thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
this isn't the rising star thread.

i mean i know it's the AA thread and everyone deserves a mention, but none these guys are close to a mention

There was a discussion involving the three and I commented on it, and I have every right too.

Trod along.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Imagine 4 if Daniher & Fanta get in.
Let us not forget who picks this side and their infantile obsession with their faves.

Sadly so true. AA team makes me sad every year because of the favoritism. I understand its a subjective team, and that great players will miss out because of the positions they play.

There should be more voters so as to dilute the bias.

And I understand that the AA selectors meet as a match committee. The selectors who used to be forwards get to have a sway on the forwards get selected. The selectors who used to be backman have the say on the backs. So the bias year after years is magnified with the same voices at the comittee having sway.

Sadly so true. AA team makes me sad every year because of the favoritism. I understand its a subjective team, and that great players will miss out because of the positions they play.

There should be more voters so as to dilute the bias.

And I understand that the AA selectors meet as a match committee. The selectors who used to be forwards get to have a sway on the forwards get selected. The selectors who used to be backman have the say on the backs. So the bias year after years is magnified with the same voices at the comittee having sway.
and somehow Luke Darcy always forces in his captains pick

So how many weeks of 30+ does Duncan need to be in contention for a spot on the wing. 29 disposals game and 6/10 over 30. For all the talk of Dangerwood he's been super, very consistent too.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
So how many weeks of 30+ does Duncan need to be in contention for a spot on the wing. 29 disposals game and 6/10 over 30. For all the talk of Dangerwood he's been super, very consistent too.
He's one of the most underrated players in the comp but I don't think his touches hurt the opposition as much as rival midfielders do who are also in the running for spots, similar to why I wouldn't have Taylor Adams in the team despite being statistically brilliant. It's good to see he's finally becoming a consistent footballer, and he's an extremely handy third mid.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
B: Jeremy Howe, Alex Rance, Elliott Yeo
HB: Sam Docherty, Michael Hurley, Rory Laird
C: Marcus Bontempelli, Rory Sloane, Marc Murphy
HF: Dustin Martin, Josh J. Kennedy, Gary Ablett Jr
F: Eddie Betts, Lance Franklin, Jeremy Cameron
R: Sam Jacobs, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood (Captain)
I: Dylan Roberton, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Kelly, Zach Merrett

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Has the Bont had an AA year so far? I doubt he would be in the top two of the BNF at the dogies.

Selwood and Pendlebury will get in because they are favorites. Selwood was very lucky last year.... he had a patchy season.

Pendles played a good game last week as Buck said, but he hasnt set the world on fire this year.

Bucks, in his tweet about Mitchell this week, didnt mention the last 10 + games when the Collingwood midfield didnt help Collingwood win the games against Hawthorn. Where have they been? The Hawks have never tagged Pendlebury. He needs to put a lot more good games together to make AA this year.

I didnt think J Kennedy had AA form.

I agree with Hurley.

I dont think Selwood is second follower. On the fringes of the bench for me. He had a few good last quarters this year to boost his rep - champion.

Howe has been a gun since he moved to the Pies. I wonder if he will improve your team in the forward 50.

I think this year there have been few standout players. So far there has been lots of inconsistency. So I would find it hard to pick a 22.... your guess is as good as mine.

Bomberblitzer

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2013
The Boiler Room
AFL Club
Essendon
I really like the team except for a few gripes. Franklin is not a full forward; I'd have Kennedy at FF and Franklin or Daniher at CHF (bias acknowledged). Also not sure if you can have both Martin and GAJ as forward flankers when neither of them really play that role. Greene or Gray would be good options there, or even Fantasia who has been excellent with 22 goals and second overall in goal assists.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Has the Bont had an AA year so far? I doubt he would be in the top two of the BNF at the dogies.

Selwood and Pendlebury will get in because they are favorites. Selwood was very lucky last year.... he had a patchy season.

Pendles played a good game last week as Buck said, but he hasnt set the world on fire this year.

Bucks, in his tweet about Mitchell this week, didnt mention the last 10 + games when the Collingwood midfield didnt help Collingwood win the games against Hawthorn. Where have they been? The Hawks have never tagged Pendlebury. He needs to put a lot more good games together to make AA this year.

I didnt think J Kennedy had AA form.

I agree with Hurley.

I dont think Selwood is second follower. On the fringes of the bench for me. He had a few good last quarters this year to boost his rep - champion.

Howe has been a gun since he moved to the Pies. I wonder if he will improve your team in the forward 50.

I think this year there have been few standout players. So far there has been lots of inconsistency. So I would find it hard to pick a 22.... your guess is as good as mine.
Bontempelli has broken open every single game so far, or most of them at the least. He's been a little inconsistent in between games during quarters though so he's debatable.

