The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Christ the exact post that you're quoting states that the position isn't purely based on goals. Joe beats Kennedy on almost every other stat, convincingly.

View attachment 403285

Um, you do realise those totals will of course be much higher because Daniher has played 33% more games than Kennedy, yeah?

Um, you do realise those totals will of course be much higher because Daniher has played 33% more games than Kennedy, yeah?
Given an All Australian team is based on the whole year, shouldn't totals be more relevant than averages?

Given an All Australian team is based on the whole year, shouldn't totals be more relevant than averages?

Ablett got AA recently after missing a whole bunch of games.

In the end if the games you do play are that outstanding compared to your rivals for the position, it makes up for the missed games in the eyes of selectors.

I don't see how Kennedy could miss at this point, to miss that many games and still be leading the coleman is a pretty crazy result. Ok sure it helps he's the main target in a less diverse forward line but he's literally carrying the whole side since he's come back in. I love Daniher and prior to Kennedy dominating he'd have been a lock. Surely they could consider putting them both in anyway? Franklin shouldn't be a walk up start this year.

AA team is about totals for the season not averages..

so if you miss games you're up against it. That's why it's bs when someone plays 17 games and makes the team.

at least in my opinion.

This one is a little bit old so it would be interesting to see how it reads a few rounds later with Daniher and Kennedy both staking a big claim...
impact.JPG
I would think the scoreboard impact is just as important as total goals kicked especially when picking the 2nd and 3rd type forward players. Robbie Gray would have to be close to a lock for me, if he kicked more accurately he'd probably be ahead of Betts on total goals kicked as well.

so if you miss games you're up against it. That's why it's bs when someone plays 17 games and makes the team.

at least in my opinion.
Should be averages if the player misses up to 5 games imo. Too harsh on players who miss through injuries. 17 games is a very big sample size anyway.

That's why Kennedy should be FF without question imo.

The EXACT series of quotes you've decided to reply ALREADY ANSWERS THIS.
YOU REALISE THE AA IS SELECTED ON THE BASIS OF TOTALS, NOT AVERAGES RIGHT?

Question to bigfooty: Is the west coast fanbase just one large parody account or are they all this thick? Circular discussions where they can't reason with logic?

Actually I just found an updated table on the scoreboard impact stuff prior to this week on an article about Taylor Walker. Kind of backs up what I was saying about Robbie Gray above(also playing a great match right now). Makes a reasonable case for Taylor Walker himself to be put in the squad (maybe not the final cut) though I won't strongly advocate for that one since I'm Crows fan and got a level of bias given how much I see him play vs some of the others.
scoreboard.JPG
for the Daniher and Kennedy argument in here it has them pretty close as their goal tallies are. Both great players, both worthy.

Kennedy has kicked MORE goals than Daniher in FEWER games.

If he had 80 goals in 20 games instead of 60 in 15 would he suddenly be in the mix?

at least in my opinion.

Gary Ablett kicked 124 goals in 1993, in 17 games. I really wish the AA selectors had left him out for someone that had played a full season.

Kennedy has kicked MORE goals than Daniher in FEWER games.

If he had 80 goals in 20 games instead of 60 in 15 would he suddenly be in the mix?

Gary Ablett kicked 124 goals in 1993, in 17 games. I really wish the AA selectors had left him out for someone that had played a full season.

Think you missed my point. If Kennedy had played 20 of course he'd be in the mix.

totals > averages for AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you missed my point. If Kennedy had played 20 of course he'd be in the mix.

totals > averages for AA.

Righto.

So does the fact that he has kicked more goals than any other player, in total, factor into the equation?

I mean if Kennedy kicks 80 and Franklin kicks 80 and Franklin has an extra 100 possessions and 50 inside 50s, you say Franklin does more than just kick goals.

If Kennedy kicks 60 and Daniher/Franklin kick 60 but Kennedy plays 5 fewer games, do you not think that works in his favour?

Righto.

So does the fact that he has kicked more goals than any other player, in total, factor into the equation?

I mean if Kennedy kicks 80 and Franklin kicks 80 and Franklin has an extra 100 possessions and 50 inside 50s, you say Franklin does more than just kick goals.

If Kennedy kicks 60 and Daniher/Franklin kick 60 but Kennedy plays 5 fewer games, do you not think that works in his favour?

If we are only selecting a forward based on goals, then yeah I'd say it's in his favour that he has the same amount of goals in less games.

But I'm not 100% familiar with the selection criteria for AA. I've always assumed it's totals that are what's important as well as the stuff stats don't tell you, like impact on games across the season.

I'd also select based on total marks, (CMs especially), goal assists, accuracy, pressure acts etc.

Should be averages if the player misses up to 5 games imo. Too harsh on players who miss through injuries. 17 games is a very big sample size anyway.

That's why Kennedy should be FF without question imo.

If we are only selecting a forward based on goals, then yeah I'd say it's in his favour that he has the same amount of goals in less games.

But I'm not 100% familiar with the selection criteria for AA. I've always assumed it's totals that are what's important as well as the stuff stats don't tell you, like impact on games across the season.

I'd also select based on total marks, (CMs especially), goal assists, accuracy, pressure acts etc.

It's very rare for a player to win the Coleman Medal and not make the AA side. Jack Riewoldt and Scott Cummings are the only ones that spring to mind.

Kennedy is a bit down on a few stats from the last two years but is kicking more goals per game than he has in any other season. 4 goals per game when no one else in the comp is getting 3 is pretty remarkable. No other "stay at home forwards" are managing that. If Kennedy was on track for a 22 game, 60 goal season then I wouldn't have him in the side - just like he wasn't in the side in 2011, 2013 or 2014. But he's not, he's on track for a 17 game, 60+ goal season.

As far as other stats go, Kennedy has 31 contested marks compared to 34 for Daniher and 29 for Franklin. He has 57 marks inside 50 compared to 53 and 48. He has 8 goal assists vs 8 and 13. Tackles (well down) 22 vs 26 and 45. 1%ers 21 vs 26 and 26. The only big difference is possession numbers which you'd expect for a 13 disposal a game player vs 16 and 17 disposal players playing 5 more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back