Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tried this last year with limited success but have decided to try again. Thread is to be dedicated to training reports so that they’re easy to find and aren’t lost amongst the general jibber jabber in the other preseason thread

So if you make your way down to a training session and want to share your thoughts, post them here. Genuine questions about any of the reports are also welcome.

Anything else go here :

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/preseason-training-the-reigning-premiers-edition.1208283/

So with the above in mind I made my way to Subiaco for the clubs first open training session for the 2019 preseason

Still only 1-4 year players officially at training with senior players set to return on December 3. It was generally a low key session with the usual warm up and stretching preceding about 60 minutes or so of basic drills and skills work. They’d been on the track approaching 2 hours when I left as they started doing some 3/4 pace run throughs

Random observations for the day :

• Darling doing run throughs as I arrived. Massive unit. Looks fit
• Vardy Masten Cripps at training but not doing much
• And shepp. Moving well and showed no signs of any lingering hammy issues other than super skinny legs
• Mallen looks trim and every bit a midfielder. All the drills he did was with the mids
• Nicnat out there for a bit. Looks a bit lighter and moving far better than I remember him when he was doing his last preseason coming off a knee reco
• Ainsworth still needs more gym time, for whatever reason I thought he was chunkier than what he is. He’s actually very lean. Hasn’t fixed his ball drop but was hitting his targets nonetheless
• Williams is a big lad. Sunscreen sponsorship imminent. Very very white. A long hot Perth summer isn’t going to be kind I feel. He’s also had a haircut. Really impressed with the way he moves. Looks very agile for his size. Genuine cause for excitement at this pick up.
• Brayshaw looks a tad trimmer. Still a solid lump though. Thighs Hurn would be proud of. Looks heavy when he runs
• Exxon has good size about him. Similar build to Shuey. Everything he does is neat
• Rotham doesn’t look so skinny. Not muscular by any stretch but appears stronger. Also taller than I thought - almost same height as Brander
• Edwards is a twig. A tall twig but still a twig
• No willie or venners at training
• Oallen and Thickey on push bikes around the boundary and not joining in any drills
• NicNat, Edwards and Cameron left early - off to the gym I think. Edwards needs it. Cameron recovering from a toe injury I found out later so not running
• Riach training but not Bines. Don’t mind the look of him at all
• Given it’s only 1-4 year players it’s quite a large group when you see them all together
• Williams needs work on his goal kicking. Had to nail a set shot from 30m out directly in front as part of his first training session. Took four attempts - wide left, wide right, rh poster, goal
• Duggan looks carved from stone. A leader among this group.
• Ryan moving just fine although it must be said he didn’t do the running at the end of the session
• Hot water girl is hot
• Watched Nelson for a bit. Skills are decent
• First years split away for running earlier than rest of group. Interesting that Smith stayed with the noobs despite being a mature aged player
• Watermans looking in fine fettle
• Petruccelle impressed me during the drills. Very clean with his ball handling

Last edited:

So with the above in mind I made my way to Subiaco for the clubs first open training session for the 2019 preseason

Still only 1-4 year players officially at training with senior players set to return on December 3. It was generally a low key session with the usual warm up and stretching preceding about 60 minutes or so of basic drills and skills work. They’d been on the track approaching 2 hours when I left as they started doing some 3/4 pace run throughs

And shepp. Moving well and showed no signs of any lingering hammy issues other than super skinny legs
• Mallen looks trim and every bit a midfielder. All the drills he did was with the mids
• Nicnat out there for a bit. Looks a bit lighter and moving far better than I remember him when he was doing his last preseason coming off a knee reco
• Ainsworth still needs more gym time, for whatever reason I thought he was chunkier than what he is. He’s actually very lean. Hasn’t fixed his ball drop but was hitting his targets nonetheless
• Williams is a big lad. Sunscreen sponsorship imminent. Very very white. A long hot Perth summer isn’t going to be kind I feel. He’s also had a haircut. Really impressed with the way he moves. Looks very agile for his size. Genuine cause for excitement at this pick up.
• Brayshaw looks a tad trimmer. Still a solid lump though. Thighs Hurn would be proud of. Looks heavy when he runs
Exxon has good size about him. Similar build to Shuey. Everything he does is neat
• Rotham doesn’t look so skinny. Not muscular by any stretch but appears stronger. Also taller than I thought - almost same height as Brander
• Oallen and Thickey on push bikes around the boundary and not joining in any drills
• NicNat, Edwards and Cameron left early - off to the gym I think. Edwards needs it. Cameron recovering from a toe injury I found out later so not running
Riach training but not Bines. Don’t mind the look of him at all
• Given it’s only 1-4 year players it’s quite a large group when you see them all together
• Williams needs work on his goal kicking. Had to nail a set shot from 30m out directly in front as part of his first training session. Took four attempts - wide left, wide right, rh poster, goal
Duggan looks carved from stone. A leader among this group.
Ryan moving just fine although it must be said he didn’t do the running at the end of the session
• Hot water girl is hot
• First years split away for running earlier than rest of group. Interesting that Smith stayed with the noobs despite being a mature aged player
Watermans looking in fine fettle
Petruccelle impressed me during the drills. Very clean with his ball handling

Thanks Keys awesome write up! Great to hear Waterman, Petruccelle XO and Williams all looked good, MAllen with the mids and Nic trimming down.
Wonder what OAllen and THickey were doing on bikes, hope its only minor!
Thanks again :fire:

Last edited:

• And shepp. Moving well and showed no signs of any lingering hammy issues other than super skinny legs
• Exxon has good size about him. Similar build to Shuey. Everything he does is neat
• Riach training but not Bines. Don’t mind the look of him at all
• Duggan looks carved from stone. A leader among this group.
• Ryan moving just fine although it must be said he didn’t do the running at the end of the session
• Hot water girl is hot
• Watermans looking in fine fettle
• Petruccelle impressed me during the drills. Very clean with his ball handling
Did you see Foley at all mate?

