Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be expecting guys in that 3-4 year mark to be doing well in this time trial; they’re at that point now that they should be able to handle bigger workloads now.

But to hear Shuey runs his best time in 5 years, Gaff beat his by 7 & Hutchings beat his by 12 or 13- that’s an excellent sign that boys haven’t gone overboard this off-season (as they would have been entitled to imo - if you can’t let youd hair down after winning the flag you never will)

Nice to hear Smith making some good first impressions. No guarantees for him obviously but it keeps the guys above him honest and who knows? He could be useful on a wing next year if needed.

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 11m11 minutes ago
Luke Shuey is chatting to the media ahead of our open training session at Subiaco Oval

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 10m10 minutes ago
"It's a lot easier to train with your teammates around than by yourself at a local park, so that's why I came in a little earlier this pre-season."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 9m9 minutes ago
"The guy I looked up to for so long, Matty Priddis, always tried to improve, so that's where I'm at. I want to get better."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 8m8 minutes ago
"We need to improve as a team or we'll get left behind. The stepping stone to that is individuals getting better."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 6m6 minutes ago
"Having a kid, that's a pretty dramatic change to my life and then we won the grand final. I let that sink It, that feeling of being a premiership player. But you can't dwell on it too long. Seventeen other clubs are back at it before you wanting to knock you off the next season.

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 5m5 minutes ago
"The young guys, like Liam Ryan and Dan Venables, I spoke to them and they know it was special to win a premiership at such a young age. But they won't be complacent and they want to go again."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago
"I pinch myself that we actually won it. My individual performance is so far at the back of my mind. I've watched almost every grand final from the past 20 years and I think there's been better performances than mine."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago
"I speak to @NicNat a fair bit and he's going well. He's fully.committed to helping us get better. He's had a smooth run so far and hopefully that can continue. He's going well, and for the young boys it's a buzz to see him around the club."

Last edited:

Travis King‏Verified account @TravisKing 2m2 minutes ago
Couple of new ruckmen Hickey and Brooksby getting up to speed with West Coast’s mids. Almost every player on the track, Kennedy, Yeo and Nic Nat involved in warm-up.

Good to see we have a lot of players back this early. Previous years we have had 8-9 missing with niggles or coming back from surgery.

Travis King‏Verified account @TravisKing 2m2 minutes ago
Couple of new ruckmen Hickey and Brooksby getting up to speed with West Coast’s mids. Almost every player on the track, Kennedy, Yeo and Nic Nat involved in warm-up.

Good to see we have a lot of players back this early. Previous years we have had 8-9 missing with niggles or coming back from surgery.

Only player I haven’t seen is Venables

A few like Nic and Jk left after warmups and some dropped away from the main group to do laps as the session has progressed

I stopped in briefly. Riach looks to have a really good set shot, might be used as a forward. NicNat was first out and seemed to participate fully, for the first half hour anyway. Sounds like he took off just after I did.

Ryan looked distracted for some reason. Cameron looks like a high school kid who’s snuck in but his skills are pretty frikken good. Edwards is a skinny bugger.

I stopped in briefly. Riach looks to have a really good set shot, might be used as a forward. NicNat was first out and seemed to participate fully, for the first half hour anyway. Sounds like he took off just after I did.

Ryan looked distracted for some reason. Cameron looks like a high school kid who’s snuck in but his skills are pretty frikken good. Edwards is a skinny bugger.

How tall did Riach look? Like a KPP size?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General observations from today’s session that didn’t really work on anything specific as such and looked to be mainly about blowing off the cobwebs

• As the players came out they split into 3 groups (forwards, mids, backs) before training started
• Achee and Nelson were with the midfield group which I found interesting as well as Smith
• Edwards was with the backs. I think Brander was as well but it could have Bines - those two are near impossible to tell apart. Was probably both of them
• Williams was with the forwards as was Oallen
• Can’t see venners. Found out later he’s in rehab after having a knee scrape. Hopefully he’s back soon because I really wanted him to have a proper preseason
• Haven’t seen foley either. Found him later, must have been hiding behind a goalpost
• JK on the track and moving around reasonably well but left after warm ups though
• Edwards has an easy kicking style for a tall bloke. Looks coordinated
• Nicnat honing his goal kicking from the pocket
• Oallen walking/jogging laps again once warmups finished
• Masto and Duggan running the boundary also
• Schofield as well now and then Jetta and Sheppard
• Petruccelle impressive again during drills
• Kinda like the look of Smith
• Edwards been gone awhile now hopefully in the gym
• First years away from main group doing run throughs from about 3/4 of the way through the session
• Ryan sitting on the boundary talking to a trainer, looks a tad worn out. Slight hint of a limp when he was walking afterwards. No major concerns just yet but does need to work on his tank
• It’s impressive how much weight Rioli has lost. Almost looks skinny now
• Williams doing marking practice with Jaimie Graham- he has very sticky hands

Aside from Venables I think every player made an appearance albeit nicnat and JK left not longer after warmups and Cameron was barely out there

Riach spends all his time with the backs

Agree that Ryan looked distracted and Edwards is skinny

Thought exactly the same about Cameron looking like a school kid

How tall did Riach look? Like a KPP size?

He’s around 190. Flanker size and won’t be a KPP

Cheers. Be handy if he could play as a mid or small/medium forward or def, given the amount of young talls we have.

Being groomed as a half back from everything I’ve seen. Reminds me of Sheppard

How’s My Willie?

Smaller

General observations from today’s session that didn’t really work on anything specific as such and looked to be mainly about blowing off the cobwebs

• As the players came out they split into 3 groups (forwards, mids, backs) before training started
• Achee and Nelson were with the midfield group which I found interesting as well as Smith
• Edwards was with the backs. I think Brander was as well but it could have Bines - those two are near impossible to tell apart. Was probably both of them
• Can’t see venners. Found out later he’s in rehab after having a knee scrape. Hopefully he’s back soon because I really wanted him to have a proper preseason
• Haven’t seen foley either. Found him later, must have been hiding behind a goalpost
• JK on the track and moving around reasonably well but left after warm ups though
• First years away from main group doing run throughs from about 3/4 of the way through the session
• Ryan sitting on the boundary talking to a trainer, looks a tad worn out. Slight hint of a limp when he was walking afterwards. No major concerns just yet but does need to work on his tank

Aside from Venables I think every player made an appearance albeit nicnat and JK left not longer after warmups and Cameron was barely out there
Legend! Thanks.

Mallen with the mids?

How did O'Neill look? Looked like he was in the front pack in the time trial pics.
Didn’t notice him as much today as I did last week which isn’t surprising since there was twice as many players.

He looks a pretty neat compact footballer though and he’s not scrawny like Foley. Won’t be surprised if he cracks a game in the first half of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back