Analysis The 2018 premiership is the high point of WC's history

Remove this Banner Ad

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Whenever I watch the various recaps and highlights packages on YouTube, all the finals wins are great. But the result that makes me shake my head and chuckle every time is the win over Port in Adelaide. We were two goals down with a minute to go and somehow pulled it out of our arse, beating them after the siren at their home ground. Again. Think how dirty they must have been.

Hell yeah. Just went and rewatched that. Here it is for ease of access- enjoy.
#Portbuggering

I was in a Whatsapp chat group with a few mates this year. The Port mate dropped out of the group after this game. The Tigers mate dropped out after the Prelim and the Collingwood mate- well it was too late by the GF.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I just remembered a nice thing that helped us win.

So when we beat Melbourne in the Prelim I checked the Melbourne weather and it was like 11 degrees and 90% chance of rain for GF day. Each day leading to the game I checked my weather app and EVERY day the predicted temp went up and the predicted rain % came down to the point that on game day it was a nice 18 degrees and no/minimal rain.

This definetly helped our game style.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I just remembered a nice thing that helped us win.

So when we beat Melbourne in the Prelim I checked the Melbourne weather and it was like 11 degrees and 90% chance of rain for GF day. Each day leading to the game I checked my weather app and EVERY day the predicted temp went up and the predicted rain % came down to the point that on game day it was a nice 18 degrees and no/minimal rain.

This definetly helped our game style.

Guess I have to fix me sig already :moustache: :eggplant:

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I think once February ends, we're into the new season.

So as the glorious 2018 recedes, to be replaced by whatever 2019 holds, I just want to reiterate that I stand by every word of the OP. The previous season was the best thing I've seen as a WC tragic. Look at the players we were missing. Look at the ways we won. It was so epic. Character. From a team that had been so flaky for a few seasons. Hopefully we can improve further in 2019.

I think once February ends, we're into the new season.

So as the glorious 2018 recedes, to be replaced by whatever 2019 holds, I just want to reiterate that I stand by every word of the OP. The previous season was the best thing I've seen as a WC tragic. Look at the players we were missing. Look at the ways we won. It was so epic. Character. From a team that had been so flaky for a few seasons. Hopefully we can improve further in 2019.

100 likes on your opening post cannot be wrong.

Upon reflection still the high point of the West Coast Eagles in their history - hopefully surpassed by going back to back in 2019. :cool:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
100 likes on your opening post cannot be wrong.

Upon reflection still the high point of the West Coast Eagles in their history - hopefully surpassed by going back to back in 2019. :cool:

Clearly not about in 92, it is footy history & always will be, 2018 is little different to any other, but the 2005 loss to the Swans holds a special place in my footy heart.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Clearly not about in 92, it is footy history & always will be, 2018 is little different to any other, but the 2005 loss to the Swans holds a special place in my footy heart.
I'm finding it hard to split 1992 and 2018. Both epic. 2018 was won with everything going against us all year long. 92 was beautiful for it being the first time the cup left Victoria. And in the 92 GF, we were 25 points down at one stage, so there was some work to be done that day too.

Yes, the time the cup first crossed the Nullarbor was momentous, but we've managed to jag a flag this time around with system and structure for the first time ever. That 1992 team was full of superstars. After 1991 everyone predicted we'd be thereabouts. After 2018 even our most ardent supporters were looking forward to the rebuild.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you me?

Yep, we need to rebuild, don't think this team can improve on 2018 this year, have a feeling we will stay the same or become worse this year.

Out: Masten, Hutchings, Schofield, Sheed, Cripps, Venables
In: Ah Chee, Petrucelle, Sheppard, Gaff, Naitanui, Partington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I'm finding it hard to split 1992 and 2018. Both epic. 2018 was won with everything going against us all year long. 92 was beautiful for it being the first time the cup left Victoria. And in the 92 GF, we were 25 points down at one stage, so there was some work to be done that day too.
Also in 92 we were 10th in rd7 and had just lost to Sydney and Fitzroy and drew with Brisbane Bears. 3 basketcases at the time. And only just beaten Richmond by a point.

Was a slow burn that year.

We actuly went 4 wins 1 loss 4 wins 1 loss all the way to the flag that year

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s interesting- 2005 I always felt was offset by 2006. We at least got one back on the swans.

2007 hurt more, IMO. It was just one thing after the other.
Watching Scotty Lucas kick 7 in the final term to cost us 2nd spot, then lost the qualifyer to the power by under a kick, Then Losing the drawn final to the Pies, (especially after being up by 3-4 goals late in the 3rd) is a memory I won’t forget. Really felt like the end of an era. Judd was crippled, cousins chose drugs, and we copped an almighty whack to our reputation in the 18 months that followed.

What makes it all sweeter in 2018 is that we beat the pies on the biggest stage. I would take that over a semi final any day.

I wasn’t old enough to appreciate 1992, but I suspect I would have felt the same as I do now- proud of our mighty club!

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
2007 hurt more, IMO. It was just one thing after the other.
Watching Scotty Lucas kick 7 in the final term to cost us 2nd spot, then lost the qualifyer to the power by under a kick, Then Losing the drawn final to the Pies, (especially after being up by 3-4 goals late in the 3rd) is a memory I won’t forget. Really felt like the end of an era. Judd was crippled, cousins chose drugs, and we copped an almighty whack to our reputation in the 18 months that followed.

Oh man that brought back Baaaad memories

That Essendon game we were flying at 3qtr time then stopped. Like that 3 qtr time break literally killed our whole season that year.

The Port and Coll finals you could just feel we were gonna lose. Nothing was going right. It was bloody frustrating.

I still reckon if we had even broken even with Ess in the last qtr we would have finished 2nd and played Port or NM at Subi which we would've had a greater chance of winning and then a week off and a prelim v port/NM at subi with 1 crack at the cats in the Grannie with a fit Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox, Glass etc

Oh well... i reckon we would've got closer than 119 points.

Aug 30, 2007
NT
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm worried about 2019. Freo seem like a really united group.

hqdefault.jpg

It is quite laughable that they are "united" by a colour, rather than an aspiration or values, say... WINNING A GOD FORSAKEN FLAG?

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I still reckon if we had even broken even with Ess in the last qtr we would have finish
Oh man that brought back Baaaad memories

That Essendon game we were flying at 3qtr time then stopped. Like that 3 qtr time break literally killed our whole season that year.

The Port and Coll finals you could just feel we were gonna lose. Nothing was going right. It was bloody frustrating.

I still reckon if we had even broken even with Ess in the last qtr we would have finished 2nd and played Port or NM at Subi which we would've had a greater chance of winning and then a week off and a prelim v port/NM at subi with 1 crack at the cats in the Grannie with a fit Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox, Glass etc

Oh well... i reckon we would've got closer than 119 points.

Hate to say it but there is no way Judd would have been fit for the GF even with a few weeks rest. Cuz even though he looked the goods leading up to the finals he was every chance to do a hammie again. Kerr i think would have been touch and go with his finger?

I must say it has been a very relaxed feeling coming into this season compared to 2007. We had one drama after the other and when you watched each game win or lose you could see the team fracturing and it is any wonder they started off so well and finished where they did.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I must say it has been a very relaxed feeling coming into this season compared to 2007.

Yeah its been great.

Positive news from the club too. They seem happy and United.

Reckon Simmo will have em ready.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaff rolls straight back in and gets 35 touches at the MCG against Collingwood. And we won it without him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back