Did you see Foley at all mate?
Yeah. Looks very light so will need to hit the gym something I think he’s acknowledged.

Was the least noticeable of the new kids

Ahh feels just like old times with your training reports keys! Much appreciated

Obvious question but is the training down at Lathlain Park ??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So far they’ve been training at subi and the session I went to yesterday was there. I suspect that once the rest of the squad return next week they’ll start going to lathlain for some sessions not least because they have the ability to spread out across two ovals

No info from the club yet as to when the next open session will be

Great write up, thanks for the effort.

Excited to hear about Duggan, if he could just tidy his disposal up a little I think he's a potential rock solid player in the making in the mould of Hurn.

Would be nice to see some of the lighter boys hit the gym hard over the next 6-8 weeks and come back a kilo or two heavier. Gotta convince Darling and Barrass let some of the younger kids use the weights!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noice write-up Keys! Some quality informative Jibber-Jabber right there!
These grabbed my attention -
Darling, massive unit. Looks fit! (Hoping he's a dragonslayer in 2019.)
Shep moving well -skinny legs (too much overtime with Sherry Lee Biggs?)
Mallen -every bit a midfielder- good news in the ongoing midfield stakes!
NicNat is lighter -a good thing (too heavy imho)
Williams (aka Karl)-genuine excitement!! (like this guy already)
Exxon similar to Shuey+neat. (a readymade)
Duggan rock hard!
Hot water girl is hot!! (need more colourful ambient info like this?)
Nelson's skills decent..(he could be anything)
Waterman in fine fettle (a big 2019?) (was red hot in some games)
Petrol impressed with clean skills! (fast+clean = gun).

Thanks Keys for posting, always good to hear whats happening in preseason. Being a Victorian it's a little hard to get down to training.

I get a sense with so many snr players at training early they're not satisfied with one premiership. Love it!

Last edited:
When they start training at Lathlain I might take a day off and go and watch. Apparently I have too much leave. I definitely have a good camera though so I'll take photos.

I can’t take it seriously when you write about Edwards. I’m still not convinced that’s a real person.

Allegedwards.

Travis King‏Verified account @TravisKing 2m2 minutes ago
West Coast senior players welcomed back to day one of pre-season with a 36-degree scorcher. Time trial this morning, Gaff and rookie recruit Josh Smith led them home.

Paddy Sweeney‏Verified account @SweeneyPaddy9 1m1 minute ago
Jake Waterman a casualty of the @WestCoastEagles morning running session. Wet towel on head and water bottles in hand as the temperature hits 33 before midday. @9NewsPerth

Clint Thomas‏Verified account @ClintLThomas 9m9 minutes ago
If you squint & tilt your head to the side that’s Nic Naitanui in the middle doing skills with his West Coast teammates.

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 54s55 seconds ago
"Every year you walk away from the testing and see who has improved. There were 10 or 12 guys who had PBs in the time trial."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 25s26 seconds ago
"Josh Smith took out the time trial. He'll offer some good outside run."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 32s33 seconds ago
"There's hunger every year for every player. At the moment it's about process and sticking to a process." - Simmo on the players' post-premiership motivation

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago
"We've got a few in rehab. Nothing too drastic. Just some coming back from niggles, like Josh Kennedy, Chris Masten and Elliot Yeo. They should be back soon enough."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 28s28 seconds ago
"It was good, hot weather. We were really pleased with the time trial given we hadn't seen most of the players after the Grand Final." - Simmo on today's 2km time trial in the heat

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 36s37 seconds ago
"There's always the satisfaction of the success, but I don't want to wait until round two or three until we realise there's another season underway." - Simmo on dealing with success

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 18s19 seconds ago
"I think it's been hard to determine a schedule, but I'd say @NicNat is slightly ahead of schedule, compared to his last knee rehab anyway."

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-03/he-didnt-handle-it-too-well-flag-eagle-leaves-camp

WEST Coast coach Adam Simpson insists there was "nothing too sinister" in premiership forward Liam Ryan's early exit from a pre-season training camp.

Reports surfaced last week that Ryan walked out on the tough biennial camp at the Stirling Ranges in southern Western Australia.

"It was a physical camp. He's pretty fit, he ran well today, but he didn't handle it (the camp) too well to the back end so we pulled him out and we took him home," Simpson said.

Matty Allen looks hungry.

View attachment 591803
Would actually like to see his contested game shine next year. His link up work was great last season but think we seem to have a few ahead of him in that regards. At 193cm and a great tank, he'd be a great inclusion in the middle if he can be a beast around the clinches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back