List Mgmt. The 2018 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Wolftone is talking about the timing of the end of contracts - which is always timed to be just after the end of the trade period, but before the draft.

So if Player A comes out of contract in 2018, he will actually still be contracted through the trade period. This means that the club has some negotiating power during trade week.

For a free agent (restricted, or unrestricted), this part doesn't apply. At the end of the contract, the free agent has the ability to decide on any club themselves.
You're being very kind ponsdale. Thats not what he meant.

I think Wolftone is talking about the timing of the end of contracts - which is always timed to be just after the end of the trade period, but before the draft.

So if Player A comes out of contract in 2018, he will actually still be contracted through the trade period. This means that the club has some negotiating power during trade week.

For a free agent (restricted, or unrestricted), this part doesn't apply. At the end of the contract, the free agent has the ability to decide on any club themselves.

This seems wrong.

An unrestricted free agent can walk to their club of choice.

A restricted Free agent can walk to their club of choice if their current club does not match the contract. If the club with the player matches an offer the following scenario's are available:
- The player remain at the current club
- The player gets traded to the club of their choice
- The player can nominate for the draft

The ASA limits apply for money earned from media appearances (so bookings on shows like the Footy Show or AFL 360 fall under this), additional uses of the players image for club or media use than agreed under the CBA and AFL promotional events or ambassadorial roles

All ASA limit payments have to fit within the $1,125,983 cap available to each club and have to be approved by the AFL. They also apply to the players families.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Its pretty clear cut.

I’ve often wondered what portion of this might be allocated to Buddy and whether it is included in the $10mil 9 years media headline. If so might not be as much from our cap as we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. Clubs or people connected with clubs can't just buy or gift players property and not include it in the salary cap. It would be a Carlton level breach of the salary cap. The CBA the Players Association signed even forbids this

But your right about there not being a "hard" cap. While next year the Salary Cap will be $12,758,095 for each club, EVERY club will also have an additional Additional Services Agreement Limit of $1,125,983 on top of the cap.

Again that is nonsense. Free cars would be a cap breach unless included in the players contract, but free use of a car would be included under the clubs ASA limit and is not a loophole and is available to every club. Don't think for a second we don't have a fleet agreement in place with VW under our sponsorship with them for any player that wants a VW vehicle to use. If the player wants any other make of vehicle they have to pay for it themselves otherwise we would be breaching our our sponsorship deal.

The ASA limits apply for money earned from media appearances (so bookings on shows like the Footy Show or AFL 360 fall under this), additional uses of the players image for club or media use than agreed under the CBA and AFL promotional events or ambassadorial roles

All ASA limit payments have to fit within the $1,125,983 cap available to each club and have to be approved by the AFL. They also apply to the players families.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Its pretty clear cut.
What if the player gets a gig that is not affiliated to the club, eg a traineeship at a accounting firm etc? Or a gig like Hodge did where he is not shown in club colours etc like the light and easy ads? Is that part of the ASA payment limits? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Maybe so but dropping games to GC (laughable), Port...and North at home. We would have been top 3, we wouldn't have won but that's beside the point. The lack of a gameplan to score is a huge issue.

This also goes into drafting as it's harder to attract players to play a boring game style.

I agree. More laughable is a team that beat us for that top 4 position & with the greatest coach & greatest ball winner we have ever seen, lost twice to a team that finished 15th & only won 5 games in total.
One would think that after losing once to them the greatest coach we've ever seen would be able to sort out what went wrong the first time when they lost by 56 points. I guess the great coach found improvement in them as they only went down by 33 points the second time around.

So you see, losing to GC when we have a coach with no game plan, occasionally happens.

I agree. More laughable is a team that beat us for that top 4 position & with the greatest coach & greatest ball winner we have ever seen, lost twice to a team that finished 15th & only won 5 games in total.
One would think that after losing once to them the greatest coach we've ever seen would be able to sort out what went wrong the first time when they lost by 56 points. I guess the great coach found improvement in them as they only went down by 33 points the second time around.

