List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I didn't think you could overdo it but all these fish puns are making me eel.

As soon as the draft is over we can all go wahoo and carp on about the selections.

Ill be too busy crying, eating ice cream out of a bucket and watching Hayden Young highlights on repeat.

Hope he at least goes to a Melbourne club so I can watch him play, same with Weightman.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Who are our inside mids though? Only Oliver would be deemed close to A grade. So bidding on Green to partner Oliver would surely be an upgrade on what we've got yeah? I mean honestly, Green seems more of a chance to become another Cripps/Oliver quality than Jackson to become a Grundy quality player. Fair chance Green takes half the time to reach potential as well. And all clubs are ranking him top 5, some top 2, while clubs are completely torn over where Jackson ranks. Some barely have him squeezing into the 1st round.

If i had a choice, I'd choose Green everytime. Rucks don't win you flags, in fact most sides win without a half decent one these days. Green and Oliver with Petracca/Viney/Harmes/Brayshaw in the middle would have me excited.
I was less talking of the specifics of each player, than I was the thought process of the arguments for and against.

With Green, and again, I'll preface this by saying I've watching about 8mins total of highlights of him, I can see him struggling to have a major impact, at least early on. His size is no doubt an advantage at AFL level, but its not going to be as much of an advantage as it is in the 18's and the NEAFL when he's SO much bigger than everyone else. Early days, I'm not sure he'll be able to stand up and keep his arms free in as many tackles like Cripps does, and he doesn't have the lightning hands that Oliver has. He also looks as slow as a wet week, which is going to make it that bit harder for him at AFL level when he can't get the separation he's used to.

Again, that's a severely uneducated opinion based purely on conjecture, and I'll not be surprised if he's the runaway winner of the Rising Star

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I was less talking of the specifics of each player, than I was the thought process of the arguments for and against.

With Green, and again, I'll preface this by saying I've watching about 8mins total of highlights of him, I can see him struggling to have a major impact, at least early on. His size is no doubt an advantage at AFL level, but its not going to be as much of an advantage as it is in the 18's and the NEAFL when he's SO much bigger than everyone else. Early days, I'm not sure he'll be able to stand up and keep his arms free in as many tackles like Cripps does, and he doesn't have the lightning hands that Oliver has. He also looks as slow as a wet week, which is going to make it that bit harder for him at AFL level when he can't get the separation he's used to.

Again, that's a severely uneducated opinion based purely on conjecture, and I'll not be surprised if he's the runaway winner of the Rising Star
Also people don't really understand football. Cripps is so good for Carlton because he does it alone, he had cart blanche to go for the ball and be first hands on it. He wouldn't be half the player if he was the 2nd or 3rd in the chain.

If we stick Green in at the centre bounce Oliver gets pushed down the chain so does Harmes and so does Brayshaw and so does Viney.

Viney was at his best before Oliver came along, Brayshaw at his best when he was the man in the middle. Harmes at his best when he gets to be in at the bounce.

Keep adding inside blokes and we push those who are best at the coalface into positions they aren't comfortable with.

Oliver could play inside on his own, he doesn't need 15 teammates capable of doing the same thing because who the * does he give the ball too?

That's why we have 75 handballs at stoppages because all of our players are best at getting it and flicking on a handball.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also people don't really understand football. Cripps is so good for Carlton because he does it alone, he had cart blanche to go for the ball and be first hands on it. He wouldn't be half the player if he was the 2nd or 3rd in the chain.

If we stick Green in at the centre bounce Oliver gets pushed down the chain so does Harmes and so does Brayshaw and so does Viney.

Viney was at his best before Oliver came along, Brayshaw at his best when he was the man in the middle. Harmes at his best when he gets to be in at the bounce.

Keep adding inside blokes and we push those who are best at the coalface into positions they aren't comfortable with.

Oliver could play inside on his own, he doesn't need 15 teammates capable of doing the same thing because who the fu** does he give the ball too?

That's why we have 75 handballs at stoppages because all of our players are best at getting it and flicking on a handball.
Cripps is so good because he’s so good, best half a dozen mids in the games, the reason he’s always the number 1 banana at Carlton is because of his talent not the lack of talent his teammates bring to the table not withstanding Carltons other mids have lacked elite ability

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Oliver could play inside on his own, he doesn't need 15 teammates capable of doing the same thing because who the fu** does he give the ball too?

I agree, we need more inside contested beasts.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Cripps is so good because he’s so good, best half a dozen mids in the games, the reason he’s always the number 1 banana at Carlton is because of his talent not the lack of talent his teammates bring to the table not withstanding Carltons other mids have lacked elite ability
Point over your head.

I would bid on this post with pick 3

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No, just a bad point poorly made using a terrible example
Not really, I know the concept of Cripps playing on a wing and being less effective is tough for you to grasp but re read it half a dozen times and by next year you might actually be able to contribute something worth reading👍

Chins up.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not really, I know the concept of Cripps playing on a wing and being less effective is tough for you to grasp but re read it half a dozen times and by next year you might actually be able to contribute something worth reading👍

Chins up.
So your point is if you play someone out of position they won’t be as good, profound stuff TK lucky your here. Again terrible example and a useless point

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So your point is if you play someone out of position they won’t be as good, profound stuff TK lucky your here. Again terrible example and a useless point
No.
The point was the more inside players you shoe horn into a side the less they get to play there and become less effective.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would bid on this post with pick 3

Ridiculous. Why would you reach for this post with pick 3 when it would still be available at 10 and we so very clearly need posts with more memes in them?

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
No.
The point was the more inside players you shoe horn into a side the less they get to play there and become less effective.

I agree. At most you can have 22 inside players in a side. Any more than that is wasting fuel for the team bus.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Point over your head.
You know I played a bit of my footy in the centre and at no stage did we have anyone nominated as the number one two or three in the chain to get the ball. Guess I just didn't understand at the time.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You know I played a bit of my footy in the centre and at no stage did we have anyone nominated as the number one two or three in the chain to get the ball. Guess I just didn't understand at the time.

We did. Definitely prefer to have the ball in some players hands over others.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
We did. Definitely prefer to have the ball in some players hands over others.
Suppose it would have merits when you have a standout player but ours there wasn't much difference in ability, no left footer to take advantage with either.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What you never talked to the ruck about who was getting the tap? Never played with a tagger? Never had someone covering the back of the stoppage? Never had a bloke focusing on sharking the Oppo?

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
What you never talked to the ruck about who was getting the tap? Never played with a tagger? Never had someone covering the back of the stoppage? Never had a bloke focusing on sharking the Oppo?
All of the above but no one had cart blanche over everything and neither does Cripps.

Back