The 2018 Footy Show - will there be a 2019 version?

Discussion in 'Footy Fourth Estate' started by Mr.X, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Premiership Player

Carlton
    Seriously, an absolute train wreck last night.

Unfunny segments, labored discussion on the panel, crawford and brownless making absolute fools of themselves.

Eddie is a fantastic television presenter, but not even he can drag this show out of this.

While the production values look good, the content is at a community level TV standard.

I hope it improves, but suspect this will be the last year as it's now lost all relevance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. sahawka

sahawka Rookie

Hawthorn
    The rap segment was cringe worthy, hopefully once the actual footy starts the content improves...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

3. General Soreness

General Soreness Awkward Squad

Collingwood
    I don't know if any of the papers have reviewed it. Certainly haven't found anything in the Age or the Hun. A poster in another thread pointed out that they had seen no promotional work for the show (noting that they don't watch 9), but I"m wondering if they're really trying to avoid promotion.

For those that didn't see the rap battle:

Good idea to not enable comments. Oddly Maddern says the segment is called 'Beat the Rap', but the graphics have a different title. Note that Crawford has to ask for a beat. :oops: Only three videos uploaded on the official youtube page from last night's show ... two of them about Sam.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X Premiership Player

Carlton
    [​IMG]

5. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    I don't hold out much hope the AFL and NRL footy shows based on what i saw last night. Hopefully both shows get better from here.

Boomerfan99 likes this.
  6. DeIulio2Pearce

DeIulio2Pearce Premium Gold

Carlton
    The one thing both shows have in their favour is that they fill up 2 hours worth of the Australian content quota all channels have to abide by. Much cheaper doing 2 hrs worth of panel show than producing a drama.

7. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Is this Sam Newman's last year on the footy show or was i a hearing things?

8. block_100

block_100 Senior List

Fremantle
    Both afl/nrl show are dying because of mobile phones. we all know our team lineup by the time the footy shows come on. I'm sure most of us just want to hear what the panel has to say about your team. Some viewers will watch the whole show.
    I haven't watched the footy show for at least ten years.

9. Borussia Teeth

Borussia Teeth Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Man Utd, Seattle Seahawks, SA Spurs
    It’s been shit for about that long.
    Needs to hurry up and die.

10. reubski23

reubski23 Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Patriots & Bulls
    I love the myth that is Eddie McGuire- tell me the last show he was on that rated....

TFS was significantly better with JB & Garry, I last enjoyed TFS with Eddie in 2002

11. Adelaide Hawk

Adelaide Hawk Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    I get the feeling they will do with Sam what they did with Lou Richards. Wheel him into the studio, prop him up in the corner and devote part of the show to him, even after he can no longer appear in public. It was the closest thing to Weekend at Bernie's I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Mister M

Mister M Senior List

Richmond
    I think the toughest thing for the Footy Show at the moment is it has a bit of an identity crisis.

Is it a 'serious' show that features breaking news, analysis of teams and the weekend ahead or is it an AFL themed comedy/variety program.

If it wants to be a AFL themed comedy/variety program, it needs to refresh itself and look at fresh concepts on humour rather than just repeating the same stuff year-on-year. Sam Newman's not funny anymore, his non-pc humour, letter bag and Street talk has been seen for years and is no longer fresh and interesting. Same could be said for Brownless & Crawford's material.

Instead they should be looking at some of the comedians on the scene that discuss Footy and look at it from different perspectives. Get personalities like Wil Anderson (Triple M, 2 Guys 1 Cup) , Danny McGinlay (Former Doggies Banner Man , Adam Rozenbachs (Junktime AFL), Michael Chamberlin (Junktime AFL), Tegan Higginbotham (AFLW, Fox Footy), Aaron Gocs (YouTube), Brad Holis (Yeh Goodboy Goodboy Good Footy Energies) to rotate through the program regularly and try and match the more 'modern' AFL style humour that the Front Bar has done successfully over the past year.

13. Peter Sidorkiewicz

Peter Sidorkiewicz Premiership Player

Collingwood
    The worse thing they could of done is brought Eddie back. And they did it. Footy show deserves to die for that reason.

Boomerfan99 and reubski23 like this.
  14. Lensen

Lensen You've ruined the act, GOB

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Collingwood
    danny mcginlays bits on the already terrible afl game day were the worst bit of the show

thejester likes this.
  15. hoianbulldog

hoianbulldog Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Now? Are you serious? It was a funny show for many years but it has been irrelevant for 10 + years.

How can you watch it? It is absolute garbage.

Mister M likes this.
  16. Marcus DuQuesne

Marcus DuQuesne All Australian

Geelong
    I got to about the 4 minute mark...Ok she's pregnant but she is HUGE. Adds nothing to the show. Newman was cringeworthy..with his little Ipad BS.
    That was it...OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and will NOT go there again.

17. mr bagcroft

mr bagcroft Club Legend

St Kilda
    She is still hot squire.

18. ApplecrossWC

ApplecrossWC Norm Smith Medallist

North Melbourne
    Does anyone know where I can get a Bigfooty baggy blue and the recommended retail price (RRP)?

19. Mingo

Mingo Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Renegades
    Who gives a crap seriously? Is this the first thing said about Bill Brownless when he's being assessed on his worth to a show? At least she has an excuse with a little human growing in her unlike him.

20. Marcus DuQuesne

Marcus DuQuesne All Australian

Geelong
    Your right I don't give a crap...just an observation///like Bec Judd wow she is so thin. Won't be watching so no further comment required.

21. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    New York Mets, Sydney Roosters
    Shit and painfully unfunny (especially given it's scripted). AFL should stop players and coaches appearing on it. Makes football look bad.

22. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    New York Mets, Sydney Roosters
    Gay and intellectual disability jokes don't get the laughs they used to but Sam Newman is too old and too ******* lazy to refresh his act.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Mister M likes this.
  23. Engimal v3

Engimal v3 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Been going down the toilet for a long time, but I think getting rid of Lyon and Brayshaw really killed the 'fun' vibe of it. Even if it was scripted, it was slightly enjoyable. It feels like a chore to watch this show now.

Teagueeee15 likes this.
  24. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Adelaide United
  25. Spongebob

Spongebob Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    West Perth, Fighting Illini