The 2018 Footy Show - will there be a 2019 version?

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously, an absolute train wreck last night.

Unfunny segments, labored discussion on the panel, crawford and brownless making absolute fools of themselves.

Eddie is a fantastic television presenter, but not even he can drag this show out of this.

While the production values look good, the content is at a community level TV standard.

I hope it improves, but suspect this will be the last year as it's now lost all relevance.

General Soreness

Awkward Squad
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't know if any of the papers have reviewed it. Certainly haven't found anything in the Age or the Hun. A poster in another thread pointed out that they had seen no promotional work for the show (noting that they don't watch 9), but I"m wondering if they're really trying to avoid promotion.

For those that didn't see the rap battle:

Good idea to not enable comments. Oddly Maddern says the segment is called 'Beat the Rap', but the graphics have a different title. Note that Crawford has to ask for a beat. :oops: Only three videos uploaded on the official youtube page from last night's show ... two of them about Sam.

Last edited:

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know if any of the papers have reviewed it. Certainly haven't found anything in the Age or the Hun.

For those that didn't see the rap battle:

Good idea to not enable comments. Oddly Maddern says the segment is called 'Beat the Rap', but the graphics have a different title. Note that Crawford has to ask for a beat. :oops:

0PAFC_what-the_620X370.jpg

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
I don't hold out much hope the AFL and NRL footy shows based on what i saw last night. Hopefully both shows get better from here.

The one thing both shows have in their favour is that they fill up 2 hours worth of the Australian content quota all channels have to abide by. Much cheaper doing 2 hrs worth of panel show than producing a drama.

block_100

Senior List
Oct 31, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Both afl/nrl show are dying because of mobile phones. we all know our team lineup by the time the footy shows come on. I'm sure most of us just want to hear what the panel has to say about your team. Some viewers will watch the whole show.
I haven't watched the footy show for at least ten years.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Is this Sam Newman's last year on the footy show or was i a hearing things?

I get the feeling they will do with Sam what they did with Lou Richards. Wheel him into the studio, prop him up in the corner and devote part of the show to him, even after he can no longer appear in public. It was the closest thing to Weekend at Bernie's I've seen.

I think the toughest thing for the Footy Show at the moment is it has a bit of an identity crisis.

Is it a 'serious' show that features breaking news, analysis of teams and the weekend ahead or is it an AFL themed comedy/variety program.

If it wants to be a AFL themed comedy/variety program, it needs to refresh itself and look at fresh concepts on humour rather than just repeating the same stuff year-on-year. Sam Newman's not funny anymore, his non-pc humour, letter bag and Street talk has been seen for years and is no longer fresh and interesting. Same could be said for Brownless & Crawford's material.

Instead they should be looking at some of the comedians on the scene that discuss Footy and look at it from different perspectives. Get personalities like Wil Anderson (Triple M, 2 Guys 1 Cup) , Danny McGinlay (Former Doggies Banner Man , Adam Rozenbachs (Junktime AFL), Michael Chamberlin (Junktime AFL), Tegan Higginbotham (AFLW, Fox Footy), Aaron Gocs (YouTube), Brad Holis (Yeh Goodboy Goodboy Good Footy Energies) to rotate through the program regularly and try and match the more 'modern' AFL style humour that the Front Bar has done successfully over the past year.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I got to about the 4 minute mark...Ok she's pregnant but she is HUGE. Adds nothing to the show. Newman was cringeworthy..with his little Ipad BS.
That was it...OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and will NOT go there again.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I got to about the 4 minute mark...Ok she's pregnant but she is HUGE.
Who gives a crap seriously? Is this the first thing said about Bill Brownless when he's being assessed on his worth to a show? At least she has an excuse with a little human growing in her unlike him.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Who gives a crap seriously? Is this the first thing said about Bill Brownless when he's being assessed on his worth to a show? At least she has an excuse with a little human growing in her unlike him.
Your right I don't give a crap...just an observation///like Bec Judd wow she is so thin. Won't be watching so no further comment required.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
s**t and painfully unfunny (especially given it's scripted). AFL should stop players and coaches appearing on it. Makes football look bad.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the toughest thing for the Footy Show at the moment is it has a bit of an identity crisis.

Is it a 'serious' show that features breaking news, analysis of teams and the weekend ahead or is it an AFL themed comedy/variety program.

If it wants to be a AFL themed comedy/variety program, it needs to refresh itself and look at fresh concepts on humour rather than just repeating the same stuff year-on-year. Sam Newman's not funny anymore, his non-pc humour, letter bag and Street talk has been seen for years and is no longer fresh and interesting. Same could be said for Brownless & Crawford's material.

Instead they should be looking at some of the comedians on the scene that discuss Footy and look at it from different perspectives. Get personalities like Wil Anderson (Triple M, 2 Guys 1 Cup) , Danny McGinlay (Former Doggies Banner Man , Adam Rozenbachs (Junktime AFL), Michael Chamberlin (Junktime AFL), Tegan Higginbotham (AFLW, Fox Footy), Aaron Gocs (YouTube), Brad Holis (Yeh Goodboy Goodboy Good Footy Energies) to rotate through the program regularly and try and match the more 'modern' AFL style humour that the Front Bar has done successfully over the past year.

Gay and intellectual disability jokes don't get the laughs they used to but Sam Newman is too old and too ******* lazy to refresh his act.

Last edited:
Been going down the toilet for a long time, but I think getting rid of Lyon and Brayshaw really killed the 'fun' vibe of it. Even if it was scripted, it was slightly enjoyable. It feels like a chore to watch this show now.

Sep 18, 2007
On a 3-hour tour
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Fighting Illini
Back