The 2019 Jub Jub Memorial Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In a nutshell, the end of 1992 Bathurst 1000 was marred by extremely heavy rain, so much so that the race was red flagged on lap 143 as a result of numerous cars crashing out of the race due to the very poor and dangerous conditions (see below video). The Gibson Motorsport Nissan Skyline GT-R (nicknamed "Godzilla") driven by Jim Richards and Mark Skaife was leading at the time but Richards was caught out on the track because of the heavy rain before he could get to the pits and crashed at the The Cutting. He managed to continue with heavy damage before the car aquaplaned off the track at the start of Conrod Straight just after Forrest's Elbow and crashed into several other cars who had also met the same fate and it was at this point that the race was red flagged. The second placed Ford Sierra RS500 driven by Dick Johnson and John Bowe and the other Gibson Motorsport Nissan GT-R driven by Andres Olofsson and Neil Crompton passed the stricken Richards/Skaife car to finish lap 143.

However, when a race is red flagged, the result of the race is determined at the most recently completed full lap before the red flag is waved, this allows any cars who have crashed at the end of the race to be included in the final standings. The most recently completed lap before the red flag was lap 142 and the Jim Richards/Mark Skaife entry was leading at the time so they were therefore declared the winners of the race. The Dick Johnson/John Bowe entry was placed second with the Anders Olofsoon/Neil Crompton entry placed third. Co-incidentally, they were the only cars on the lead lap at the time.

When it came to the presentations, the Nissan entries were booed for the entire presentation as the crowd wanted the Johnson/Bowe entry to be declared the race winners as they were leading the race at the end of lap 143 (see video above in my previous post). Plus there was the fact the Skyline GTR's had dominated the Australian Touring Car Championship for the past few years and the regulations were changed in that turbocharged cars were banned with the ATCC moving away from the FIA Group A series and implemented the Group 3A class for the 1993 season.

It was only the second time the Bathurst 1000 had been red flagged and remains one of Australian motorsport's most iconic moments.

Thanks for that. Clears things up nicely. Sounds like the fans were ignorant as to the rarely used red flag rule then. They must have seen dick Johnson fly past richards and cross the line and assumed they had won. Good to see Richards stick up for himself. Probably the inspiration behind mark skaife being the over opinionated mouthpiece he is now lol

Thanks for that. Clears things up nicely. Sounds like the fans were ignorant as to the rarely used red flag rule then. They must have seen dick Johnson fly past richards and cross the line and assumed they had won. Good to see Richards stick up for himself. Probably the inspiration behind mark skaife being the over opinionated mouthpiece he is now lol
I was 19 years old when I watched this race and thinking back I don’t remember a real lot except for Jim Richards crashing out but still winning the race.
Watching the footage does anyone know if the other crashed cars were on slicks as well? Because if they were, maybe the race was red flagged prematurely.

I was 19 years old when I watched this race and thinking back I don’t remember a real lot except for Jim Richards crashing out but still winning the race.
Watching the footage does anyone know if the other crashed cars were on slicks as well? Because if they were, maybe the race was red flagged prematurely.

From memory (and I was only 12) it was definitely right to red flag. Cars were aquaplaning off the track everywhere and as much as anything, visibility had become very poor
Also, from what I can remember, Johnson and Bowe were claiming victory on the back of the Richards/Skaife car didn't get back to they pits/finish and were miffed to be relegated to second which was a large reason the crowd were so wound up. A pretty classic moment in Bathurst history.

Wow premat driving himself out of a co-driver spot next year for sure. He and Scotty are like NZ cricket in the 80's. Sir Richard hadlee bowling at one end and Lance cairns bowling tripe at 100kms an hour off the wrong foot at the other end. What a terrible team mate for scott
I agree premat has to go 100%. Scott McLaughlin can't have a chance next year doing it all himself again. But I don't agree with your assertion that Jamie Whincup is the GOAT. The kiwi drivers SVG and McLaughlin have a good ten years to go yet and lowndes is better than both of them imo. Having said that if whincup dominated the next five to six years it would be harder to argue your point

Jamie WhincupRed Bull Holden Racing TeamHolden
Shane van GisbergenRed Bull Holden Racing TeamHolden
Fabian CoulthardShell V-Power RacingFord
Scott McLaughlinShell V-Power RacingFord
Lee Holdsworth*Tickford RacingFord
Cameron WatersTickford RacingFord
Jack Le Brocq*Tickford RacingFord
Will DavisonTickford RacingFord
David ReynoldsPenrite RacingHolden
Anton De PasqualePenrite RacingHolden
Chaz Mostert*Walkinshaw Andretti UnitedHolden
TBAWalkinshaw Andretti UnitedHolden
Nick PercatBrad Jones RacingHolden
TBABrad Jones RacingHolden
Jack SmithBrad Jones RacingHolden
Macauley JonesBrad Jones RacingHolden
Garry Jacobson*Matt Stone RacingHolden
TBAMatt Stone RacingHolden
Rick KellyKelly RacingFord
Andre HeimgartnerKelly RacingFord
James CourtneyTeam SydneyHolden
TBATeam SydneyHolden
Mark WinterbottomTeam 18Holden
Scott PyeTeam 18Holden

2020 lineups

I'll be filthy if Todd Hazelwood doesn't get a drive

Last edited:
Still piss.es me off thinking about Scotty Pye switching his brain off last year and not giving lowndes room to pit in a race. Lowndes was doing well, smashed his car trying to get past Pye and played no further part. All because of the selfishness and stupidity of Pye.

$495k for a Bathurst winner, no wonder its being advertised to the world
fpr-2013-bathurst-winning-falcon-v8-supercar

A bit of 2020 hospitality tossed in :thumbsu: ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still piss.es me off thinking about Scotty Pye switching his brain off last year and not giving lowndes room to pit in a race. Lowndes was doing well, smashed his car trying to get past Pye and played no further part. All because of the selfishness and stupidity of Pye.
Lowndes would have only taken ScottyMac out again to cost him another Supercars title.

Should spice things up even further than this track already does

Should spice things up even further than this track already does

Yep I’m looking forward to this one. Some decent odds if you’re looking outside of SVG Whincup and Scotty. Having said that forecast isn’t for a lot of rain but will probably be wet at some point. Might be one for Chaz or Waters.

MCL and SVG end up in 2 and 1 on the grid. Impressive considering they came from 10th and 8th in the shootout. Going to be an all-kiwi drag race from the front row to the finish later this arvo, you'd suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back