Prediction The 2019 predictions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In the spirit of the Hawthorn board and "what's expected" here.......... :drunk:

• Tom Mitchell will win the Brownlow in 2019. So will James Sicily. Chad Wingard will also win it twice this year.
  • Mitchell Lewis will fulfill his namely promise & become leading goalkicker. Nevermind the Coleman, he'll jump to #1 on the all-time goalkicking list this year.
  • Shuan Burgoyne will be officially ordained a Saint by the Catholic Church. His miracle will be Q4 of the 2013 Prelim.
  • The AFL coaches association award will be renamed the Anyone But Al Medal in recognition of the petty jealousy of those 17 other deadshits.
  • Kennett will announce state government funding parity between Kardinia Park & Dingley, so our training facility will now extend down to Rosebud.
  • I will remind Geelong supporters on BigFooty they overlooked James Worpel as often as possible.
  • Will Langford will release a biography entitled "Those photos of Al"
  • The Hawks will beat Essendon* in our first final, Sydney in the second & Richmond in the GF... because Geelong making finals just isn't believable.

So I’m going to do a rd 1 expectation, a favourite/best case team with a few notes/predictions.

Rd1.....

B: Stratton, Brand, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Frawley, Sicily

C: Morrison, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Henderson, Impey, Worpel, Howe

Probably to be expected... Brand may be lucky here but I think it fits a “favourite” line up of Clarko & continues to goon Brand as the FB replacement for Chip or Mohr; perhaps as early as this year but definitely 2020.

Best case.... end of year

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, TOB, Birchall

C: Scully, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Gunston, Sicily, Wingard

F: Breust, Lewis, Roughy

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Worpel, Morrison, Impey, Rioli

This is always the fun part with rose coloured glasses & fingers crossed.

I have an expectation of a dominating back 6 that will have settled by mid season & our rebounding game to be at an elite level with Birch back to his best & Scrimshaw playing at a high level filling Burtons shoes.

Scully & Smith in sync with the defence & direct ball movement a result. NO LONG ******* BOMBS!

The forward line up is a direct result of a dominant back 6 & an improved midfield.
TOB to finally own a position at CHB & release Sicily forward with Birch & Scrimshaw on the flanks.

Sicily forward! (Oh my f...God! WTF??) Elite player. Big moment player. CHF til retirement.

Lewis as a FF to build around for the future, Rough to play second fiddle & pinch hit in the middle as the second ruck & get him around the ball in his last year.

Burgoyne I fear will have a simply an injury that he won’t bounce back from.

Poppy will be surpasses.

AA shirts for Sicily, Wingard, Mitchell & Hardwick

Harry Jones & Mathew Walker to get rising star nominations

Hawks to finish 3rd & play Melbourne in a finals redemption win in convincing fashion.

Hawks to win the GF over Richmond with Lewis having a bigger game than Lynch

The best til last... Rioli to return mid season at the expense of Langford & he wins the Norm Smith again.

Last edited:
I'd be confident taking this 22 into a final:
Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Birchall Brand Henderson
Scully Mitchell Smith
Wingard Gunston Burgoyne
Breust Roughead Sicily
McEvoy O'Meara Shiels
Impey Worpel Howe Puopolo

Depth: Schoey, Ceglar, Morrison, Mirra, TOB, Lewis, Pittonet, Nash, Cousins, Glass

Good squad

In fairness to any post-Mitch-injury prediction, it's now bloody tough to predict our finishing position, as it's bloody tough to work out what our Game Plan will be & how it'll perform against opponents. Previously (pre-injury), you could make certain assumptions & extrapolate (based on observation) improvements & drop-offs across different lines (players), so you could kinda come up with a reasonable argument as to why we'd finish 3rd - 10th (not 15th like those 2x muppets).

I won't be surprised in the addition of Skrillex + Scully + Birchall + Wingard improves us, despite the loss of Mitchell + Burton; so 4th - 6th wouldn't surprise.

Conversely, I kinda wouldn't be surprised if we slid a bit & finished 10th - 12th, especially if we cop another LTI or 3...

#demDraftPicks;)

In fairness to any post-Mitch-injury prediction, it's now bloody tough to predict our finishing position, as it's bloody tough to work out what our Game Plan will be & how it'll perform against opponents. Previously (pre-injury), you could make certain assumptions & extrapolate (based on observation) improvements & drop-offs across different lines (players), so you could kinda come up with a reasonable argument as to why we'd finish 3rd - 10th (not 15th like those 2x muppets).

I won't be surprised in the addition of Skrillex + Scully + Birchall + Wingard improves us, despite the loss of Mitchell + Burton; so 4th - 6th wouldn't surprise.

Conversely, I kinda wouldn't be surprised if we slid a bit & finished 10th - 12th, especially if we cop another LTI or 3...

#demDraftPicks;)

I'm of the opinion that champion players rarely make a champion team. Consistency is the key to success over a long season, not superstardom. Superstars really start to make the difference in the post season when it's live or die (almost) every week and no one is worried about injury management or overworking key individuals.

I expect that Hawthorn's playing group fully appreciate this and I fully expect them to finish 3-6 again. What can they do in the finals will rely a lot on who rises to the challenge. But over the season, the key is keeping the lows from being too low and the team work effective. Trade the two Brisbane losses last year (where teamwork and effort dropped like a stone) for a couple losses to top teams this year and it's still reasonable to expect a record somewhere around 15-7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back