Opinion The 2019 game plan. Normal service restored @rd5. Or has it? A question raised that needs an answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

When you lay our best 22 out into the 3 zones the achilles heel in the midfield becomes apparent. Treloar is the only player in that area with any toe. That's why De Goey has such an impact when he goes in there. Might have to shift a Stevo up and give the Goo more time in the guts.

Langdon Roughead Schaza/Aish
Maynard Moore Howe Crisp

Grundy Sidebottom Adams Mayne/Sier
Treloar Pendlebury Beams Phillips

Hoskin Mihocek Stephenson
Thomas De Goey Elliott Cox

Last edited:
My take is that in transition, like most teams we are really keen to avoid going long down the line, so our mids are presenting as hit-up targets and thus seperating. This is resulting in a lack of run as they aren't moving in a swarm as much as they do when we are playing well. We're not getting enough blokes to the contest or running in numbers like they do when we're really on, because they have seperated too much in trying to stretch the opposition zone. The good news is in the last quarter against The Dogs the swarm was back. Hopefully the swarm remains together for the rest of the year.

Think we have tried to play Hollywood footy for the first 4 rounds. Plenty of precision kicks switching across half back trying pick the other teams apart. That all changed when we got down going into the last against the bulldog we grit our teeth and played tuff desperate footy which looks like our best footy. Move the ball forward fast at all cost and get numbers to the ball and tackle like demons.

Every other teams objective is clear now, shut down our run or get burnt off the park.

I don’t mind us trying to develop different styles of play, you always need a plan B. But the first couple rounds are not the time for it, that’s for Rd 16 onwards when you are establish in the 8.

Last night was great, play on every time, over did it a few times and sold some guys into trouble. The short chipping worked against Richmond because they rely on the ball being loose and just going forward. It won’t work against every team just like playing on won’t work.

They say a win can act as a release valve for a side and coach under pressure.

I'd argue our loss yesterday was a welcome tightening of the valve for a side and coach and comes with more potential upside than a win would have delivered.

Let's be honest here.

This loss has been on the cards across the last month and like Buckley said we got what we deserved.

Finally.

We put in a consistent 4 quarter effort against Brisbane and Richmond, beat Essendon with a dominant first half, Port with a blistering first quarter but the wins against current bottom 8 sides in St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Sydney and Carlton were nothing but scrappy and far removed from anything resembling Premiership material.

Yes we've had some injuries and September is still months away so playing our best football now isn't the end of the world but injuries or the month of May didn't stop us from putting together some dominant quarters of football that had proved enough until this round.

It's these powerful displays of football that hold the most intrigue for me as it's appeared it's taken a glimpse of defeat in order to bring out the style of football that resembled our best of last season.

And yet I listened with intent when the commentators yesterday surmised that we had moved away from our successful 2018 game plan of quick and dynamic ball movement (coupled with a strong contested game).

If the stats available can back this up then someone has to ask why?

Why would Buckley want to make a change when we've just enjoyed our best season under him by far?

I'm hoping that the answer lies somewhere between the opposition doing a better job of identifying our strengths and we as a side playing within ourselves to conserve energy for the run towards finals.

Still has a side ever been able to just flick a switch from plan B to A when desired or is that just wishful thinking on our part?

For the record I've taken a look at some stats and highlighted the ones in red that seem to indicate we're looking to retain possession and be more measured with our ball use.

Less risk yes but what about the reward that comes with faster more adventurous ball use?

The ones in green are the contested areas of the game that we need to improve on and have prided ourselves on in the past.

Competition wide based comparisons for Collingwood.

Disposals.
2018 1st
2019 1st
Kicks.
2018 7th
2019 2nd
Handballs.
2018 1st
2019 3rd
Contested Possessions.
2018 3rd
2019 7th