Opinion The 2019 game plan. Normal service restored @rd5. Or has it? A question raised that needs an answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone have much of a problem with the game plan of 2018?

Watching the first half tonight reminded so much of our worst football between 2014-2017 when we could often play slow, soulless and robotic football. The Geelong game wasn't much better.

How about we just p*ss off the "tweaks" made over Summer Bucks and we get back to the fast, direct and desperate style that afforded our talented players the ability to play on instinct, with flair and helped us into a Grand Final and you win coach of the year.

We're capable of so much more but need the freedom to show it Bucks.

They are too cautious, take the game on with quick movement and the dynamic forward line will get the job done. This side has loads of talent, let’s let them use it

Anyone have much of a problem with the game plan of 2018?

Watching the first half tonight reminded so much of our worst football between 2014-2017 when we could often play slow, soulless and robotic football. The Geelong game wasn't much better.

How about we just p*ss off the "tweaks" made over Summer Bucks and we get back to the fast, direct and desperate style that afforded our talented players the ability to play on instinct, with flair and helped us into a Grand Final and you win coach of the year.

We're capable of so much more but need the freedom to show it Bucks.
Some people can even whinge after a win, when we played nearly the whole game with 1 player down.

WOW.

buckley said in the press conference that the team played so carefully.... wanted the team to take the game on...

so we can...

1. either sack him for being a liar ....

2. or sack him because the team wont do what he wants them to do...

win-win

I think the game plan is fine we just haven’t got the personnel right yet. We need an extra runner off half back for Aish and an extra bull in the midfield. The latter has the easiest solution in playing De Goey more I’m guys and playing Sier when he gets his act together the former not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sold?

That’s unfortunate because I’d flog it off right now for the first offer we get.

When you have essentially one key forward and a bunch of smaller, quick, skilled forwards; you simply can’t afford to be stagnant with the ball. We aren’t skilled enough elsewhere on the ground and as we showed tonight, our decision making is abhorrent.

Bucks even admitted in the presser they would like the ball do me moved faster and with dare.

Some people on here annoy me how they think the coaches tell the players to move the ball slow and chip it side to side. I highly doubt that is what's said, more players need to execute better and be more daring, take risks, take the game on, work harder to get into positions to link up more

Bucks even admitted in the presser they would like the ball do me moved faster and with dare.

Some people on here annoy me how they think the coaches tell the players to move the ball slow and chip it side to side. I highly doubt that is what's said, more players need to execute better and be more daring, take risks, take the game on, work harder to get into positions to link up more
I think credit has to go to the dogs for flooding back well.

Some people on here annoy me how they think the coaches tell the players to move the ball slow and chip it side to side. I highly doubt that is what's said,
more players need to execute better and be more daring, take risks, take the game on, work harder to get into positions to link up more

I agree that that probably isn't what is said, but our players moved the ball the same way in the Richmond game. After that game Bucks spoke very positively about our ball movement. That very slow cautious ball movement continued for a game and a half. Unless he's been very explicit that taht kind of ball movement was Richmond only, he has encouraged slow ball movement.

Our first 4 games clearly show a pattern of trying to retain the ball by foot more often which has so far lead to a lot of slow and wide ball movement.

It's obviously a coaching instruction so we either have to do a far better job of executing it and finding the perfect balance as the season progresses or scrap it for what worked in 2018 if it doesn't.

Unlike the Hawthorn Premiership sides of the recent past or the current West Coast side we don't have a dominant key forward so slow ball movement inside our attacking area is exasperated and isn't playing to the strengths of our smaller but mobile forward line of de Goey, Elliott, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott (when he returns).

Hell all forwards big or small desire and benefit from quick ball movement.

It's only round 4 so we have time on our side but how anyone could watch that game tonight and not walk away with some questions for the coaching group is beyond me.

Buckley and Co. rightfully received the plaudits last season but at present it almost seems like we tried to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with.

Watching Bevo in the press conference, you could tell he was filthy. He knew he executed the perfect game plan but we were too good.
You just made my weekend Tbone McGraw . Reframe of the year!

Since I don't have the lofty genius of other backseat drivers, I will say was actually wrapped we won last night. The best teams find a way to win, and the eagles game the week before was a car crash, so we needed to win ugly.

However, at times when we took the game on in that last quarter, it resembles what got us to within five minutes of a flag last year. Billy and Stevo didn't touch it for three quarters last night, but why I wonder? Because we were playing kick to kick on the half back flank!

Somebody needs to tell Patch (Adams) that the runner isn't out there anymore. He can run and bounce the ball instead of kicking it central, to an opposition jumper!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back