Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Warm day may or may not have contributed to this being a pretty low key session which looked like a post game recovery of Friday’s intraclub. Anyways -

• Only half the squad come out to do stretches and then disappear. Other half comes out before the first half join them. Quick head count is up around 40 or just over so good numbers depending on how many last beyond warmup
• Naitanui and Cripps off jogging by themselves initially
• Waterman also doing his own thing so after rolling his ankle and recovering in time for the intraclub he’s obviously had another setback - his quad was iced at the finish of that game. Frustrating preseason for a guy that deserved to have his eye on replacing Lecca
• Brayshaw also away from the main group just handballing with an assistant and someone who looks like Foley - if it is him then he’s also had a setback of sorts. Likewise Brayshaw who did very little
• No Schofield - heard Duffield tell his photographer to try and get a shot because he saw Schoey with his leg strapped as the players first walked out. I didn’t see him and he never came out again.
• Rotham takes two goes to nail his birthday shot. Definitely a defender
• Laps for JK and Cripps as the main group do ball movement drills. Both of them ran repeatedly at good pace so that’s encouraging as they work their way back
• Naitanui is involved in some of the drills at I see him sprint 15-20m to take a chest mark. So far so good for him on his recovery. Genuine cause for optimism
• Brander training and showing no signs of any injury
• Duggan and barrass leave early. Just think they’d had enough rather than there being any cause for concern
• Masten also moving fine. Snaps a nice goal and gives himself a jubilant Masto
• Shuey not 100% and he sat out most of the session only getting involved spasmodically and never at anything more intense than a slow jog
• Players have split into numerous groups of varying size now - Hickmott and Yeo just in front of me giving Nelson a tutorial on how to collect a loose ball and either break a tackle or get a handball away under pressure
• Ainsworth in a group hitting a leading target - kick still looks kinda ugly but it’s effective. A bit like getting a blowie from a fat chick.
• Simmo comes out from where he’s been hiding in the shade that of the stands and has an extended chat with Smith
• After about 75 minutes it’s all winding down. As I’m driving home I realise I never noticed Achee so not sure if he wasn’t there or I just didn’t see him

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Warm day may or may not have contributed to this being a pretty low key session which looked like a post game recovery of Friday’s intraclub. Anyways -

• Only half the squad come out to do stretches and then disappear. Other half comes out before the first half join them. Quick head count is up around 40 or just over so good numbers depending on how many last beyond warmup
• Naitanui and Cripps off jogging by themselves initially
• Waterman also doing his own thing so after rolling his ankle and recovering in time for the intraclub he’s obviously had another setback - his quad was iced at the finish of that game. Frustrating preseason for a guy that deserved to have his eye on replacing Lecca
• Brayshaw also away from the main group just handballing with an assistant and someone who looks like Foley - if it is him then he’s also had a setback of sorts. Likewise Brayshaw who did very little
• No Schofield - heard Duffield tell his photographer to try and get a shot because he saw Schoey with his leg strapped as the players first walked out. I didn’t see him and he never came out again.
• Rotham takes two goes to nail his birthday shot. Definitely a defender
• Laps for JK and Cripps as the main group do ball movement drills. Both of them ran repeatedly at good pace so that’s encouraging as they work their way back
• Naitanui is involved in some of the drills at I see him sprint 15-20m to take a chest mark. So far so good for him on his recovery. Genuine cause for optimism
• Brander training and showing no signs of any injury
• Duggan and barrass leave early. Just think they’d had enough rather than there being any cause for concern
• Masten also moving fine. Snaps a nice goal and gives himself a jubilant Masto
• Shuey not 100% and he sat out most of the session only getting involved spasmodically and never at anything more intense than a slow jog
• Players have split into numerous groups of varying size now - Hickmott and Yeo just in front of me giving Nelson a tutorial on how to collect a loose ball and either break a tackle or get a handball away under pressure
• Ainsworth in a group hitting a leading target - kick still looks kinda ugly but it’s effective. A bit like getting a blowie from a fat chick.
• Simmo comes out from where he’s been hiding in the shade that of the stands and has an extended chat with Smith
After about 75 minutes it’s all winding down. As I’m driving home I realise I never noticed Achee so not sure if he wasn’t there or I just didn’t see him

They Keys i remember would have driven back and found out why he wasn't there.

Short session today ahead of tomorrow’s intraclub so skills only with no contact work. Players came out around 10.20 and by 11.00 they were done - none of the usual stretching exercises were done out on the ground that normally takes a good 15-20 minutes partly explains why this seemed shorter. Anyways :

• Riach with lower left arm strapped so could be an injury to forearm, wrist or even finger. Wasn’t using that hand and only did running
• Edwards also away from main group and did some less than half paced jogging. My non-medical opinion is a strained groin possibly due to one too many visits from FKASC
• No Cameron or Schofield that I can see. Most others seem accounted for
• Kennedy kicking at goal whilst others do skill work in line groups. He didn’t too much so no clearer on how likely he is for round 1
• Barrass, Duggan and redden in a group doing their own thing kicking a ball around. Barrass and Duggan would later be early departures from the track but didn’t seem to be anything concerning
• There’s Cameron wandering out in a training T-shirt. Did nothing. Who knows if there’s a problem after he didn’t play on the weekend
• Mids in two groups training kick mark on one wing (closest to me) and the others working stoppages on the far wing
• Shepp training and moving fine showing no effects of his corky
• Brander with the forwards
• Schofield appears finally. Did some work with a trainer on the opposite side of the ground. Doubt he’ll be available for round 1
• Mids now practicing ground ball gathers - ball coming towards the player firstly then changed to ball rolling away then finishing with a kick on the full straight at them from <10m. Sharp hands required to take the ball cleanly
• No Hurn I notice - captains thing in Victoria obviously. Just another of those little benefits the vic clubs have that gets ignored
• Vardy and gov now marking a tennis ball hit in the air with a racket.
• Cripps trained and did about half the work. Like JK hard to determine if he’ll be right for round 1. I’m thinking he’s doubtful.
• Great to see Naitanui jumping to practice ruck knocks with the mids. Very encouraging signs

https://twitter.com/keyser1617/status/1106030890218459136?s=21

Mickey Rae

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Mighty Royals
Short session today ahead of tomorrow’s intraclub so skills only with no contact work. Players came out around 10.20 and by 11.00 they were done - none of the usual stretching exercises were done out on the ground that normally takes a good 15-20 minutes partly explains why this seemed shorter. Anyways :

