The 2019 Jub Jub Memorial Supercars thread

Reign Man

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there a reason that supercars aren't live on free to air? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they last year?, certainly in 2017 they were.

Short term money grab which will kill the sport in the long run. It’s par for the course with those in power in this country be it government, sport administrators and the like. The question they are all answering is “how can we maximize profit over the short term while we are in power”.
This is obviously counter productive to the greater good long term of the sport (or country) but these people don’t give a * because they are set for life and will be long gone when their shot hits the fan.
/rant

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Short term money grab which will kill the sport in the long run. It’s par for the course with those in power in this country be it government, sport administrators and the like. The question they are all answering is “how can we maximize profit over the short term while we are in power”.
This is obviously counter productive to the greater good long term of the sport (or country) but these people don’t give a **** because they are set for life and will be long gone when their shot hits the fan.
/rant

It's not really gonna survive anyway regardless now that there's no Commodores or Falcons anymore. Maybe the broadcaster doesn't see enough public interest to run it live?

Not sure, but there's only interest among pure race fans. The bulk of the interest in the past have come from Holden / Falcon fans - they had a connection with the race cars.

Sure now there are those grimly hanging on because they don't want to let go, but I'd imagine they'd be very much in the minority.

So unless you're a muzzy freak, an opel freak (don't imagine there'd be more than a handful of those in this country) a car racing purist there is really little appeal of the supercars anymore.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Going back to the exchange with Carringbush and Reign Man. The thing is, supercars as we know them should've been finished years, if not decades ago.

But it's not as easy as that because it's a professional series. There's money and jobs on the line if it collapses (which we think wil invariably happen).

So I think stakeholders will force it to keep going as long as it can. Bathurst will carry it for a bit, but it won't be as much fun as watching it used to be.

It's why there's good will towards tcr. It's filling a gap supercars should be doing , but isn't because it's a stubborn closed shop.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Not pure race fans. Pure supercars fans.

Either way soon won't be Holden or Falcon fans. Those fans have been the bulk of the supercar supporter base since day dot, there's nothing for them anymore apart from yank v8's and german, japanese cars with yank v8's in them.

Those that will hang around will hang around purely for the car racing, few if any will be in it for the cars.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Going back to the exchange with Carringbush and Reign Man. The thing is, supercars as we know them should've been finished years, if not decades ago.

But it's not as easy as that because it's a professional series. There's money and jobs on the line if it collapses (which we think wil invariably happen).

So I think stakeholders will force it to keep going as long as it can. Bathurst will carry it for a bit, but it won't be as much fun as watching it used to be.

It's why there's good will towards tcr. It's filling a gap supercars should be doing , but isn't because it's a stubborn closed shop.

Yep you're probably right, the game is gonna die off. Make no mistake the connection the fans have had with it has overwhelmingly been the cars, now that the cars are completely now foreign there's nothing to attract the Aussie fan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance and tv ratings drop off in a big way for Bathurst this year. I would be very very surprised if maintains the same interest it's had in previous years.

Back