The 2018 Superdraft revisited

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Butters would be in my top 5, I rate players that can create play very highly and his hands are amazing. I expect Max King to be top 2 within a few years. Next to useless at ground level and not as multi-faceted as his brother but look at the first half of the Cats game in round 22. What he does well he does exceptionally well. Will be be on the those players that can completely dismantle a team simply due to being unstoppable when he's on.

Next to useless at ground level is just a stupid thing to say

Rankine (who I would have taken at 1) is the real stinker. It was always a risk with him, and GC is the worst possible place for him.

Speaking of the Suns, Lukosius deserves to be higher on that list. Above Thomas at least for mine.

Chronically underrated from that draft because he's neither a mid, nor a flashy goal kicker. His disposal by foot is the best I've ever seen.

Luko is a gun but ffs, Thomas is delivering the goods at a level that's tracking him to be a top five player in the comp in two seasons.

... he was one of only seven players last season to average at least 18 disposals and more than one goal and one score assist, alongside such superstars as Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca and Marcus Bontempelli.

Luko is a gun but ffs, Thomas is delivering the goods at a level that's tracking him to be a top five player in the comp in two seasons.

... he was one of only seven players last season to average at least 18 disposals and more than one goal and one score assist, alongside such superstars as Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca and Marcus Bontempelli.

Top 5 player in the league within 2 years?

Not saying it will or won’t happen, but why dismiss it out right?

Stat line looks basically identical to Petracca for year 3 of football. And both had missed a year of footy by that stage.
For starters it is a big, big effort to get into the top 5 players in the league. The odds of any player getting there is slim.

Using the Petracca comparison, even with Petraccas massive 2020 season I wouldn't have said he was in the top 5 players in the league until probably the finals time in 2021

Equally his stat lines are very similar to someone like a Heeney who is a great player but has never gotten close to the top 5 players in the league

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For starters it is a big, big effort to get into the top 5 players in the league. The odds of any player getting there is slim.

Using the Petracca comparison, even with Petraccas massive 2020 season I wouldn't have said he was in the top 5 players in the league until probably the finals time in 2021

Equally his stat lines are very similar to someone like a Heeney who is a great player but has never gotten close to the top 5 players in the league

So statistically unlikely to happen? That’s fair and I’d agree.

It is a big step up from the top 10% of the league to top 1%. And you can only really do it with finals performances.

So statistically unlikely to happen? That’s fair and I’d agree.

It is a big step up from the top 10% of the league to top 1%. And you can only really do it with finals performances.
Had the poster said on his current trajectory he was on track to be an A grade player or something similar in 2 years I wouldn't have been so dismissive

Taking the jump from promising young players to A grade is big. Then going from A grade to top 5 is a massive leap. And you only have to have a look at some ******* super players who have been top line A grade players but never gotten to the top 5

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

I didn't say he was s**t. I just said I rate Luko higher.

Both available in an open draft and I take Lukosios.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had the poster said on his current trajectory he was on track to be an A grade player or something similar in 2 years I wouldn't have been so dismissive

Taking the jump from promising young players to A grade is big. Then going from A grade to top 5 is a massive leap. And you only have to have a look at some ******* super players who have been top line A grade players but never gotten to the top 5

Added to that, there aren’t many top 5 players in the comp under the age of 25 throughout the last 20 years.

Added to that, there aren’t many top 5 players in the comp under the age of 25 throughout the last 20 years.
Yeah makes it even more unlikely he will be there in 2 years

Of recent time I can only think of Buddy, Bont, Cripps (who then fell off a cliff) & Oliver

I've probably missed some too

It’s hard because it’s all subjective, but Walsh is probably one you could be reasonably confident with.
Yeah he puts up another year like 2021 and he is legitimately in the convo

That is the thing too. I always thing you need multiple big years to be considered in the top 5 players in the league, hence why I said I didn't consider Petracca there until after the end of the 2021 season

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

ESPN stat

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rankine (who I would have taken at 1) is the real stinker. It was always a risk with him, and GC is the worst possible place for him.

Speaking of the Suns, Lukosius deserves to be higher on that list. Above Thomas at least for mine.

Chronically underrated from that draft because he's neither a mid, nor a flashy goal kicker. His disposal by foot is the best I've ever seen.
Rankine doesn't surprise me.
Midfielders playing in SANFL always made to look better than what they are. Good kids playing among very mediocre talent look like super stars.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

To add to that discussion too, Petracca was notably out of AFL shape and looked more like a boulder than athlete. It was very obvious he had high talent but it was down to hit commitment to reaching the heights he has this year.

For me I don't really know when I watch Thomas as to what's holding him back. Even with Walsh for instance, he has a hell of a lot of filling out to do still in terms of muscle so you can predict improvement is still to come. Thomas is quite sturdy, isn't a terrible runner from what I see but just doesn't seem a natural accumulator at this stage.

The next big body Bont/Trac type for me is clearly Rayner. Has all the explosiveness and footy nous, just hasnt had the fitness and discipline to take that step as of yet.

Lol it’s tough to choose who will be top 5 from all our young mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
David Trotter eat your heart out! 😂

Back