Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
View attachment 619115

Well the new facility is coming on. Can’t wait til it’s finished

Anyway. Training.

As others have said it was a very low key session with no contact work at all and only some fairly generic ball movement drills followed by goal kicking practice. Not much to report back with other than concentrating on who was or wasn’t training

No shows :
• Naitanui - guessing he was at the ninja academy where he’s said he trains on Wednesdays
• Brooksby - I don’t think I’ve seen him at training this year possibly because he’s being a ninja with Nic or perhaps he’s done a Burrows. More likely the former
• Brander - unawares of any issues with pig so no idea why he wasn’t out there
• Duggan - departed early last week and a non starter today despite training on Monday.
• O’Neill - truth be told he was actually there but might as well have been a no show as he didn’t even last until the stretches were complete before leaving. I’m assuming this wasn’t the plan as he did put a GPS tracker on and I’ve no idea why they’d need him to wear one walking from one side of the oval to the other and back

Partial shows :
• Cripps was walking laps on the outer oval as he gets over a toe injury. No surprise with that as the club has all but admitted he will miss the opening round(s)
• Kennedy - also walking laps as the club pulls his training loads back a little. No way of knowing if this is just to manage an older body or if there’s been a setback of some sort
• Shuey - kept JK and Cripps company. Hopefully nothing serious
• Ainsworth - did rehab work away from everyone else. Still not handling the ball too much with his left hand to protect the finger he had operated on. Seadog this is the young guy in the bucket hat you couldn’t recognise. Spent several minutes with Shuey at the end of the session discussing his kicking and footwork

It’s hard to know how serious or otherwise the injuries, if any, are to the above players because
a) the club medicos seem to be ultra cautious to avoid risks during preseason so will pull a player at the slightest hint of a problem and
b) the club is notoriously coy when discussing injuries so if there is a concern with a player don’t hold your breath waiting for any info

Everyone else did the full session including players who had previously been managed like Venables, Yeo, barrass, gov, redden, Cameron, Edwards, Waterman and Williams.

A few random thoughts/observations:
• Barrass is noticeably leaner and is covering the ground better as a result. Looks far more mobile that previous seasons
• I had reservations about how soon Venables would be ready to play but after seeing him do nothing but a bit of running before today he was moving well. At one stage he gathered a half volley pass at bootlace level at 3/4 pace without breaking stride.
• Had a brief chat with the AFL’s WA based reporter, Travis King, at the end of the session. Nice fella, especially for a journo
• Gov might be sitting out contact work but he’s getting his fair share of running in so fitness isn’t going to be an issue for him
• Early on Schofield was jogging a couple of laps of the MCG with Nicoski as company. If you gave them a tin cup each you’d be forgiven for thinking they were a pair of hobos

That’s about it

A bucketful of thanks for all that. Can't wait for the intraclub game now next Friday. It should provide a few clues on how we will line up in the early rounds.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
View attachment 619115

Well the new facility is coming on. Can’t wait til it’s finished

Anyway. Training.

As others have said it was a very low key session with no contact work at all and only some fairly generic ball movement drills followed by goal kicking practice. Not much to report back with other than concentrating on who was or wasn’t training

No shows :
• Naitanui - guessing he was at the ninja academy where he’s said he trains on Wednesdays
• Brooksby - I don’t think I’ve seen him at training this year possibly because he’s being a ninja with Nic or perhaps he’s done a Burrows. More likely the former
• Brander - unawares of any issues with pig so no idea why he wasn’t out there
• Duggan - departed early last week and a non starter today despite training on Monday.
• O’Neill - truth be told he was actually there but might as well have been a no show as he didn’t even last until the stretches were complete before leaving. I’m assuming this wasn’t the plan as he did put a GPS tracker on and I’ve no idea why they’d need him to wear one walking from one side of the oval to the other and back

Partial shows :
• Cripps was walking laps on the outer oval as he gets over a toe injury. No surprise with that as the club has all but admitted he will miss the opening round(s)
• Kennedy - also walking laps as the club pulls his training loads back a little. No way of knowing if this is just to manage an older body or if there’s been a setback of some sort
• Shuey - kept JK and Cripps company. Hopefully nothing serious
• Ainsworth - did rehab work away from everyone else. Still not handling the ball too much with his left hand to protect the finger he had operated on. Seadog this is the young guy in the bucket hat you couldn’t recognise. Spent several minutes with Shuey at the end of the session discussing his kicking and footwork

It’s hard to know how serious or otherwise the injuries, if any, are to the above players because
a) the club medicos seem to be ultra cautious to avoid risks during preseason so will pull a player at the slightest hint of a problem and
b) the club is notoriously coy when discussing injuries so if there is a concern with a player don’t hold your breath waiting for any info

Everyone else did the full session including players who had previously been managed like Venables, Yeo, barrass, gov, redden, Cameron, Edwards, Waterman and Williams.

