The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick announced he wanted to leave the club in the week leading up to a final and used the saga as a reason when it was more related to his inability to control his urges and an ultimatum he got from Mrs Ryder. Most of us got pissed off at the bullshit reasons he hid behind (saga/wife's family) when really many of us knew the truth.

Wines/Wingard etc were never realistic and we all knew that but absolutely we wanted more, GWS had pick 4 on the table and your complete arsehat of a president was carrying on like it was your god given right to get him on the cheap, same way he made a knob of himself with the Shanghai thing without considering the AO contract and then subsequently the colours of the only team the AFL could force into giving you one of their home games.

In any case, it is what it is. He's now the AA ruckman and we've got Kyle Langford who'll hopefully develop into a good player in time.

You're welcome to start a poll with other clubs on whose offer was fairer our 1st - 1st/2nd, or your Wines/ Wingard/ 1st plus player? Who do you think comes off better as club President, Kochie or Little? Even if your lies were true, had it not been for the ASADA mess you would have been in the box seat exactly like Carlton was with Adelaide last year. The public expected Ryder to go where he wanted because Essendon wronged him, not the other way around. We offered a fair price that was tempered by the fact that he had a suspension hanging over his head. The fact that you could do better didn't matter, again because Essendon ****ed up. None of the usual factors mattered because Essendon ****ed up. That is on you, that is not a Port problem. When you actually finally get it through your thick skulls you will be all the better for it.

You're welcome to start a poll with other clubs on whose offer was fairer our 1st - 1st/2nd, or your Wines/ Wingard/ 1st plus player? Who do you think comes off better as club President, Kochie or Little? Even if your lies were true, had it not been for the ASADA mess you would have been in the box seat exactly like Carlton was with Adelaide last year. The public expected Ryder to go where he wanted because Essendon wronged him, not the other way around. We offered a fair price that was tempered by the fact that he had a suspension hanging over his head. The fact that you could do better didn't matter, again because Essendon ****** up. None of the usual factors mattered because Essendon ****** up. That is on you, that is not a Port problem. When you actually finally get it through your thick skulls you will be all the better for it.
I'm well aware my club made mistakes, I am however intrigued at what my lies are. Can you enlighten me?

People knew Ryder had potential, but literally no one in the AFL community predicted he would ever be AA quality.

Regardless of the fairness of the trade this point is just flat out untrue. Heaps at Essendon knew he was in the top handful of rucks in the game and many predicted AA for him especially in 2014, where he put up nearly identical possession numbers to this year.

No where does it state that a club captain has to be AA captain.

Selwood is a great leader and a tough player, but should be nowhere near the squad let alone the team this year.

Captain on the interchange? Really?
Bruce Monteath was your Captain and started on the bench in a GF.

Regardless of the fairness of the trade this point is just flat out untrue. Heaps at Essendon knew he was in the top handful of rucks in the game and many predicted AA for him especially in 2014, where he put up nearly identical possession numbers to this year.

Unless we are watching different media, that is just not true. Everyone rates their own, but I never heard anything like that kind of praise outside of Essendon. At the time there would have been Goldstein, Sandilands, Jacobs, and Natanui clearly in front, with another 4 or 5 more or less level with him (even Lobbe rucked well against him that year). He was dead middle in the AFL at the time. Everyone knew he was highly skilled, but he had the rep of being a bit lazy, and he certainly didn't compete with the top rucks for overall hitouts. He was a good AFL std ruckman, and we paid a price that reflected he was a good AFL std ruckman, I would argue that the price we paid was fair even without the ASADA suspension, making it more than fair in the end. This is the reality, and I am bored of hearing from Essendon supporters how we picked their pockets or whatever victim fantasy they have going at any particular time.

Unless we are watching different media, that is just not true. Everyone rates their own, but I never heard anything like that kind of praise outside of Essendon. At the time there would have been Goldstein, Sandilands, Jacobs, and Natanui clearly in front, with another 4 or 5 more or less level with him (even Lobbe rucked well against him that year). He was dead middle in the AFL at the time. Everyone knew he was highly skilled, but he had the rep of being a bit lazy, and he certainly didn't compete with the top rucks for overall hitouts. He was a good AFL std ruckman, and we paid a price that reflected he was a good AFL std ruckman, I would argue that the price we paid was fair even without the ASADA suspension, making it more than fair in the end. This is the reality, and I am bored of hearing from Essendon supporters how we picked their pockets or whatever victim fantasy they have going at any particular time.

You're massively underrating Ryder's pre Port career.

I have no issue with the AA Captain being an additional acknowledgment of a multi time AA player.

I don't really think it has to be a club captain - that's a bit limiting.

It should become something of a nod for a deserving guy who has been at the top level of the game for a good amount of time.

They gave it to Darren Glass a few years back - admittedly a club captain at the time - always very low profile compared to some of his peers, but 4 times AA and clearly a nice nod for him then.

I don't think it needs to be a club captain either. It's not uncommon for club captains to be guys who probably won't ever make AA sides. Hurn with us, Geary with St Kilda currently. And Selwood is the only club captain who made the side and he only made the bench.

I would've given it to Martin, Zorko or Danger on 2017 performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back