List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
View attachment 339994
This is Sam Reid's games played per year. I think he can improve, but the perception that he has been incapable of getting on the park is untrue, and quashed by swansfan51 on several occasions

That's right! None in 2016 has perhaps made it look a little worse but he plays a role that the coaches quite clearly rate.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
View attachment 339994
This is Sam Reid's games played per year. I think he can improve, but the perception that he has been incapable of getting on the park is untrue, and quashed by swansfan51 on several occasions

That's interesting, because perception is that he has had regular stints on the sidelines. However, if you think about it, he's spent 2 of the last 6 years with significant injuries. Or 2 of the last 4 if you want to narrow the time frame. That's a significant period of time on the sidelines.

I think his inconsistency is a mix of injury, other personnel and being played out of position or as a decoy. the mix of those factors has meant he hasn't really cemented his position in the team as a forward rather than a swing man. Hopefully it all comes together in 2017 and he makes a significant contribution to our finals campaign.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't see why he would rethink the Jones comment. He's mentioned trading him and an inconsistent swingman for the best player in the league. To turn that trade down you would at a minimum be seeing Zak Jones as a top 10 midfielder. That doesn't mean he is saying Jones is s**t.
Or he recognises that footy isn't about who can trade off the most top 10 players wins, and that Jones brings skills we need more in our ... What's that word.... Team set up. Fyfes strengths are inside contested ball, and ariel dominance. There's no one in the league who is close in both those categories, but there is in contested ball, and its Kennedy. We will have aerial dominance over most opposition midfield with Parker and heeney mills. What that lacks and what we will need most is speed on the outside and an angry mid at every contest, and that looks like Jones.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don't think that Fyfe would bring skill and monger? Have you seen him play?
it's not about landing Fyfe, for me it's about letting Jones go. The toughness of Jones I think is a very different element than what Fyfe brings. Fortunately it's a moot argument.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Ideally we need another young key back and another running back. Edwards might come good and fill one role but for key backmen I dunno. Grundy is a couple seasons away from retirement, Johnson might never get back on the park and Talia doesn't convince me. Allir is brilliant but I don't want a situation which Richmond has in we only have one good key defender

Reg coming off his best season, don't see a rapid decline there and reckon Maibaum looks highly likely to make the grade.

That said, it pays to keep adding to the list of KP players, as we all know KPF are the most valuable player type but KPD are much cheaper to get.

Running backs, I really like the look of O'Riordan.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Reg coming off his best season, don't see a rapid decline there and reckon Maibaum looks highly likely to make the grade.

That said, it pays to keep adding to the list of KP players, as we all know KPF are the most valuable player type but KPD are much cheaper to get.

Running backs, I really like the look of O'Riordan.

he looked out of his depth against north.

Nah!
Dusty Dusty Dusty!
I remember when we offered picks 6 and 14 for him and they rightly laughed it off. What are you suggesting we have to offer this time? A bag of magic beans?

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember when we offered picks 6 and 14 for him and they rightly laughed it off. What are you suggesting we have to offer this time? A bag of magic beans?
Was it ever co confirmed it was for him? At that stage it was pick 3 there was no guarantees he'd be available.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

He's a free agent.
We don't have to offer the Tigers anything.
If we want him that is.
Same goes for any other free agent available.
As for the salary cap, from memory we were able to fit in Tippett into our team that had just won the p'ship & then we got Buddy in the next year.
We've lost the cola but we also have lost Goodes, ROK, Mummy, Malceski & Bolton who were on considerable money in their final years.

We have some new stars in our team who have had a pay increase but we have developed many youngsters & rookies whose lower salary helps subsidise those with a bigger salary.

I know I piss you off wiith my posting mate but I say we are preparing for another 'big name' recruit in the next few years that brings something we want.
Tom Mitchell gone, Macca will be done, Tippo's salary will be gone & there will be another significant cap increase. We are a destination club which gives us an advantage & our current players will stay for less to stay successful. Heeney, Hanners, Kennedy, etc wouldn't be getting at our club what they could have commanded elsewhere so obviously we have a capacity to keep our players. It's not just a Hawk phenomenon!

Is it Dusty or Fyfe? Only if they come to us for less than they would get elsewhere, because we will offer what they want other than just money.
Refer to the JOM to Hawks phenomenon!
How would they get to our club you are asking yourself while rolling your eyesat me?
Who cares!
How the ferck did we win a p'ship in 2012, land Tippett in 2013, then blindside the whole competition by landing the biggest name in the game for 10 years, Buddy, in 2014?
Who cares! We just did because we know what we need to keep us successful!:)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
For those of you that like myself, love to "dream" based on facts! In this case, the fact that salary cap was always going to have a significant increase with the tv rights deal. The main reason we 'punted' on Buddy with such a contract!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-07/exclusive-players-in-line-for-bumper-pay-rise.

I particularly love "dreaming" about this part!

"Under the scenario being discussed, the approximate 20 per cent increase in year one could be followed by another rise of up to 10 per cent in 2018, and then increases of roughly 3 per cent for the following three years."

For those of you that like myself, love to "dream" based on facts! In this case, the fact that salary cap was always going to have a significant increase with the tv rights deal. The main reason we 'punted' on Buddy with such a contract!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-07/exclusive-players-in-line-for-bumper-pay-rise.

"Under the scenario being discussed, the approximate 20 per cent increase in year one could be followed by another rise of up to 10 per cent in 2018, and then increases of roughly 3 per cent for the following three years."
30-40% in 5 years. Man. Can I join their union?

I have zero doubt the club factored in Marketing $ vs short term success for future opportunities in Bud's contract

Payout tbc

Rather avoid Martin. Cost too much, and he does come with a LOT of baggage for the price we'd have to pay. Not worth it.

This.

One player I think would add a lot to our team who is off contract is J. Pittard. He is the one off contract player that I could see being somewhat attainable and giving us that run off the half back line.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
This.

One player I think would add a lot to our team who is off contract is J. Pittard. He is the one off contract player that I could see being somewhat attainable and giving us that run off the half back line.
He also messes up by missing targets but takes the game on.

A perfect Swan!

This.

Rather not get Pittard and that's not anything against him but Port would want a first minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back