News The 2018 Brownlow Medal winner! Tom Mitchell!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brownlow Medal count is tonight and marks the start of Grand Final week. Tom Mitchell has been the warm favourite throughout the season and has won a clutch of other individual player awards as well as being named an All-Australian this year.

Will Tom salute? Or will a bolter from out of the blue spoil his party?

I reckon Tommy would wanna hope he doesn't! After getting AA and MVP already, Clarko will be absolutely ropeable that an individual is getting so many awards. Probably has them listed as a negative KPI :p

Just a quick note to add that while punting and the Brownlow medal tend to go hand in hand, the board's general prohibition on punting and betting-related posts is still in effect. Please kindly refrain from mentioning odds. If you wish to discuss any aspect of betting on the Brownlow medal, please go to the Punting Board.

I hope so.
Max Gawn and a few others have also had stellar years but as he is a mid, he should win.
Steele Sidebottom might go OK and Gaff should poll well but is obviously not a chance to win it.
Cripps maybe a chance too.

Every non Hawthorn person has been so headfu*ked they will all be praying to every Deity under the sun that Tom doesn't win.

My concern is that Sicily may take two or three 3 votes off him in first half of the year -- as he also had a top start to the year. This may hurt Mitchell's chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be great if he could bring Charlie home but I'm not holding my breath. I fear the umps will have been influenced by the press towards more "romantic" players.
Heard a caller in SEN just now pretty much say that the media have been saying all year that Tom gets heaps of stats even when Hawks lose so isn't all that effective.

Pity it was only deadshits KB and The Doc - a more intelligent commentator would've pointed out how many of those same media experts voted enough for him to win multiple media Awards.

Head-****ed?

Like most things, the Brownlow is unwatchable these days.

Reckon Gawn will take it out.

The last time a ruckman won the Brownlow was back in 2003, when Adam Goodes tied with Mark Riccuito and Nathan Buckley on 22 votes (Goodes was not the Swans ruckman in 2006 when he won the Brownlow for the second time).

Before Goodes, you need to go back to 1992 when Scott Wynd won the Brownlow (a year after Melbourne's Jim Stynes won the Brownlow) to find a ruckman who won it. Of course, if you ask North Melbourne fans, they would say that Corey McKernan was robbed in 1996 by a dodgy suspension.

Tom would need to have a good lead coming into the remaining 3 rounds as i don't expect him to poll at all in the final rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back