List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My old man was an immigrant wog who told my maternal grandfather that he’d do anything for his blessing to marry mum.

My grandfather told him that he would have to barrack for Melbourne and so would the grandkids.. my Dad instantly agreed. Dad had no idea what he was talking about.

Curse you granddad! If only my poor father knew what he was committing himself and his family too....

My old man was an immigrant wog who told my maternal grandfather that he’d do anything for his blessing to marry mum.

My grandfather told him that he would have to barrack for Melbourne and so would the grandkids.. my Dad instantly agreed. Dad had no idea what he was talking about.

Curse you granddad! If only my poor father knew what he was committing himself and his family too....
I would prefer to have not been born tbh

Try going for Melbourne due to the city being the Capital of Victoria. Thanks 7yo me. Though the first game I saw on TV was Melbourne beating Hawthorn (can't remember which game, I know so many) and before making that decision, it was always Melbourne + another club.

Those first two seasons were great before 2007 happened and footy became another reason to dislike school. Of course they came good once I graduated, well were good. Too late to quit on the club now.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I have the stupidest reason of all for being a Melbourne supporter. My best mate when I was 7 was from Adelaide and he told me he was a Melbourne supporter, one day he asked me, "which team do you go for?", I was very embarrassed because I hadn't even chosen a team yet (my dad was never interested in sport), so I just reflexively said "yeah, the Demons too", just to cover my embarrassment. Turns out the only reason he went for Melbourne was because his dad used to barrack for West Torrens in the SANFL when they lived in Adelaide, and when they moved to Melbourne he chose the Dees because they had the same colours.

So there you go, all this misery and disappointment for such a random set of circumstances. I briefly flirted with changing teams when I was 9 or 10, and I agonised over that decision for weeks, but in the end, I couldn't do it - my brain had obviously already decided that it was wrong to change teams and I never considered changing again. I'd like to believe that this speaks to something noble about me, but I suspect it probably just makes me a dickhead.

It's not really wrong to change teams if your team is Melbourne. I think you have three options, not all of which are mutually exclusive, if you have followed Melbourne >15 years
  • Keep following them, but just really ******* hate them and want the club to burn down (my approach)
  • Change teams - you are officially allowed to if a club is so incompetent and poorly run
  • OR keep following them and have a side team (I also do this)

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I flirted with the idea of switching to the Bulldogs in ‘85 as a ten year old. Bit of excitement when they played finals and made a prelim that year. But couldn’t go through with it and face the old man’s disappointment. Two years later we stormed into the finals, ‘Do it for Robbie’ and all that. Greatest highs (and lows) of my life, rusted me on as a Demon forever.

Never thought in a million years those bums across the Westgate would win a long awaited flag before us. Supporting Melbourne is like having a son with mild autism. You love him to bits but accept deep inside that he’s probably never going to pilot a Boeing 747 or become Prime Minister.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anybody know if our get together with Sam Murray has/is happened/happening.? Thought I read it was supposed to be this week, cannot find anything on it. If we get him that would be a great trade period. And if we did get him to commit could we consider Kemp at 3 and hope Jackson slides to 8 type scenario..

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had no choice in the matter of who I barracked for really. Was born right into it. My dad had me in a Melbourne jumper before i can remember. My first memories are good though. They start around 1987. So I remember a lot of finals wins and gun players. I do believe my grandpa (dads dad) was originally a Richmond supporter and changed to Melbourne as he would go to the footy with people who supported Melbourne and got himself an MCC membership. I think that’s the story anyway.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting Jon Ralph said in an article about Carlton yesterday that Martin didnt want to play for Melbourne due to issues with ex suns teammates who are now with us.

Interesting Jon Ralph said in an article about Carlton yesterday that Martin didnt want to play for Melbourne due to issues with ex suns teammates who are now with us.
there is a couple of Gold Coast supporters on here that have been banging on about May not getting on with quite a few of the other Gold Coast players.

Could be some truth in that, but just as likely that Ralphy has ripped that off from bigfooty too

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

there is a couple of Gold Coast supporters on here that have been banging on about May not getting on with quite a few of the other Gold Coast players.

Could be some truth in that, but just as likely that Ralphy has ripped that off from bigfooty too

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Rumours a few years back that May used to ride Martin for being soft as wet s**t. When he became skip demanded more from him. Apparently Martin was a bit precious about it.

Martin’s rep for being soft is the same reason we never looked at him before. I don’t think we’re going to lose sleep if we miss on him.

Rumours a few years back that May used to ride Martin for being soft as wet s**t. When he became skip demanded more from him. Apparently Martin was a bit precious about it.

Martin’s rep for being soft is the same reason we never looked at him before. I don’t think we’re going to lose sleep if we miss on him.
I have said all along he is very very over rated as a footballer so I am happy not to get him

I just want someone to * over Carlton with him tbh

Last edited:

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

With Daisy Thomas retired they had to find another bloke to pay $750k to produce three fifths of * all.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Michael Hatley tells Essendon GAGF I'm outta here. Offered a contract and said he wanted to explore his opportunities.

Only Robbie Flower and Paul Mcstay posters on my wall, my mum took the Sam Fox one down when I was a school
Lol, spent about 10 seconds thinking, 'I don't remember a Sam Fox playing for us' then triggered.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol, spent about 10 seconds thinking, 'I don't remember a Sam Fox playing for us' then triggered.

Ahh the 80’s.
Do you reckon Bon Jovi hit it?

8DF119A1-8898-431C-84BE-3CCAD420F213.jpeg

Back