The 2020 JUB JUB MEMORIAL Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing's going to work for the supercar mob, they're done. Gen 3, 4, 5, are not going to do it whatever it is. The jam has been taken out of the donut. It'll be interesting to see how the Titanic eventually sinks. If I were a "fan" though, I'd be thankful that the regs lasted 20 years longer than it should've as the top leading class in Australia.
When I say "thankful". I mean if I was a supercars fanboy, I'd be grateful it existed for so long at the expense of a more prosperous Aus motorsport community and more appropriate touring cars regs.

I think that must have been in qualifying, did seven laps in practice?

I'm surprised the TA2's are quicker than TCM. Maybe different on faster track.
More downforce I think

I’d be totally fine with it being GT3
Would encourage a different range of cars, but the issue is GT racing has never been super popular here.

The 12hr is slowly changing that but it'll be hard work.

Perhaps if it's THE main category then Supercars would actually promote it.

Would encourage a different range of cars, but the issue is GT racing has never been super popular here.

The 12hr is slowly changing that but it'll be hard work.

Perhaps if it's THE main category then Supercars would actually promote it.
I would support it as long as the racing isn’t slower than Supercars. * watching something like TCR with cars crawling around the track.

I would support it as long as the racing isn’t slower than Supercars. fu** watching something like TCR with cars crawling around the track.
TCR cars are at least relevant and the racing is great.

Works worldwide

Do you drive an Opel or a Mustang ??

I don't so it's far more relevant. Holden vs Ford died years ago.

So as long as it's 'relevant', nothing else matters? I suppose the new 'SuperUtes' is going gangbusters, then? I look forward to SuperSUVs as well.
Why did Group A die ?? Yeah Godzilla was killing it, but it does because there wasn't a competitive Commodore or Falcon, the 2 highest selling cars of the time.

The utes aren't race cars, they are horrid. Your attempt at humour is rather poor.

What's the point in your major national racing series having a car you can't buy on the showroom floor...... because there won't be any Holden showrooms in 2021.

Soon enough the Mustang will lose it's popularity too, it's a big fuel sucking V8. Then what ??

Of course the cars have to be relevant, that's the whole point.

made a better one :)

giphy.gif
Ouch

Why did Group A die ?? Yeah Godzilla was killing it, but it does because there wasn't a competitive Commodore or Falcon, the 2 highest selling cars of the time.

The utes aren't race cars, they are horrid. Your attempt at humour is rather poor.

What's the point in your major national racing series having a car you can't buy on the showroom floor...... because there won't be any Holden showrooms in 2021.

Soon enough the Mustang will lose it's popularity too, it's a big fuel sucking V8. Then what ??

Of course the cars have to be relevant, that's the whole point.

Missing the point. Does relevancy matter? Sure, but it's not the be all and end all, otherwise open-wheelers wouldn't exist. Excitement is just as much of a cause for people to take interest. Furthermore, every audience is different - what works in Europe won't necessarily work in Australia or America in attracting the same level of interest, because each country has different traditions of motor racing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing the point. Does relevancy matter? Sure, but it's not the be all and end all, otherwise open-wheelers wouldn't exist. Excitement is just as much of a cause for people to take interest. Furthermore, every audience is different - what works in Europe won't necessarily work in Australia or America in attracting the same level of interest, because each country has different traditions of motor racing.
The tradition with which our racing is built on no longer exists. There is no Falcon, there is no Commodore, and next year there will be no Holden.

If people bothered to check out TCR, they'd see one of, if not the most competitive racing series in the country.

Of course relevancy matters.

The tradition with which our racing is built on no longer exists. There is no Falcon, there is no Commodore, and next year there will be no Holden.

If people bothered to check out TCR, they'd see one of, if not the most competitive racing series in the country.

Of course relevancy matters.

I'd say our tradition is more about the style of car and how fast it goes, as Lebbo indicates in his lack of interest in TCR. I doubt he is alone in that regard.

All I’m saying is that you can have it if that’s what you like. There’s no attraction in it for me with TCR and the wife would be happier with me watching one less sporting series.

And this is the great issue facing supercars and Australian motorsport in general, determining what becomes the major car racing series that appeals to Australian race fans. For supercars survival, what is a relevant competitor to Ford and the Mustang? The half a dozen Camaros sold in Australia at exhorbitant prices ain't going to be an identifiable alternative for Commodore fans to cling on to. And I can't see any other options for Holden fans to migrate to.

TCR comfortably ticks the most boxes - the most relevant option in terms of cars people can identify with, high number of manufacturers involved, affordable, worldwide acceptance. But fans like yourself - of which there is a lot - suggests there is little interest in small car racing. And history suggests the same. Similar for GT racing.

So for a country seemingly only willing to accept tin top racing with v8s, what is the sustainable future? Because without a significant shift in mindset to accept change, I can't see a well supported mainstream racing series in Australia for the medium to long term.

I'd say our tradition is more about the style of car and how fast it goes, as Lebbo indicates in his lack of interest in TCR. I doubt he is alone in that regard.
Well the crowds are falling during Supercars, so the fans are clearly angling for change. What that is, who knows.

Now for the first parity whinge of the season. So T8 won the last 7 races of the season, you could say 8 if you think McLaughlin didn't deserve Bathurst. From that we saw FURTHER tweaks on the Mustang.... why ???

Reality is it was only 1 Mustang winning, and they clearly tinkered enough after the first half of the year.

Further to that, it's the top 2 teams doing all the winning.... not hamper those 2 and bring the rest closer.

decent hit from Pye... looked like something in the front-right failed either before he went over the bump at turn 7 or as he went over the bump itself... was a weird way to hit the wall on first inspection

So if they adopted Gt3 regs, how would a current Supercar change from what it is now?
A substantial amount more downforce, slower in a straight line. They were 20-30 kph slower down conrod yet 3 seconds a lap faster.

Balance of Power adjustments every race, slower refueling and tyre changes.

More manufacturers too

It's probably "cheaper" as well, though don't quote me on that.

Impressive times by Tickford and T8, these cars do look a lot harder to drive too.

Impressive by Mostert, the Walkinshaw cars are usually pretty quick around here.

Nothing's going to work for the supercar mob, they're done. Gen 3, 4, 5, are not going to do it whatever it is. The jam has been taken out of the donut. It'll be interesting to see how the Titanic eventually sinks. If I were a "fan" though, I'd be thankful that the regs lasted 20 years longer than it should've as the top leading class in Australia.

The unavoidable elephant in the room is the detachment from the aussie made car, as soon as Falcon left the room the FTA ratings dropped and 10 has dropped the majority of FTA coverage. Even this event there's no raceday coverage.

For some reason some are clinging on and argue against that, and argue interest is not waning. It is not for the pure race fan, Australian Touring car racing garnered giant size popularity on the back of the fan over fence watching his / her car tear up the black top decades ago and was always going to be safe as long the Jones's locally made car was competing.

Now it's Muzzie v Opel, how Australian is that? The muzzie is the epitome of the stars and stripes and apple pie, the 'commodore' - only the most uninformed would not know that the 'commodore' is a rebadged import.

There in lies the answer to the dying interest and the deathknell of supercars began as soon as there was notice that Falcon v Holden would at some point no longer exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back