Toast The 2019 Rising Star posse

Remove this Banner Ad

Our previous 4 Rising Stars were - Sam Wright, Aaron Mullett, Luke McDonald and Ryan Clarke. Between Wright's nomination and Bailey Scott's we played 177 H&A games. Scott/Zurhaar/Thomas/Larkey's nominations took place across 15 games.

Not referring to you here, but this points out that some of the criticisms of our footy dept's ability to develop players needs to be adjusted.

We have tracked well in this aspect for a while now. Particularly the big blokes.

Last edited:
Rising Star Nominees currently on AFL lists:

(10) Adelaide: Gibbs, Otten, Walker, Talia, B.Crouch, Laird, Brown, M.Crouch, Milera, Doedee
(12) Brisbane: Hodge, Rich, Bastinac, Christensen, Taylor, Gardiner, Cameron, Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Witherden*, Rayner
(16) Carlton: Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Kruezer, Fasolo, Jones, Cripps, Lang, Weitering, Marchbank, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham, Silvagni, C.Curnow, Dow, Walsh
(15) Collingwood: Wells, Pendlebury, Goldsack, Beams, Reid, Treloar, Grundy, Aish, Langdon, Broomhead, De Goey, Moore, Phillips, Murray, Stephenson
(15) Essendon: Zaharakis, Hurley*, Heppell, Z.Clarke, Shiel, Smith, Merrett, Daniher, Stringer, Saad, Fantasia*, Parish, McGrath, Francis, D.Clarke
(14) Fremantle: Sandilands, Mundy, S.Hill, Fyfe, Matera, Conca, B.Hill, Taberner, McCarthy, Hogan, Blakely, Ryan, Cox, Cerra
(11) Geelong: Hawkins, Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith, Dahlhaus, Parfitt, Henry, Constable, Myers, Clark
(9) Gold Coast: Rischitelli, Swallow, Horlin-Smith, Nicholls, Martin, Miller, Weller, Wright, Ainsworth
(16) GWS Giants: Deledio, Shaw, Ward, Davis, Cameron, Coniglio, Greene, Whitfield, Tomlinson, Williams, Buckley, Kelly, Patton, Hopper, Taranto, Taylor
(14) Hawthorn: Burgoyne, Roughead, Birchall, Scully, Stratton, Breust, Wingard, O'Meara, Mitchell, Impey, Sicily, Hardwick, Morrison, Worpel
(13) Melbourne: Lewis, Jones*, Melksham, Garlett, T.McDonald, Viney, Kolodjashnij, Brayshaw, Lever, Oliver, Harmes, Petracca, O.McDonald
(13) North Melbourne: Higgins, Ziebell, Wright, Pittard, Tyson, Anderson, Williams, McDonald, Hrovat, Scott, Zurhaar, Thomas, Larkey
(17) Port Adelaide: Ryder, R.Gray, Westhoff, Boak, Ebert, Rockliff, McKenzie, Motlop, Wines, Mayes, Byrne-Jones, Powell-Pepper, Burton, Houston, Bonner, Rozee, Duursma
(15) Richmond: Houli, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Grimes, Caddy, Ellis, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Higgins, Baker, Stack
(13) St.Kilda: Brown, Geary, Hannebery, Savage, Steven, Carlisle, Dunstan, Billings, Lonie, Acres, Gresham, Long, Clark
(16) Sydney: Franklin, Jack, Reid, Menzel, Cunningham, Lloyd, Heeney, Thurlow, Papley, Mills, Clarke, Melican, Hayward, Ronke, Florent, Blakey
(12) West Coast: Hurn, Masten, Naitanui, Redden, Shuey, Darling, Gaff, Sheed, Barrass, Waterman, Cole, Petruccelle
(9) Western Bulldogs: Trengove, Wallis, Macrae, Bontempelli, Daniel, Dunkley, Richards, Naughton, Smith

The italics are guys who got the nomination at a different club
The bolds won the Rising Star
The asterisks were nominated twice

Not sure this all means much but here it is. (Since Wells got his nomination in 2003, 19 NMFC B&Fs have been handed out and of those only Higgins ×2 and Wells x2 had Rising Star nominations. Not Harvey x5, Rawlings x3, Swallow x3, Thompson, Cunnington, Goldstein or Tarrant. Yet Hrovat has one. Probably means we're overplaying Rising Star nominations. )

Last edited:
I think what most amazing about this year's crop of Rising Stars is the last 5 years we only had 2 nominations with 2015,2017 and 2018 having none at all.
In fact, in the last 10 years, we have had a total of 6 nominees, so to have 4 (so far) in a season is a real standout.
I expect LDU will snag a nomination to take us to 5 for the year, which will be just phenomenal. While a Rising Star nomination is no certainty to greatness, better to be earning them than not.

According to the Richmond metho drinkers, Stack gave Thomas a "bath" when they played and we'd sell our soul to get Stack.

