of footy Adelaide is, it'll have a lot of hot individual players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back