List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely GWS aren’t going to take the risk.

Agree, you reckon they'd be in hard talks with Adelaide about swapping 4 and 6. Given the exodus at Adelaide, would have thought that 4 for 6 + player(s) would have been what they needed, but that ship has sailed. We'll see what happens I guess.

Let's say someone does nominate Green with pick 3, 4 or 5 and GWS hold 6 - does anyone know if GWS can then trade out 6 to someone in exchange for some other picks with more trade value, or once another club has nominated, that's it, picks disappear immediately?

Agree, you reckon they'd be in hard talks with Adelaide about swapping 4 and 6. Given the exodus at Adelaide, would have thought that 4 for 6 + player(s) would have been what they needed, but that ship has sailed. We'll see what happens I guess.

Let's say someone does nominate Green with pick 3, 4 or 5 and GWS hold 6 - does anyone know if GWS can then trade out 6 to someone in exchange for some other picks with more trade value, or once another club has nominated, that's it, picks disappear immediately?
They pushed the pick time limit out to 5mins I think, so that would give them time to at least officially make a pick trade, tho you'd think they'd have organised the deal before hand.

For anybody who thinks May and Frost didnt get along and that's why he left:

All fake. You can see the underlying animosity and revulsion in the photo.

Edit: Are they both doing hover hands? They hate each other!

Last edited:
They pushed the pick time limit out to 5mins I think, so that would give them time to at least officially make a pick trade, tho you'd think they'd have organised the deal before hand.

Interesting. Say things stay as they are up to draft night, you'd reckon GWS would have a couple of options / scenarios in place to immediately trade pick 6 out to a couple of target clubs (ie Geelong, with all those late 1st and second rounders). Still, they'd pretty much know the bid is going to come, so sorting it out before draft night would be sensible rather than relying on other clubs being happy to shake up their own plans to accommodate another club's inaction.

Overall, I think the club did a good job in the trade period.

Langdon, despite his flawed disposal improves our midfield. I’m less certain about Tomlinson, particularly as a wingman and wouldn’t be surprised if he is in and out of the team. However, if push comes to shove I think he can go back and be a valuable 3rd tall defender.

The club was a bit cavalier in shipping Frost off for essentially nothing but it helped get Langdon in.

We probably did throw quite a few later picks away very lightly, particularly when you consider some of the useful role players that other clubs got in for similar picks (I.e. Butler to the Saints). However, getting another top 10 pick in this year offsets that imo. We’ve been out of the first round of the draft for 3 years and haven’t had a piddling rising star nomination for even longer. Now we can get two players in that will hopefully have an impact and rejuvenate the side, adding to our depth.

Good clubs back themselves in, at least we’re trying to be a good club, I guess. If we finish bottom 4 next year it’s a bust given that our first rounder will be North’s but apart from that future picks may as well be magic beans imo. We need to improve now rather than be conservative in holding on to the ‘potential’ of pick 30 something next year.

TLDR: Demons trade period 7/10.

You might recall a few days ago I posted that the Dees were happy to land a pick 14-18 ish? I am hearing rumours if we have a pick here it would most likely go on Gould.

I don't think Gould gets past Port at 12, who just got rid of Dougal Howard. Not sure how flush they are for Defenders.

What do you guys think Melbourne will do with Pick 3? Go to the draft or deal with GWS?

Crows fan pretty split on keeping 4 or trading with GWS if the opportunity comes up.

I'm pretty sure GWS had already offered both Crows and Melb their Pick 12/18 & Next years 1st, so not sure how 6 and next years 1st (which will probably end up a very low 1st after NGA/FS) changes the landscape. Melb would want something a little more than the GWS offer for Crows Pick 4 anyway, surely.

Interesting. Say things stay as they are up to draft night, you'd reckon GWS would have a couple of options / scenarios in place to immediately trade pick 6 out to a couple of target clubs (ie Geelong, with all those late 1st and second rounders). Still, they'd pretty much know the bid is going to come, so sorting it out before draft night would be sensible rather than relying on other clubs being happy to shake up their own plans to accommodate another club's inaction.
Yeah, their work is a long way from done after trade period, thats for sure. A pick swap with Geelong (6 for 14&17) while about 430pts in GWS' favour, doesn't do a huge amount to help them, 14 disappears, and 17 slides down to 42 for a pick 3 bid, 34 for a 4 bid, 28 for a 5 bid.

So the difference between them shifting up the draft to our 3, or having a trade prepared for an early bid on the night is pretty significant - 2 top 5 players, or a top 5 player and a 30-40 player.

Yeah, their work is a long way from done after trade period, thats for sure. A pick swap with Geelong (6 for 14&17) while about 430pts in GWS' favour, doesn't do a huge amount to help them, 14 disappears, and 17 slides down to 42 for a pick 3 bid, 34 for a 4 bid, 28 for a 5 bid.

So the difference between them shifting up the draft to our 3, or having a trade prepared for an early bid on the night is pretty significant - 2 top 5 players, or a top 5 player and a 30-40 player.

Fantastic, no surprise you went off and looked at the maths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Gould gets past Port at 12, who just got rid of Dougal Howard. Not sure how flush they are for Defenders.

What do you guys think Melbourne will do with Pick 3? Go to the draft or deal with GWS?

Crows fan pretty split on keeping 4 or trading with GWS if the opportunity comes up.

I'm pretty sure GWS had already offered both Crows and Melb their Pick 12/18 & Next years 1st, so not sure how 6 and next years 1st (which will probably end up a very low 1st after NGA/FS) changes the landscape. Melb would want something a little more than the GWS offer for Crows Pick 4 anyway, surely.
didn't Port get rid of Dougal because they couldn't fit him into their defence? im not so sure they'll go after Gould myself. i think the Hawks may have shown interest in him though.
anyway I reckon we might find it hard to get a suitable deal now for pick 3 from GWS.
a swap with the Swans with 5 and 25 probably looks more appealing than GWSs 6 and a future first right now, with the added benefit of also not giving the Giants a leg up at the draft. i reckon GWS have got themselves into a bit of a half arsed position at the moment with nowhere really left to move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back