Stack's a gun, but jeezo, lol.

According to the Richmond metho drinkers, Stack gave Thomas a "bath" when they played and we'd sell our soul to get Stack.

Stack's a gun, but jeezo, lol.
More likely meth addicts if that's their take away.

Stack will be good while he lasts in the AFL. Thomas is next level though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Also on this, we have a top-5 player from each of the last 3 drafts according to player ratings:

Add to that Larkey as our best performing U/25 relative to age and position, and Zurhaar who sits between LDU and Jy on the same measure.

Unfortunately the next 3 drafts are a bit of a wasteland for us on that front:
2015 - McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Mountford, Wagner (+ FazRaz and re-rookie-ing Maj)
2014 - Durdin, Nielsen, EVW (+ Preuss, Fordham). Haven't lost hope that we'll end up with at least a couple solid best 22.
2013 - LMac, Dumont, BBB (+ Tippet, Turner). Actually a pretty good draft for producing best 22 but not a player ratings bonanza.

Then we're back in the game with Jed a top-5 player from the 2012 draft, Cunnington from '09, the captain from '08 (not top 5 but in good form and a good get, and travelling better than Watts, Hartlett, Yarran, Vickery who all went before him), and Goldy from the pre-'08 group.

Things have looked up since we parted ways with Brewis.

Also on this, we have a top-5 player from each of the last 3 drafts according to player ratings:

Add to that Larkey as our best performing U/25 relative to age and position, and Zurhaar who sits between LDU and Jy on the same measure.

Unfortunately the next 3 drafts are a bit of a wasteland for us on that front:
2015 - McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Mountford, Wagner (+ FazRaz and re-rookie-ing Maj)
2014 - Durdin, Nielsen, EVW (+ Preuss, Fordham). Haven't lost hope that we'll end up with at least a couple solid best 22.
2013 - LMac, Dumont, BBB (+ Tippet, Turner). Actually a pretty good draft for producing best 22 but not a player ratings bonanza.

Then we're back in the game with Jed a top-5 player from the 2012 draft, Cunnington from '09, the captain from '08 (not top 5 but in good form and a good get, and travelling better than Watts, Hartlett, Yarran, Vickery who all went before him), and Goldy from the pre-'08 group.

Things have looked up since we parted ways with Brewis.
2013 is pretty good.

1 A grader plus 3 good solid players. Ironically on output you'd reverse the order they were taken on the ND.

2013 is pretty good.

1 A grader plus 3 good solid players. Ironically on output you'd reverse the order they were taken on the ND.

Yeah, you'd take our 2013 draft just about every year, if it could be guaranteed, rather than one elite player and then the rest busts. Very good and really important draft for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were to throw all the 2016 players back into a pool for a new draft tomorrow I think Simpkin would be well inside the top ten for sure..........

Top 5.

Taranto - 1
McLuggage - 2

Then Jy would be amongst the next 3.

Top 5.

Taranto - 1
McLuggage - 2

Then Jy would be amongst the next 3.

Agree 100%. Guys like Berry, Powell-Pepper and Tom Stewart in that kind of bracket as well but Jy has given us a look at his upside over the past 6 weeks and it is elite. Zurhaar would go very close to top 10 and would be without doubt the biggest improver from original draft position.

It’s an exciting time. I can’t remember
a period where we had so many guys under 21 with so much potential. The good thing is is that some of the guys you’ve mentioned were plucked with later picks.

LDU I get the feeling will have some serious breakout games next year. Will still be a bit inconsistent but with another pre season in his legs he’ll run out games better and be able to assert himself in the contest a bit more. Being an inside mid I reckon 2021 onwards will be where he takes his game to an elite level.

Thomas’ ceiling is as high as any kid in the country. I never expected him to play so much senior footy this year, and he has given us glimpses of all the facets of his game. Skill, vision, contested marking, inside work, evasiveness. I get the feeling is going to be the ultimate utility in the long term.

Simpkin to be honest he has blown me away with his last 8 weeks since he was dropped. I had concerns about him being a full time mid but that’s been well and truly been proven wrong. Only going to get better over the next 12-18 months. Really only needs to improve his tank to take his game to another level.

Scott in the long term will turn out to be one of the steals of the 2018 draft I think. It’s a real shame he hurt his foot because there might have been a few more chances to play AFL footy this year, hopefully he’ll make a quick, full recovery. Biggest thing with Scott is that he already has an elite running capacity, once he fills out you’ll see the contested element to his game which he showed in under 18’s. At present he could end up playing anywhere; wing, half back, genuine mid, half forward. Has leadership in spades too.

Zurhaar as a half forward he really only had to make a 5-10% improvement and he’ll be elite for his position. That’s bloody impressive for a guy who has only played 22 games. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a 40+ goal season within the next 2 years. Has already shown that he can win games off his own boot.

