GWS

IMG_0671.png

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
What’s the deal with Taylor? Sounds nasty.

I had Salmonella earlier in the year and got hit with first Myocarditis and then reactive arthritis, hearing he had infection in his joints reminded me of my own ordeal. Although the diagnosis was slow and protracted in my own case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
The taylor injury seems just so typical of our injury luck. Fancy a bacterial infection impacting your joints!
With the limited training block post
Lockdown I expected more
Soft tissue injuries but that just pure hard luck!

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just borrowing from the Scully playbook of 2018. The neverending story 8-10 week timeframe.
It must just be so difficult to predict a turn around time for a soft tissue injury. Each player would recover at diffeerent rates and if he isnt meeting the expected standards on a typical recovery 3-4 weeks in to the recovery, then I don't know how they could accurately predict what it will look like 2-3 months down the track

Sports physio in a professional team must suck as a job

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
It must just be so difficult to predict a turn around time for a soft tissue injury. Each player would recover at diffeerent rates and if he isnt meeting the expected standards on a typical recovery 3-4 weeks in to the recovery, then I don't know how they could accurately predict what it will look like 2-3 months down the track

Sports physio in a professional team must suck as a job
True, I think it's the frustration of seeing the same timeline repeated week after week & the wondering whether they were covering up the true timeline ...

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
So to date this season GWS have had following soft tissue hammies/calves: Kennedy, Reid, Cumming, Williams, Davis, Hutchesson.

From what I can tell Brisbane have had one (Ellis-Yolman) and Melbourne have had none.

Melbourne recruited the super highly regarded Darren Burgess in the off season to head up their High Performance division.

Here's Max Gawn speaking about the programs he put in place during the Covid period to reduce injury rates upon resumption:

The proof seems like it's in the pudding there.

In terms of the Giants setup they finally replaced David Joyce at the end of 2019 and seemingly replaced him with one of his underlings - Nick Poulos!

I really find it amazing given the injury history at the club that they did not attempt to start fresh and look to recruit the absolute best available.

Maybe I'm missing something and this is more complex than it seems from the outside.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So to date this season GWS have had following soft tissue hammies/calves: Kennedy, Reid, Cumming, Williams, Davis, Hutchesson.

From what I can tell Brisbane have had one (Ellis-Yolman) and Melbourne have had none.

Melbourne recruited the super highly regarded Darren Burgess in the off season to head up their High Performance division.

Here's Max Gawn speaking about the programs he put in place during the Covid period to reduce injury rates upon resumption:

The proof seems like it's in the pudding there.

In terms of the Giants setup they finally replaced David Joyce at the end of 2019 and seemingly replaced him with one of his underlings - Nick Poulos!

I really find it amazing given the injury history at the club that they did not attempt to start fresh and look to recruit the absolute best available.

Maybe I'm missing something and this is more complex than it seems from the outside.
Nah the lions have had soft tissue injuries (with decent layoffs too) to Martin and Zorko as well.

Melbourne have also have decent layoffs to other players like Peaty, Preuss. Tomlinson (who had almost no issues here) and spargo also had big soft tissues injuries earlier in the season.

I think all clubs have seen an increase in soft tissue injuries this season due to the disrupted preparation. I think with injuries this year we are taking a very cautious approach. Greene for example is missing games here and there just due to soreness. I think that because missing 2-3 weeks with a calf in 2020 means probably 4-5 in a "normal" season due to the reduced fixtures.

In all i think we have seen an improvement in soft tissue injuries this year compared to last. I expect with the condensed fixture we might see more injuries in the near future unfortunately

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
That's a reasonable situation to be in for us.

I'd be keen to get Williams & his pace/zip back in, so as said elsewhere I'd be happy to replace Langdon in the forward 50 for this game given that he's been out for a few weeks. Let him run through the centre back or plug a backline hole a couple of times in the game.

Probably would want to limit the number of injury returnees, and after last week's win, would accept both Wardy & Mummy going througha scratch match to warm up for future games.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Probably would want to limit the number of injury returnees, and after last week's win, would accept both Wardy & Mummy going througha scratch match to warm up for future games.
Quicker than expected return from knee ligament strain I see.

Praying he doesn't run out onto the field with his knee in three layers of bandages last time this was attempted (KP 2019....).

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
That's a reasonable situation to be in for us.

I'd be keen to get Williams & his pace/zip back in, so as said elsewhere I'd be happy to replace Langdon in the forward 50 for this game given that he's been out for a few weeks. Let him run through the centre back or plug a backline hole a couple of times in the game.

We have missed Williams almost more than anyone this year apart from Toby

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back