List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stretch was never going to be amazing but can’t help but feel we hurt his development a bit.
Melbourne certainly didn't get the best out of him. Showed enough early to think he could be a player but we decided to make him be something he wasn't

Exactly, 16-17 he looked like he could be a good accumulator on the outside then he just completely lost that part of his game for whatever reason.
I think part of the reason was he just stopped getting a run of games to settle in the side. God knows that's been given to others, but for whatever reason, he wasn't given the same opportunity.

Stretch was a very promising wingman early days who took the game on and moved the ball on quickly and efficiently, although he didnt have any standout attributes that you would like from an elite wingman; good overhead, blistering pace or a penetrating kick.

GC could do worse as hes apparently extremely professional and hard working

I thought We may have retained Stretch. He’s work ethic is apparently top notch. And he’s decent depth. I did find it interesting that he was actually drafted as an inside mid. Had some injuries at unfortunate times two in last two seasons.

He also had an incredibly low ceiling, we handled him poorly but he was never gonna be more than a 150 game player.
How dare you try to provide some kind of balanced analysis of departed players in this thread.

Can’t we just get back to melting over imagined conversations that the club may or may not be having about Jack Martin?

Stretch was the hard running winger we should of had rather than attempting to trade in the last 2 years.

I remember his stints in the VFL and back when they did VFL reviews the coaches said he was working on his contested ball stuff, as him and ANB were racking up 30 + games.

Our coahing is that one dimensional none of our naturally outside players have flourished and improved. We just keep trading them in. Just wait till Langdon and Tomlinson get sucked into the contest and their kicking gets even worse.

I approve of this tactic. So many reasons to do it (most of them petty, but it still counts), so few to not do it.

And isn't this just a variation on the scenario when a player has 1 year remaining on his contract and he's umming and ahhing about whether he's staying or leaving for another club, but instead of trading him, they keep him and try to persuade him to stay and buy in to the club he's at? That's likely what the Bombers are doing with Joe Daniher this year. So if he's a valuable player to us, and he has a couple of mates from GC already here, as long as he doesn't rabidly hate the MFC, maybe it's a calculated risk to give it a whirl. Especially if there are not better options on the horizon. It's also not dissimilar to the draft when it's known that a player wants to stay in his home state, but an interstate team drafts him anyway and does their best to change the way he feels.

But definitely the screwing with Carlton bit is the best...

Agree
We should have given this whole thing a few days to blow over and then gotten May to call Martin and tell him "hey mate, Dees are 90% gonna take you at any price, they've got the cap space etc, this is just a heads up" and then seen what might happen. The approach we've taken so far seems to be the worst one possible, but that's just Melbourne.

Totally agree. I’d love to play high stakes poker with Josh Mahoney. The guy flashes his cards around like a child playing UNO.

All that needed to be said by Melbourne here, if anything, was “We will canvas all options in the PSD and look to bring in the best player available at our pick. Jack Martin is certainly a talented player and one among several possibilities we would consider if he nominates for it.”

Instead we meekly say “We’re keen on him if he’s keen on us”. It’s such an insipid soundbite to spit our. And yes, so very Melbourne-like.

Give ‘em nothing, keep ‘em guessing, play hardball. When are we ever going to learn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stretch had all the attributes except poise with ball in hand. Too panicky at senior level. Difficult bordering on impossible to coach a player to remain calm in traffic and while being tackled once they develop that ‘hot potato’ habit. We need wingmen and runners a class above this.

Amazed JKH lasted as long as he did.

Stretch had all the attributes except poise with ball in hand. Too panicky at senior level. Difficult bordering on impossible to coach a player to remain calm in traffic and while being tackled once they develop that ‘hot potato’ habit. We need wingmen and runners a class above this.

Amazed JKH lasted as long as he did.

Sure you're not thinking of the Toump?

The Toump died for his sins, he deserves to be remembered for them without others tarnishing his legacy.

If I remember the Toump for other's sins, is that not an even greater legacy?

Josh Walker's been delisted. Could be good low-cost defensive cover. Been good at Brisbane for a few years now.
Yeah, I think he’s worth a list spot. Can play at either end, but yeah I’d prefer to use him as an option down back. Played some good footy for Brisbane down back in the 2nd half of 2018. Would be surprised if he’s not on another club’s playing list in 2020.

Exactly, 16-17 he looked like he could be a good accumulator on the outside then he just completely lost that part of his game for whatever reason.
got injured and then was never given another decent run in the seniors

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think he’s worth a list spot. Can play at either end, but yeah I’d prefer to use him as an option down back. Played some good footy for Brisbane down back in the 2nd half of 2018. Would be surprised if he’s not on another club’s playing list in 2020.

Only if he grows more hair. Seriously the guy looked like the oldest 20-something going around a couple of years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back