Larkey is pretty much still raw skinny kid. The fact that he is clunking contested marks and kicking goals already is pretty incredible. Usually key position guys have to wait to develop their tank, Larkey is already a running machine. The other big thing with Larkey is that he has natural footy smarts you can’t teach that natural instinct. Another two pre-seasons and he will be primed to be a 50+ goal a year key forward.

Walker despite his year still has incredible upside...freakish agility, speed and natural smarts. He still has a long way to go though. Think he’ll be a bit of a slower burn mainly due to him missing the last 8 months with the knee.

Murphy still has a long way to go. Obviously has some potential especially with his kicking but needs to add other strings to his bow, either in the way of defensive application or by adding a bit of speed. Hope he can take his game to the next level because he’ll need to to become an AFL footballer.

Unless something drastically changes I think Watson is probably the first one to not get a gig after this year. Hasn’t shown enough in the VFL.

I think the club is in really good hands when this crop take over as the senior core. Add in another quick midfielder, key defender and a dashing half back and it’s a core group that could take us deep into September.

Had this little summary in another thread but thought it might be a bit more applicable in here....

Had this little summary in another thread but thought it might be a bit more applicable in here....

Love that summary. Reckon there's 1,500 plus games of high-quality senior football in that group. there are a few others that could kick on as well like Crocker and Haydon. Great return on the draft picks we have had over that time.

More likely meth addicts if that's their take away.

Stack will be good while he lasts in the AFL. Thomas is next level though.

I think Stack is a beauty of a player but he's had a hell of a charmed run since being drafted. I hope Richmond have contingencies in place for when things aren't going so well (I'm sure they do, they should be commended for what they've done with him).

The measure of a club's group of youngsters is the degree to how much they achieve above their value. For years, particularly through the 2000s we have had diamonds-in-the-rough players like Goldy, Boomer, and Spud but our high picks have largely bombed, other than perhaps Wellsy. Cunners and Taz, and to a lesser degree, JZ and Ats have been bucking this trend, but the 20-year premiership vacuum is evident in the drafting over this period.

The 2012/13 draft pool was handy (Garner, Jacobs, Wood; LMac, Dumont, Brown) and would have been moreso without the injury curse over our 2012 cohort. But this 2016-18 pool (Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar; LDU, Walker, Hayden, Xerri, Murphy; TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker) are mostly tracking above their draft value. The 3rd year players, Simpkin, Larkey, and Zurhaar, have had a huge impact on our recent form and the 2018 group look like we scooped the pool.

Liking the balance of our list too. Have left a few out, but there is quality across all age groups. We shouldn't underestimate how crucial having the experienced group at the top of their games is to the development of the kids too.

Youngsters: Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, LDU, Walker, Hayden, Murphy, TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker
Early to mid 20s: Anderson, Ahern, BMac, EVW, Durds, Turner, LMac, Dumont, Garner
Mid to late 20s: Cunners, JZ, BBB, Maj, Ats, BJ, Wood, Pittard, Polec, Dyson
Old blokes: Higgo, Taz, Goldy, Thommo, Hall

A good run with injuries, a rejuvenated coaching group, and the 2017 pool kicking on in their 3rd year and anything's possible for this team.

Last edited:
The measure of a club's group of youngsters is the degree to how much they achieve above their value. For years, particularly through the 2000s we have had diamonds-in-the-rough players like Goldy, Boomer, and Spud but our high picks have largely bombed, other than perhaps Wellsy. Cunners and Taz, and to a lesser degree, JZ and Ats have been bucking this trend, but the 20-year premiership vacuum is evident in the drafting over this period.

The 2012/13 draft pool was handy (Garner, Jacobs, Wood; LMac, Dumont, Brown) and would have been moreso without the injury curse over our 2012 cohort. But this 2016-18 pool (Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar; LDU, Walker, Hayden, Xerri, Murphy; TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker) are mostly tracking above their draft value. The 3rd year players, Simpkin, Larkey, and Zurhaar, have had a huge impact on our recent form and the 2018 group look like we scooped the pool.

Liking the balance of our list too. Have left a few out, but there is quality across all age groups. We shouldn't underestimate how crucial having the experienced group at the top of their games is to the development of the kids too.

Youngsters: Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, LDU, Walker, Hayden, Murphy, TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker
Early to mid 20s: Anderson, Ahern, BMac, EVW, Durds, Turner, LMac, Dumont, Garner
Mid to late 20s: Cunners, BBB, Maj, Ats, BJ, Wood, Pittard, Polec, Dyson
Old blokes: Higgo, Taz, Goldy, JZ, Thommo, Hall

A good run with injuries, a rejuvenated coaching group, and the 2017 pool kicking on in their 3rd year and anything's possible for this team.

JZ is 28. Not an old bloke yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back