List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And so begins another year of repetitive discussion that will likely not reach a resolution until 8:29 pm on the last day of the trade period (can’t wait for the 24 hour play-by-play telecast next year).

Here is our current list of out of contract players at the end of 2019 (taken from LeverPuller’s thread):

Out of Contract, 2019

Jeff Garlett
Nathan Jones
Jordan Lewis
Jake Melksham
Sam Weideman
Joel Smith
Christian Salem
Billy Stretch
Sam Frost
Alex Neal-Bullen
Corey Maynard (Cat A Rookie)
Oskar Baker (Assumed, as a 2017 draftee)
Josh Wagner
Jay Kennedy-Harris

Of those, Weideman, Salem and Melksham loom as the major re-signing priorities heading into next year. ANB and Frost might also generate interest from other clubs.

You’d think JKH, Stretch, Wagner, Garlett & Maynard will find themselves under the pump if they can’t manage regular games in 2019.

Jones will be a free agent at the end of the year, but him going elsewhere is about as likely as North Melbourne landing a ‘big fish’, and it’s almost certainly Jordan Lewis’ last season.

That brings us to next season’s free agents:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-18/bigname-deals-thin-out-2019-free-agency-list

Some of the notable names on the list include:

- Levi Casboult
- Matthew Kreuzer
- Stephen Hill
- David Swallow
- Adam Tomlinson
- Stephen Coniglio
- Nick Haynes
- Grant Birchall
- Liam Shiels
- Ben Stratton
- Nathan Jones
- Majak Daw
- Todd Goldstein
- David Astbury
- Brandon Ellis
- Shane Edwards
- Jarryn Geary
- Jack Newnes
- Shannon Hurn
- Josh Kennedy
- Nic Naitanui
- Brad Sheppard

Expect there to be a war for the services of of Coniglio & Haynes, but besides those two, there aren’t many top line players that I can imagine changing clubs.

Finally, here is a link to Footywire’s list of out of contract players for 2019: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2019.

Who would you like to see the Dees target?

We should look at Goldstein. Would be an amusing thing to do to Preuss.

Pretty s**t list of free agents

Once Coniglio and maybe Hill sign on or commit to a club... not a lot of interest there. We'd have to lose a few more mids or defenders next off-season to go sniffing around some of the other names.

Last year after reading Lever in Mahoney said we had room for one more recruit. We got May but lost Hogan. That probably somewhat evens out. So I assume we have room for one more? No idea who we’d target at this stage.

Last year after reading Lever in Mahoney said we had room for one more recruit. We got May but lost Hogan. That probably somewhat evens out. So I assume we have room for one more? No idea who we’d target at this stage.

I really hope its coniglio, hopefully we have another great season and he wants a chance at a flag, would compliment our team perfectly.

I would say players like Brayshaw and McDonald significantly approving ate into this cap space

TMac reportedly signed for 700 a year which if true is an incredible bargain.
Harmes also re-signed just before he broke out in the second half of the year which was very handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can cover the loss of Frost now after the signing of May, and I reckon he'll get pushed out anyway.

Weideman is the one we cannot afford to lose.

No way we lose weid though, I've always said and will always say that you don't lose young best 22 Victorians to other Victorian clubs. It's only ever fringe players.

TMac reportedly signed for 700 a year which if true is an incredible bargain.
but still most likely an increase on his expected value 12 months ago

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

how big is the list of players wholl be free agents the year after? as its looking like clubs would rather offoad them if they dont re sign early than put up with media bullshit and getting more compo

Would we be interested in Peter Wright as a Free Agent next year? If Weid doesn't kick more than 30 for the year, I definitely would be..

Kelly, Coniglio, Martin, Zak Jones would be my main targets, but 2 metre Peter does intrigue me as an unfulfilled talent.

Would we be interested in Peter Wright as a Free Agent next year? If Weid doesn't kick more than 30 for the year, I definitely would be..

Kelly, Coniglio, Martin, Zak Jones would be my main targets, but 2 metre Peter does intrigue me as an unfulfilled talent.
I'd definitely be interested ... if for no other reason, than purely because he'd have managed to become a Free Agent 3 years earlier than he should have.

He was taken in the same draft as Trac and Gus ... a long way from Free Agency.

Seemed unusual - was going by a HS article. Assuming he's simply OOC

Definitely want Jones to play on.

ANB, Weideman and Melksham are priority re-signings. Salem, Stretch and Frost are the next tier down.

Baker looked promising in the VFL and was building before getting injured, keen to see him debut in 2019- he will be a cult hero.

Lewis and Garlett not looking likely for extensions IMO.

The others I’m not too fussed about, including the free agents from rival clubs- what a lucklustre list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back