Opinion The 2019 game plan. Normal service restored @rd5. Or has it? A question raised that needs an answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly can't see much of a pattern so far. Seems to change every game. Cats was just messy, Tigers was switching and keeping control (worked well), West coast seemed to be kicking it long down the line (against a tall team, didn't make sense), and Bullies was a bit of a messy mix again? I thought we looked best with the switching and keeping control.

I honestly can't see much of a pattern so far. Seems to change every game. Cats was just messy, Tigers was switching and keeping control (worked well), West coast seemed to be kicking it long down the line (against a tall team, didn't make sense), and Bullies was a bit of a messy mix again? I thought we looked best with the switching and keeping control.

It looked good becasue Richmond weren't expecting it and zoned back too hard without setting any players to cut off the switch or the forward chip, meaning we could chip it and move it down field effectively. We tried the same thing against WCE and Dogs, but they had players set to stop us being able to move it forward. Unless a team is completely unprepared for it, it's a dud tactic except for occasionally stopping momentum, trying to waste time or if your forwards are way out of position.

Perhaps, but I didn't see them try finding targets too often, rather kicking up the line (especially against West coast). Thought we could have switched more or picked out targets against Bullies but will have to watch again to formalize

Our supposed superstar midfield ain’t clicking. Grundy dominates the hit outs each week yet we are getting smashed in the clearances. The look soft tbh, we need Sier back in the team
By "smashed in the clearances" do you mean breaking even? 132 vs 136 this season; 69 vs 65 last 2 games; 33 vs 26 Friday night.

If you think that game plan will fly against the top teams in the competition you have an interesting view of footy.
The same would apply to yourself if you think Collingwood have a "one plan fits all" mentality.

By "smashed in the clearances" do you mean breaking even? 132 vs 136 this season; 69 vs 65 last 2 games; 33 vs 26 Friday night.

I'd argue teams have been getting more effective clearances against us, especially against west coast. This thread doesn't make sense though, there is no such thing as one game plan. There are tendencies, like West Coast wanna kick it in the backline then break free forward if centre. We are probably more likely and better off trying to run it through.

Our supposed superstar midfield ain’t clicking. Grundy dominates the hit outs each week yet we are getting smashed in the clearances. The look soft tbh, we need Sier back in the team
Grundy is not the problem, as noted, but the Pies midfield is currently all reputation. Eagles handed their butts on a platter, and Dogs made them look ordinary as well

Grundy could have 80 hit outs and 70 of them would be won by the opposition, rovering and clearance is a big issue at the moment, too "outside" minded... need a couple of pitbulls to lay tackles or go hard at the ball

Can you break that down from centre clearances and stoppages around the ground?

AFL website has us at 135 clearances vs our opponents 133.

Centre clearances:48-46
Stoppages:87-87

vs Geelong 35-40
Centre: 11-10
Other: 24-30

Vs Richmond 31-28
Centre: 15-13
Other: 16-15

Vs WCE 36-39
Centre: 12-16
Other: 24-23

Vs WB 33-26
Centre: 10-7
Other: 23-19

Geelong got a hold of us around the ground and WCE beat us in centre clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may be true but a slightly disingenuous statement. When the going has gotten tough, we have lost centre clearances imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly preferred watching our play last year but if we don’t change anything from last year how will we evolve/beat west coast?

Premierships ain't won in April my friends.

Agreed. Rd.3 2010 we were horrible against St Kilda and again when we played Geelong in Round 9. By any objective measure they both had us well covered. We managed just 10 goals combined in those two losses.

Barely two months later we’d surpassed both of them. Let’s all just ride the ups and downs for now and see how we’re travelling at the business end. I can’t wait to see the evolution of this team.

Anyone have much of a problem with the game plan of 2018?

Watching the first half tonight reminded so much of our worst football between 2014-2017 when we could often play slow, soulless and robotic football. The Geelong game wasn't much better.

How about we just p*ss off the "tweaks" made over Summer Bucks and we get back to the fast, direct and desperate style that afforded our talented players the ability to play on instinct, with flair and helped us into a Grand Final and you win coach of the year.

We're capable of so much more but need the freedom to show it Bucks.
whilst frustrating i think we are reading to much into it. just listen to Alister Clarksons press conference on the weekend as almost all the clubs are going with this style as they figure each other out. with that said i've seen moments in all the games where we can just hit the switch and score pretty quickly. so let's hope in the next month that it comes together.

whilst frustrating i think we are reading to much into it. just listen to Alister Clarksons press conference on the weekend as almost all the clubs are going with this style as they figure each other out. with that said i've seen moments in all the games where we can just hit the switch and score pretty quickly. so let's hope in the next month that it comes together.

Combination of factors. As always, everyone is copying the Premier and setting up a zone to try to force teams to go down the line. Everyone is too scared to take a risk, because Richmond dominated the comp for 18 months by destroying teams on the rebound when they turned it over. And they're too scared to go down the line, because intercepting those balls was WCEs big strength. So footy's a chip kick fest at the moment. Things will change - I hope.

It's all class and no speed apart from the Goo, Stevo and Treloar. We can't get over the back with any consistency and we look stagnant for large parts of the game. We need at least one quick out of the back line minimum.

There's no doubt that the style has changed, listening to Bucks on SEN he feels that the group is so tuned in that they "over" execute instruction and that we've "fallen" into a transition without losing the ball plan. (instead of last year swarm and spread that served so well) It was a little vague to read exactly what the end game of whatever the strategy is was.

So you'd read that the team has been instructed to play this way (hazard a guess less pressure better transition) - and they're over executing the instructions.

Question is why? Are we (and other teams) buying into the idea that we have to emulate the premier? I'd hope not as we don't have the personnel to do it as well as wc or haw in their halcyon years.

My uneducated and rational guess would be somewhere in between to evolve and improve and we're just not clicking yet, I seriously doubt the discussion inside the coaching panel was:

"Righto - time to evolve. Let's completely throw out our pressure game that got us a GF"

Bucks even admitted in the presser they would like the ball do me moved faster and with dare.

Some people on here annoy me how they think the coaches tell the players to move the ball slow and chip it side to side. I highly doubt that is what's said, more players need to execute better and be more daring, take risks, take the game on, work harder to get into positions to link up more

Indeed and lets not give any credit to the oppo for having the gall to try to counter what we're doing.. FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back