So you see, losing to GC when we have a coach with no game plan, occasionally happens.

:tearsofjoy::clapping: Hahaha brilliant post Ted, cracked me up!

How often does a team have its best 22 available? This year we didn’t have a number of players who would be best 22 at times. If we improve the list overall it’s a good thing.

Which was my point. They would improve our list but wouldn’t make much of a difference in improving our performance. Just my opinion. I don’t rate any of the names tied to us at all.

I’ve often wondered what portion of this might be allocated to Buddy and whether it is included in the $10mil 9 years media headline. If so might not be as much from our cap as we think.

Wouldn't be much I agree as we have to an written agreement with him to show the AFL how the money under the ASA Limit would be used so they can sign off on it and we have to also fit the rest of the list under the ASA Limit as well.

He isn't one to do much promotional work off the field above what he has to. Hence why I've always laughed at suggestions from Hawks fans that we used this method along with COLA to sign him.

Last edited:
Which was my point. They would improve our list but wouldn’t make much of a difference in improving our performance. Just my opinion. I don’t rate any of the names tied to us at all.

I'm just happy we aren't wasting picks on Moore!

What if the player gets a gig that is not affiliated to the club, eg a traineeship at a accounting firm etc? Or a gig like Hodge did where he is not shown in club colours etc like the light and easy ads? Is that part of the ASA payment limits? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Depends on if the company in question is a club sponsor or not. If its with a club sponsor then it has to go in the ASA Limit, if its a non club sponsor then its an individual agreement and goes outside the ASA Limit. But the thing to be careful of is whether the person making the offer is connected to the club (board member or benefactor) then it might have to go into the salary cap

Depends on if the company in question is a club sponsor or not. If its with a club sponsor then it has to go in the ASA Limit, if its a non club sponsor then its an individual agreement and goes outside the ASA Limit. But the thing to be careful of is whether the person making the offer is connected to the club (board member or benefactor) then it might have to go into the salary cap
Right, got it. is that a might or will connected to the club? What if the player gets a gig from a firm that is a supplier, the club's hired accounting or law firm that has none of its staff on the swans board? Ie, if you want the contract with us you have to employ X player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, got it. is that a might or will connected to the club? What if the player gets a gig from a firm that is a supplier, the club's hired accounting or law firm that has none of its staff on the swans board? Ie, if you want the contract with us you have to employ X player?

Employment agreements with the club or associates of the club fall under the ASA Limits, so your hypothetical would fall under that.

Employment agreements with the club or associates of the club fall under the ASA Limits, so your hypothetical would fall under that.
Ok thanks

West coast are not 2-3 top line better players than us

Re their mids, Shuey and Gaff are stand-outs but a player like Masten would not get a game with us.

Geelong used to do this with Rex gorell Ford etc...

This thread is already a lot of ****. Can we PLEASE keep the "game plan" and "coaches" discussion out of it, unless it's directly relevant to a trade/draft hypothetical. I'm trying to read any updates about trade/draft rumours, and finding it hard to keep up when trade week hasn't even started. Having to wade through all the posts about our game plan and coach as well is just annoying.

And from what robbie has said above they no longer can?

Costa wanted to employ Gazza this year as an ambassador for the development arm of his firm. The AFL correctly knocked the proposal back.

And from what robbie has said above they no longer can?
Still doesn’t stop club benefactors from offering incentives off the books or camouflaged...

Eg blocks of land in armstrong creek in Geelong

Or

Exceptionally, well paid jobs for family members and appartments/penthouse leases for 1 dollar pa. Or coles and fuel voucher cards.

You will never stop it....

Looks like Shiel is going to the Saints so wonder what that does to the Hanners deal. Maybe nothing. Must have some coin to spend and will get both. Don't like the idea of supplementing Hanners wage if he goes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back