Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Masten might be looking over his shoulder. He equalled the record at the club that Cavka set in 2015 for 2k time trial. If he can match Masten in terms of run and can kick goals he may well get a chance in the seniors.
Yeah I doubt would have to be careful. His competition is Sheed or Hutching as we would struggle to include all three plus Gaff. One of the would come out.

Plus the 2k time trial doesn’t show work rate. Gaff never wins it but is out works Masten come game day with his two way running.

Also seems like Smith kicking ain't flash either.

I did go to Wednesday’s session but spent most of it chatting to some random supporter that wandered through the gate at the same time so didn’t make my usual notes

Only found out afterwards that the players did their 2k time trial earlier that morning which explained why they didn’t do their usual warmup routine and why there were fewer players than expected doing a full session

Unsurprisingly it wasn’t a full on session with drills focussing on ball movement from stoppages, work on defending space/slowing ball movement and a couple of aflx type games amongst other bits and pieces. They finished with some half ground competitive match sim

Absentees : JK, Yeo, Cripps, Ainsworth and McInnes were unsighted
Brief Cameos of varying duration: Naitanui, barrass, Venables and most of the first years - O’Neill, Williams, Cameron, Edwards and Bines (Foley and Riach did the whole session)

Random observations :
• Waterman trained impressively. Would be the current clubhouse leader to replace Lecras. Outmarked shepp at one stage in the match sim which is no easy feat
• Petruccelle again looked good and with Venables still some time away from joining full training I’d have Pet pencilled in for round one
• One of the drills required players to sprint from one wing to the other to cover a player (assistant coach) that was to mark a long kick in space. Rotham showed a turn of speed I hadn’t noticed before
• Watson has dyed the top of his head blonde in an johannsen/Odell Beckham style
• Masten may well be feeling pressure on his spot after losing the time trial as he looked very sharp
• Oallen did almost all the training with the main group which was a welcome change from the pre-Xmas sessions when he basically just ran laps
• Naitanui was nailing his set shots when having a bit of a kick around. Progressing much better than his last rehab

I did go to Wednesday’s session but spent most of it chatting to some random supporter that wandered through the gate at the same time so didn’t make my usual notes

Only found out afterwards that the players did their 2k time trial earlier that morning which explained why they didn’t do their usual warmup routine and why there were fewer players than expected doing a full session

Unsurprisingly it wasn’t a full on session with drills focussing on ball movement from stoppages, work on defending space/slowing ball movement and a couple of aflx type games amongst other bits and pieces. They finished with some half ground competitive match sim

Absentees : JK, Yeo, Cripps, Ainsworth and McInnes were unsighted
Brief Cameos of varying duration: Naitanui, barrass, Venables and most of the first years - O’Neill, Williams, Cameron, Edwards and Bines (Foley and Riach did the whole session)

Random observations :
• Waterman trained impressively. Would be the current clubhouse leader to replace Lecras. Outmarked shepp at one stage in the match sim which is no easy feat
• Petruccelle again looked good and with Venables still some time away from joining full training I’d have Pet pencilled in for round one
• One of the drills required players to sprint from one wing to the other to cover a player (assistant coach) that was to mark a long kick in space. Rotham showed a turn of speed I hadn’t noticed before
• Watson has dyed the top of his head blonde in an johannsen/Odell Beckham style
• Masten may well be feeling pressure on his spot after losing the time trial as he looked very sharp
• Oallen did almost all the training with the main group which was a welcome change from the pre-Xmas sessions when he basically just ran laps
• Naitanui was nailing his set shots when having a bit of a kick around. Progressing much better than his last rehab
Have heard from Masto that Nic Nat is aiming for a round 9 or 10 return and his way ahead in his rehab. His second knee was only ACL damage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I doubt would have to be careful. His competition is Sheed or Hutching as we would struggle to include all three plus Gaff. One of the would come out.

Plus the 2k time trial doesn’t show work rate. Gaff never wins it but is out works Masten come game day with his two way running.

Also seems like Smith kicking ain't flash either.
No doubt there was a reason he got delisted from the Pies outside of his injury. Still it's good to have more speed even if it's just in the WAFL. I would have thought if he can improve the kicking and is faster than Masten he would be more vulnerable than Sheed or Hutchings. Still what's footy pre-season for apart from wild speculation!😉

Waterman trained impressively. Would be the current clubhouse leader to replace Lecras. Outmarked shepp at one stage in the match sim which is no easy feat

giphy.gif

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-13/young-eagle-bulks-up-to-put-hand-up-for-key-defensive-post
Following the Eagles' memorable Grand Final win, Brander said the success his teammates had enjoyed had given him motivation to be part of things this season.

"As soon as the siren went I started thinking about the game and how awesome it was," Brander said of the Grand Final.

"Just celebrating with the boys that didn’t play, you think about how awesome it would be if you did play.

"I got back to Perth and got into the gym straight away, because I didn't want to waste any time. I didn't have much of a break because I was pretty hungry to play AFL as soon as I could and hopefully experience that one day."
Love this.

Brander and OAllen are going to be a serious duo, I can tell. Really hope they both end up forward.

Think Masten might be looking over his shoulder. He equalled the record at the club that Cavka set in 2015 for 2k time trial. If he can match Masten in terms of run and can kick goals he may well get a chance in the seniors.

Any idea what the club record time is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back