Pendlebury has had 3x best on ground performances so far this year, and many top 10 performances. I think he'd be a fair nom for AA but he's missed out the last two times so my hopes aren't high. Selwood has been magnificent and a top three midfielder in 2017 in my opinion, with Danger and Sloane. A no-brainer, his 2016 spot was justified also. Kennedy is an interesting one, I think he currently deserves a spot on current form. I don't see how Hawkins, Riewoldt or Daniher displace him. Franklin would be the one I'd perhaps switch out instead of Kennedy.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I really like the team except for a few gripes. Franklin is not a full forward; I'd have Kennedy at FF and Franklin or Daniher at CHF (bias acknowledged). Also not sure if you can have both Martin and GAJ as forward flankers when neither of them really play that role. Greene or Gray would be good options there, or even Fantasia who has been excellent with 22 goals and second overall in goal assists.
Fair enough - the forward line is extremely tough to pick as I don't think there's been any standout players but for Betts who is comfortably a forward pocket choice. Greene and Gray have been good but not consistent in comparison to other AA players so I don't like picking them on a forward flank.

Watson_my_mind

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
C: Zach Merrett, Joel Selwood (C), Josh Kelly
F: Eddie Betts, Jeremy Cameron, Joe Daniher
R: Aaron Sandilands, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
I: Clayton Oliver, Seb Ross, Scott Pendlebury, Lachie Neale

Yes I have 3 Dons, but I truly believe Hurley is a top 3 backman, Merrett a top 7 midfielder and Daniher a top 3 KPF right now.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
C: Zach Merrett, Joel Selwood (C), Josh Kelly
F: Eddie Betts, Jeremy Cameron, Joe Daniher
R: Aaron Sandilands, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
I: Clayton Oliver, Seb Ross, Scott Pendlebury, Lachie Neale

Yes I have 3 Dons, but I truly believe Hurley is a top 3 backman, Merrett a top 7 midfielder and Daniher a top 3 KPF right now.
I don't like Essendon, and i don't believe they all deserve to be in the team, but will concede that it's a valid view point to think that they might, essendon supporter or not.

Watson_my_mind

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't like Essendon, and i don't believe they all deserve to be in the team, but will concede that it's a valid view point to think that they might, essendon supporter or not.

Daniher the one I'm most iffy about. But if he collects the Dreamtime (Yookien?) award for BOG this weekend (especially on Rance) then its hard to argue against his inclusion. Hawkins and Buddy down his throat, both have kicked more goals.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Last night a classic example of the media pumping tyres.
Indigenous Rnd and the commentators obviously stuck their heads together before a ball is bounced and decided to exaggerate Ryder's season and pump up his tyres.
The bloke was notable for how ordinary he was. Yet we get told "he's played some sort of game" from Bwuce, and another saying "he's been superb tonight".
Even just a "good" ruckman could have imposed himself on that game (and against Zac Smith), and possibly changed the result last night. Instead, Ryder looked largely disintested in being that guy despite a week off freshening up.
Far better options out there for AA ruck. Race is tightening...early on it was Martin and he's still going along nicely, but others have all closed the gap and now it is a week to week proposition for the ruck slot.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Fantasia should be in the discussion also, if they were to pick 3 genuine small forwards Betts would be first picked, Greene would be second and Gray and Fantasia would be neck and neck for the third spot.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Indigenous Rnd and the commentators obviously stuck their heads together before a ball is bounced and decided to exaggerate Ryder's season and pump up his tyres.
The bloke was notable for how ordinary he was. Yet we get told "he's played some sort of game" from Bwuce, and another saying "he's been superb tonight".
Even just a "good" ruckman could have imposed himself on that game (and against Zac Smith), and possibly changed the result last night. Instead, Ryder looked largely disintested in being that guy despite a week off freshening up.
Far better options out there for AA ruck. Race is tightening...early on it was Martin and he's still going along nicely, but others have all closed the gap and now it is a week to week proposition for the ruck slot.

He had a down night, but Ryder has had a great season to date and had a massive last three weeks. He's prone to blocks of games where he looks disinterested as he did last night, but he's been in the top three rucks this season so far.

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Not going to comment, on Ryders game specficially, because i didn't see much of last nights game, but what i have seen of this season so far he's in contention for AA spot.

That's primarily a function of the fact that the ruck race is wide open because no one is putting in a season equivalent to Gawn 2016, Goldy 2015, Sandi 2014, Nic Nat 2012 type levels (and in some of those season there were a couple of others at a higher level than anyone this year).

This ruck race has a 2013 feel to it, when we ended up with Will Minson....

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
All the Carlton posters talking about how Kruezer is invaluable for his bollocking work around the ground, his contested possession rate, his clearances, and his tackles, and his goals must really really love Nic Nat who can actually win a ruck tap to advantage as well.

Back