A few random thoughts/observations:
• Barrass is noticeably leaner and is covering the ground better as a result. Looks far more mobile that previous seasons
• I had reservations about how soon Venables would be ready to play but after seeing him do nothing but a bit of running before today he was moving well. At one stage he gathered a half volley pass at bootlace level at 3/4 pace without breaking stride.
• Had a brief chat with the AFL’s WA based reporter, Travis King, at the end of the session. Nice fella, especially for a journo
• Gov might be sitting out contact work but he’s getting his fair share of running in so fitness isn’t going to be an issue for him
• Early on Schofield was jogging a couple of laps of the MCG with Nicoski as company. If you gave them a tin cup each you’d be forgiven for thinking they were a pair of hobos

That’s about it
My best guess was Ainsworth that was with Shuey but I wasn't sure, noticed the tutorial from Shuey on ball release, coming out of traffic etc I also noticed Venables was moving pretty well for someone under an injury cloud, so hopefully he's on the up.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
[B]Travis King[/B]‏Verified account @[B]TravisKing[/B] 46s47 seconds ago
More
West Coast says Chris Masten copped a left calf corkie at training this morn and won’t play in tomorrow’s intraclub. Had a large bandage applied but stayed on Subi Oval for 90-minute session. Kennedy and Cripps ran strongly in 150m repeat efforts, step forward in their rehab.

Back at subi for open training today - but ahead of tomorrow’s intraclub hitout it was a very light session lasting barely more than an hour. So not much to report. Anyways -

• Shuey doing laps to start whilst the main group do their usual stretches
• Ainsworth on his own working with one of the coaches on his kicking
• Brooksby there but no sign of Hickey. First time this year I’ve seen Brooksby at training. Fears he’d been buried next to Burrows can now be put to rest
• No gaff, Jetta or Rioli who are all at the AFLX circus
• Cripps moving ok during warmups and kicking the footy
• Gov not doing much
• Ainsworth joining boundary throw in work as different groups practice stoppage setups
• Nelson in centre square with Vardy redden and Yeo. Definitely preparing him for a midfield role
• JK and Cripps running boundary now at good pace. Encouraging signs from Cripps
• Nicnat helping with ruck taps for the stoppage work. His rehab is going well it appears
• Mallen drains a shot on the run from the 50 during a drill with ease. And again
• No signs of any issues with Duggan. Yeo also moving well as is Waterman
• No Masten that I can see - comes out later with his left calf strapped. Get on Josh Smith for a round 1 debut
• Hickey comes out late but doesn’t do much
• Exxon jogging the boundary at barely half pace
• Foley having a chat with a trainer whilst looking at his hand before leaving down the race and didn’t return. Simpson yelled out asking him if anything was wrong but I couldn’t hear the answer
• 9.50 and it looks like they’re done
• Duggan connects with a torp that goes through for a goal from the edge of the centre square during that time when official training has finished and players mess around doing different bits and pieces as they make their way off the track
• Gov doing some sprints with Ainsworth over on the other side of the ground

And that’s a wrap

Game day bitches

AE4DB417-23ED-4215-9B1B-79A6983843F6.jpeg

Hopefully I don’t get asked to leave

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
When reading reports about the second half it should be noted that at half time they swapped the players around. First half was an even split, second half was effectively the A team v the B team - 2/3 of a premiership side against a team with 50% top up players who were playing ammos last year

Hope it's nothing major for Brander.

is Nelson playing midfield Keys ?

Yeah he was. Played well I thought

Are Venables , Redden and Yeo playing?

Is Hamish Brayshaw getting some decent mid minutes?

First three all played

Brayshaw was walking laps with Masten before the game and didn’t play

Is Matt Allen the BBIBWBLF

Played midfield but was pretty quiet

Gee Venables should be getting a bit worried that Petrucelle might push him out of the 22.
m

Venables didn’t get the goals but was pretty lively - was played further up the ground than petch

The Black Fox

Debutant
Aug 16, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah he was. Played well I thought

First three all played

Brayshaw was walking laps with Masten before the game and didn’t play

Played midfield but was pretty quiet

m

Venables didn’t get the goals but was pretty lively - was played further up the ground than petch
Any of the WAFL guys stand out in anyway? Or simply outclassed?

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Petch really sounds like the kind of guy who can kick multiple goals and be really dangerous really quickly after a quiet half of 3 quarters. His speed and marking ability is a point of difference over most defenders.

Good to see Venables was lively. Really like when he has the ball in hand. Hes not afraid to back in his skills and take the aggressive option. Just needs to build his fitness so he gets more of it.

Shame about brander, but you’d suspect any sign of a strain and that would be curtains today. Hopefully just a knock and nothing really serious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back