• Riach with lower left arm strapped so could be an injury to forearm, wrist or even finger. Wasn’t using that hand and only did running
• Edwards also away from main group and did some less than half paced jogging. My non-medical opinion is a strained groin possibly due to one too many visits from FKASC
• No Cameron or Schofield that I can see. Most others seem accounted for
• Kennedy kicking at goal whilst others do skill work in line groups. He didn’t too much so no clearer on how likely he is for round 1
• Barrass, Duggan and redden in a group doing their own thing kicking a ball around. Barrass and Duggan would later be early departures from the track but didn’t seem to be anything concerning
• There’s Cameron wandering out in a training T-shirt. Did nothing. Who knows if there’s a problem after he didn’t play on the weekend
• Mids in two groups training kick mark on one wing (closest to me) and the others working stoppages on the far wing
• Shepp training and moving fine showing no effects of his corky
• Brander with the forwards
• Schofield appears finally. Did some work with a trainer on the opposite side of the ground. Doubt he’ll be available for round 1
• Mids now practicing ground ball gathers - ball coming towards the player firstly then changed to ball rolling away then finishing with a kick on the full straight at them from <10m. Sharp hands required to take the ball cleanly
• No Hurn I notice - captains thing in Victoria obviously. Just another of those little benefits the vic clubs have that gets ignored
• Vardy and gov now marking a tennis ball hit in the air with a racket.
• Cripps trained and did about half the work. Like JK hard to determine if he’ll be right for round 1. I’m thinking he’s doubtful.
• Great to see Naitanui jumping to practice ruck knocks with the mids. Very encouraging signs

https://twitter.com/keyser1617/status/1106030890218459136?s=21
Thanks Keys. I too had a butcher's today with another board lurker.
Though a low key session we were very impressed with Bailey Williams. Very similar in size to Oscar but a looks like he will fill out a bit more to have a solid build. Very good in the air and his kicking appears to improved from footage I have seen from him.
We are currently very blessed with marking talls at the present time. Will be very difficult to fit in the likes of Brander, Oscar, Watermelon, Williams,and Rotham who also trained and marked well. Top these guys off with Schoey, Riasch (?), Bines etc we have fantastic back up for the likes of Kennedy, Darling, Gov, Barrass etc..

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Though a low key session we were very impressed with Bailey Williams. Very similar in size to Oscar but a looks like he will fill out a bit more to have a solid build. Very good in the air and his kicking appears to improved from footage I have seen from him.
We are currently very blessed with marking talls at the present time. Will be very difficult to fit in the likes of Brander, Oscar, Watermelon, Williams,and Rotham who also trained and marked well. Top these guys off with Schoey, Riasch (?), Bines etc we have fantastic back up for the likes of Kennedy, Darling, Gov, Barrass etc..
*Edwards

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

In 2-3 years when Hickey, Vardy and Naitanui hang up the boots Williams will hopefully have found his way into the team and we've also traded in someone like English. #ruckdominancecontinues

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
After the draft, I was thinking Williams was the crown in our jewel. He is 199/200 cm and in 2017 was predominantly a ruckman and in 2018 he was primarily a KPF who relieved Bowman in the ruck.

The more I read and see of Edwards, the more I think we got a steal as a rookie. Hopefully we look back and call him another McGovern rookie steal.

To qute Mickie Abblet, in 2017 we took the best KPF and the best KPD in the draft.

So looking ahead with our under 21 year olds, our future talls in our spine could look like:

FB: Edwards
HB: Brander Rotham
C:
HF: Allen Waterman
FF: Williams
With long shots in Riach as a 3rd tall and Bines

So pretty blessed when our current talls in our spine who are over 21 are:

FB: Barrass
HB: McGovern Schofield
C:
HF: Darling
FF: Kennedy Vardy
Add in rucks NicNat, Brooksby and Hickey along with McInnes and MAllen

The difficulty will be fitting the youth in with loads of competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a full scale intraclub today but played 2 x 30 minute halves of match sim

Cripps played the first half and JK a little bit more than that. Shepp played both halves.

Yeo and Venables didn’t play at all nor did Schofield

I’ll do a full write up later

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Just on Edwards, how does he look on the track? What role is he playing and most importantly can he overhead mark?

I keep hearing he's competitive which is a start.
Silky skills. Used to be a mid all his life then had a growth spurt. Future Brownlow medallist confirmed.

FB: Edwards
HB: Brander Rotham
C:
HF: Allen Waterman
FF: Williams.
Y3ClG77mvSReMrQAOL668BGHxJJddjRmt4D1FS_MjC7TCGKDYixDeI8q0aAhmIlj2gs3Zpjud3tR7M14TqMtUt_wFMXlvUaoiK68lYs=w320-h240-nc

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

Cripps played the first half and JK a little bit more than that. Shepp played both halves.

Looking forward to your write up, Keys.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Wasn’t behind closed doors? Or are you involved at the club now? Are you sleeping with the hot trainer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back