The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got to say I'm sick of the victorian bias with them not selecting Talia.

When will the AFL admit this is a national comp.

Unlike Dick Van Patten, 8 is not enough for you?

Sloane, Lever and Walker could easily come out for Talia.

Ben mcevoy robbed.

Easily deserved to be in the top 40. Was huge this year. Outside of total hitouts, his numbers were fantastic.

Only 2 Tigers in the 40 despite finishing 3rd and only one game off top spot......

Only 2 Swans and 2 Cats as well. Looks like they used all their picks on Adelaide for finishing first, then threw scraps to all the other teams.

If they picked alot of players that have missed games then why not Beams? Not including his injured game he has kicked 20 goals and averaged 28.4 from 18 games with arguably half a dozen games where he was best on. All in a team that won the wooden spoon.

Toby Greene got in on 16 games.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
where would shaun grigg fit onto the All Australian selection? I mean he's such an unbelievable player you could put him just about anywhere. Personally I would probably have him somewhere at half foward line.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Best defender in the second best defence in Tom Jonas = well deserved nomination. Have at me.

Would have had Talia over Lever, but I sometimes wonder if they're going for an actual functioning team so it was Talia vs Rance? Really not sure.
Dane Rampe has had a fantastic season and would have loved to have seen a nomination for him. Really glad to see the Garlett/Jetta combo in as well. Both had very, very good seasons.

8 players for one club looks like a lot, but for the squad of 40 none of them look like they don't belong. T Walker is #1 for goal assists which IMHO is an underrated stat.

I could be tripping balls here (probably) but I've preferred Duncan over Selwood for Geelong. I think this is purely anecdotal though.

Oddly enough I think Richmond's lack of nominations is reasonable, but I think that their spread of quality over the 22 is quite high now, which is completely different to the past few seasons where it fell off a ******* cliff when you got to their 10th player. It doesn't have to be: but this squad of 40 isn't indicative of the quality of Richmond's list.

I had 0 respect for Richmond and their game style from 2013 - 2016 but they now tackle hard, they work as a team, have a team first defence and no longer rely on a few key players. I really rate them now. I think as a club they've learnt *loads from their past few seasons. Would really love to see them win the entire thing.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Dees selections are most perplexing.

Would've thought Oliver comfortably over Treloar or Scully and Fantasia or Papley comfortably over Garlett.

They are a little unusual.

I might be showing a little Bomber bias but I'd have Fantasia and McDonald-Tipungwuti as the fourth and fifth best performed small forwards in the league this season. Both would be ahead of Garlett.

But rather than have either of those two Bombers in the squad (Fantasia would have been worthy before he injured himself) they should have just given the spot to Oliver. There was no need to select another small forward in the squad.

Scully's selection is also a bit perflexing. For all the talk about his remarkable fitness the reality is that he averages 23 touches a game. Maybe they decided they needed a set number of outside midfielders but it's fair to say there have been a lot of midfielders ahead of Scully this year.

Surely you cant be unhappy with the squad????

I can when there are injustices like this happening in the league.

Talia and Lever have been ordinary? :huh:

This one is an excellent judge of performance.

David Mackay robbed yet again

True. He had a career year and no wingers selected.

It should have been 10.

If you don't rate Oliver you're not good at football.

He's no. 1 in the league for ground ball gets, no. 1 for loose ball gets; no. 2 for hard ball gets, 2 for contested possessions behind Dangerfield; 4 for tackles; 2 for stoppage clearances; 5 for total clearances; 5 for total disposals; top 10 in the coaches awards at the end of round 21, PLUS he's just had the most handballs in a season ever.

He'll obviously round out his game by kicking more goals and kicking more in general play (he's a very good kick), but he was definitely worthy of the squad and is an exceptional talent having played 3/4s of the season as a teenager.

He's an excellent kick as evident by all his handballs.

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
I can when there are injustices like this happening in the league.

This one is an excellent judge of performance.

True. He had a career year and no wingers selected.

It should have been 10.

He's an excellent kick as evident by all his handballs.

Who does Talia come in at the expense of? Jonas maybe. I'd say Hurls & Rance are the locks anyway.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
As many Vics as possible as well as the interstate favs like Buddy, Betts, Walker, Gray, JPK etc.

West Coast and the other non-Victorian teams have fared very well in this and other AFL awards, thank you.

H&A wins per AA selection, 1991-2016:

Club|W|Reps|W/Rep
\Ge|369.5|60|6.16
\St|281|44|6.39
\Ad|305.5|47|6.50
\WC|327.5|49|6.68
\GC|34.5|5|6.90
\Ca|264.5|38|6.96
\Sy|305|42|7.26
\WB|287|37|7.76
\Co|301|36|8.36
\Ha|322.5|38|8.49
\GWS|36|4|9.00
\PA|225.5|24|9.40
\Br|250|26|9.62
\Es|298.5|29|10.29
\Fi|31|3|10.33
\Ri|246|21|11.71
\Fr|218.5|18|12.14
\NM|314.5|25|12.58
\Me|219|16|13.69
Club|W|Reps|W/Rep
\Victorian|2934.5|347|8.46
\non-Victorian|1702.5|215|7.92

Lol at these interstate sooks saying the selectors only care about victorian teams when the interstate teams have more players selected

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
The hysteria surrounding Treloar on BF is getting a little embarrassing.

He is a very good footballer and, whether he is AA or not, half his games were not 'borderline spudtier'.
A lot of angry SuperCoach players I suspect. Treloar although not deserving of being part of the squad, still had another terrific year, whilst carrying an injury for most of it.

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
The other 7 are all fair enough (Lynch is arguably our most important player) but Lever is a head-scratcher. Reckon there were plenty of other defenders more deserving. Hell, even a couple of Crows defenders were probably better. Jonas had a good year, maybe not best 22 but can see the spot in the 40 man squad.

Ruck was always gonna be tough. Can't have more than 3 in the squad realistically and very little between Jacobs, Grundy, McEvoy, Kruezer and Ryder.

Bit surprised by Bont, Scully and Selwood. Reckon I'd have gone Oliver, Duncan and Beams, maybe Cotchin or Gibbs.
Seb Ross had a great year, pleaded he made the squad.

Forwards were largely perfect. Not sure on Garlett but can't say off the top of my head who else I would have picked. Fantasia maybe?

Anyway, never gonna please everyone. Reckon the best 22 are in the squad at least so hopefully they make the right calls from here.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
FB: Laird Rance Jetta
HB: Docherty Hurley Hibberd
C: Merrett Martin Kelly
HF: Gray Franklin Zorko
F: Betts Kennedy (c) Daniher

R: Ryder Dangerfield Mitchell

I: Howe Yeo M. Crouch Sloane

E: Kreuzer Walker Selwood

Other 15: McGovern Roberton Jonas Lever Treloar Ross Scully Shiel Kennedy Bontempelli Garlett Greene Lynch Brown Jacobs

Lolbert

Team Captain
May 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
There is plenty of Vic bias around the place but can't see it at all with this squad. The robbed players this year are in Victoria. The selection shows player bias more than everything. Bont, Selwood etc. Selected on reputation rather than anything else

2notepockets

All Australian
Aug 3, 2005
-
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
my team from the squad:

B: Laird Rance Jetta
HB: McGovern (VC) Hurley Docherty
C: Zorko Titchell Sloane (C)